Shaka and VCU

The home for Big East hoops

Shaka and VCU

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:55 am

Now that it seems that Shaka isn't going anywhere I think it might be the right time to make VCU (and prob. SLU) the next program(s) in. Shaka's a young coach who has shown the ability to win big (tourney) games, has put together a fantastic program and doesn't look like he's going anywhere for a loing time. I see him as the Mark Few of the East coast--years of success ahead. I know we are looking for "like" universities but just adding more Catholic institutions should not be the sole focus. If we want to be the best college hoops conference in the land, grab VCU now. I know it's a one year look, but with VCU and SLU the conference would have had 7 out of 12 in the Big Dance and 9 of 12 in the post season. Impressive. Think out of the box and grab Shaka and Co.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Shaka and VCU

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Shaka and VCU

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:58 am

East:
Prov.
SJU
SH
Nova
Gtwn
VCU

West:
X
Butler
Marq.
Depaul
Creighton
St. Lou

I like it.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby JohnT » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:58 am

It has to help VCU's chances because most people figure when Shaka leaves VCU that they'll drop off. There are 2 key things with VCU - public vs private and academic standards. A lot of VCU's recent players would not be able to be admitted to the other Big East schools. If the league establishes a standard that all schools must follow it would be easier to stomach the addition for school presidents I bet.
JohnT

Postby yorost » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:06 am

JohnT wrote:It has to help VCU's chances because most people figure when Shaka leaves VCU that they'll drop off. There are 2 key things with VCU - public vs private and academic standards. A lot of VCU's recent players would not be able to be admitted to the other Big East schools. If the league establishes a standard that all schools must follow it would be easier to stomach the addition for school presidents I bet.

VCU isn't that bad academically and being public is probably just a tad above being inconsequential. I don't know why people think it is such an issue they aren't private, this is nothing new to the world of any of our teams. Like-minded does not have to mean private school, it didn't mean Catholic school. Any issues with player eligibility can be corrected if what you say is true. The longer they stay successful and the more money they have to work with the easier recruiting will become for them.
yorost

Postby Edrick » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:22 am

VCU isnt and never will be a candidate to join this conference. Maybe they could join the Metro/America 12/whatever, but this league just isnt in the cards
Edrick

Postby Jet915 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:24 am

Edrick wrote:VCU isnt and never will be a candidate to join this conference. Maybe they could join the Metro/America 12/whatever, but this league just isnt in the cards

Agreed, although a lot of us don't think VCU being public as a huge issue, for some reason, I think the university president's do (just a hunch). Also, the America-12 would be a better fit for VCU. It's a good basketball conference (even after Louisville is gone), has a bunch of large public institutions and they also have football, which is something VCU is interested in upgrading in eventually.
Jet915

Postby BillEsq » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:34 am

I think private is the way to go. These presidents have shown that they like to run a "quiet" conference and most of the schools are catholic that budget in the typical "catholic university way" where everything seems to balance at the end of the year magically. By adding in a Public school you open some doors to the FOIA requests. I know it sounds silly but the one thing these presidents have shown in this whole process is that they value privacy and that they don't like sharing their decision making processes with the general public. A St. Louis, Dayton, Richmond would conceivably allow them to do that.

That said if the concern is sports VCU brings a good basketball program and some strong non-revs (soccer). Maybe the answer at the BE conference was that they were waiting to see what happened on the coaching carousel and now that Smart is staying VCU is in. I don't know just give the 12 spot to Incarnate Word and call it a done deal, at this point i think we have over analyzed this. :lol:
BillEsq

Postby marquette » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:43 am

I think the public vs private issue is one of privacy. A public university means that all internal documents related to the Big East are subject to the Freedom of Information Act. Academics is a concern, but I don't think it is as major of a problem as it is made out to be. One thing rarely brought up on this board is that VCU wants to add a major football program. There has been discussion that the Redskins using the city for off-season training (and upgrading the stadium there) will accelerate these plans. The last thing the Big East needs is a high profile member breaking away for another conference because of their football program. Isn't that what started this whole musical chairs routine in the first place?
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby yorost » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:46 am

We have a recent SI article saying VCU is still part of the discussion, you have to at least entertain the idea that they're possible. Yes, it was Thamel piece taking a crap on Georgetown, but there could be truth to it.

Can someone point to VCU football rumors?
yorost

Postby marquette » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:58 am

yorost wrote:We have a recent SI article saying VCU is still part of the discussion, you have to at least entertain the idea that they're possible. Yes, it was Thamel piece taking a crap on Georgetown, but there could be truth to it.

Can someone point to VCU football rumors?

There was this article in the middle of last year.
http://www.nbc12.com/story/18723342/vcu ... nouncement
There has been talk that it would be several years down the line, but without having to buy a new stadium who knows?
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board