Question about C7 / Big East NCAA units

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Question about C7 / Big East NCAA units

Postby marquette » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:03 pm

As a Marquette fan I'd be happy with the 50/50 split. We get to keep a decent portion of our earnings and get some good will from the incoming schools. Win/win as far as I'm concerned.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Masterofreality » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:47 pm

Xavier is leaving 13 units of it's own earning behind...a goodly chunk of change...not to mention the other units that the A10 had earned. This year's units would be substantial.

Xavier will be leaving behind over $2.3 million of its share of its own earned units. Besides that, XU has to pay a $2 million exit fee to the freaking A10 that it has basically held up by its hands for the last few years.

Yep. We're paying a chunk to join the BIg East. A little goodwill would be appreciated. :D
Masterofreality

Postby JohnT » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:50 am

Masterofreality wrote:Xavier is leaving 13 units of it's own earning behind...a goodly chunk of change...not to mention the other units that the A10 had earned. This year's units would be substantial.

Xavier will be leaving behind over $2.3 million of its share of its own earned units. Besides that, XU has to pay a $2 million exit fee to the freaking A10 that it has basically held up by its hands for the last few years.

Yep. We're paying a chunk to join the BIg East. A little goodwill would be appreciated. :D

Do we know if XU and Butler are paying the $2 million or if the league is?
JohnT

Postby yorost » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:55 am

Masterofreality wrote:Xavier is leaving 13 units of it's own earning behind...a goodly chunk of change...not to mention the other units that the A10 had earned. This year's units would be substantial.

Considering you're probably not paying $2 million but the Big East is, seems petty to hold that against them. Maybe that isn't true, but it sure seemed like that was the case as the announcements neared. Beyond that, if the Big East really did rush the divorce for Fox and left money behind they probably didn't need to, I think Xavier has no place to complain. You don't think the Seven are taking a hit in tourney credit payouts, too? I'm pretty sure their average payout went down as they left all those ACC/BXII defection credits behind while you can't bring yours with you. It's not the Seven's fault that they were in a conference with a divorce agreement while the other schools were not. That agreement paid huge dividends that arguably aren't really due to the other schools. Would you ahve been happier if they swapped sides on that agreement and took all the money for themselves while leaving behind the name, MSG contract, history and left two years later?

The financial situation is hardly clear to rat on the Seven.
yorost

Postby Masterofreality » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:28 pm

Who's complaining?

Just stating facts. I don't know where the speculation is coming from that the league is paying XU's exit fee. Maybe Fox is paying it and XU agreed to take $2 million less of the TV money. Either way, it's leaving a lot of units behind and an exit fee being paid via XU in some form.

It is what it is and we Xavier guys are very happy to join with our fellow schools.
Masterofreality

Postby yorost » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:10 pm

The rumors were that the expenses related to the conference changes would come out of the media pool prior to it being split, i.e. exit fees, costs to lawyers for the divorce settlement, new offices, etc. That would apparently be why everyone gets an even split off the bat.
yorost

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board