SLU - coaching job question

The home for Big East hoops

Postby admin » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:24 pm

Does SLU retain Crews long term? He did a heck of a job this year and I'm sure he could find work elsewhere if SLU doesn't retain him. I just wondered what the SLU fans were thinking on this.
admin
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: SLU - coaching job question

Postby PMThor » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:12 pm

I'm not sure if you are aware of the history of Crews when he coached at Evansville and the story about Chris Mack when he was a player. Apparently during a game with dayton, Mack was ordered to inbounds the ball off the face of a dayton player because they were crowding the line. Twice. Mack did it, but transferred out to Xavier after that. He has specifically talked about this event as to why he felt comfortable leaving Evansville.

As for him coaching SLU from here on out, I would look elsewhere. He was handed an absolutely stacked team thanks to Majerus. His previous history in the past 10 years or so hasn't been what I would call eye opening. But just my opinion. SLU can do better.
Always remember that you are unique; just like everyone else
PMThor

Postby ljay » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:58 am

Tubby?
ljay

Postby Masterofreality » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:23 am

Ben Howland.

STL seems like a good place to land...just like it was for Rick.
Masterofreality

Postby SpiderFan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:55 am

I just don't see how after the year he had with the personal losses hitting that team and their rise to the Round of 32 that you could justify him not getting the job. If he was so objectionable to begin with because of his past he wouldn't have been allowed to be on staff in the 1st place. Regardless, what more did you want from an interim coach, he doubled as regular season and A10 tourney champions. And won a tourney game. What else was he supposed to do?
SpiderFan

Postby BillEsq » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:18 am

I think most Slu fans are ok with Crews. Most people consider him a top notch X and Os guy he has at least one good recruit coming next year and over all handles a team pretty well. The typical argument against him is the what have you done for me recently "conveniently put at 10 years" most people disregard this is over the past decade he coached at army and was a tv analyst. He had some success at Evansville and is generally well thought of in Indiana, most locals consider the fault of the demise of the Evansville program to the AD at that time.

The biggest knock on Crews is that he is not young and does not have a power name. Although some of the accolades he has received this year might mitigate that, and while he is older its not like he has one foot in the grave and will likely have a 5-7 year of productive coaching. Bizarrely while he is usually knocked on recruiting it is recruiting that might keep him in St. Louis. Right now with this past years story he has established his name in St. Louis. The City of St. Louis is looking to produce a stud recruiting class in the 2014 and 2015 years. Any new coach would have to come in and on short notice and build up a line of communication with these highschool Jrs. and Srs. Crews by already being there and having all the coach of the year accolades is now for better or worse a known commodity in st louis, and will have an upper hand over just about any incoming coach.
BillEsq

Postby BillikensWin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:24 pm

From the interview he gave to the asshats at 590 in STL, it sure looks like he's going to be the man.
Saint Louis University: Proud Members of the Big Atlantic Valley Conference
BillikensWin

Postby Hoops » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:30 pm

SpiderFan wrote:I just don't see how after the year he had with the personal losses hitting that team and their rise to the Round of 32 that you could justify him not getting the job. If he was so objectionable to begin with because of his past he wouldn't have been allowed to be on staff in the 1st place. Regardless, what more did you want from an interim coach, he doubled as regular season and A10 tourney champions. And won a tourney game. What else was he supposed to do?

I believe it was Steve Davis who filled in similarly at Indiana when Knight was fired - After knights recruits were gone, so was IU.
Hoops

Postby Muskie » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:33 pm

Hoops wrote:
SpiderFan wrote:I just don't see how after the year he had with the personal losses hitting that team and their rise to the Round of 32 that you could justify him not getting the job. If he was so objectionable to begin with because of his past he wouldn't have been allowed to be on staff in the 1st place. Regardless, what more did you want from an interim coach, he doubled as regular season and A10 tourney champions. And won a tourney game. What else was he supposed to do?

I believe it was Steve Davis who filled in similarly at Indiana when Knight was fired - After knights recruits were gone, so was IU.

Mike Davis. Who I think is coaching at UAB.
Muskie

Postby Dew » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:44 pm

Muskie wrote:
Hoops wrote:

Mike Davis. Who I think is coaching at UAB.

I thought Davis got canned at UAB?
Dew

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board