Villanova Review 2024

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Villanova Review 2024

Postby DeltaV » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:04 pm

EMT wrote:Can some Nova fans add some perspective on these portals?

In my opinion, the portal and this basically free agency is going to kill Jay's style of team building. The trust required between teammates who had played together 2, 3, 4 years, starting as redshirts, progressing to subs and then starters is how that offense worked. You can't get that with a team of mercenaries. Hell, that's usually how the big upsets usually happened in March Madness; you'd get a mid major full of Seniors fired up playing a team of NBA prospects who didn't really give a shit.

Unless you can get a way to convince recruits to stay for a period of time, I'm not sure if we can recreate the success of 2016 (and earlier, really 2009) thru 2020. That's why Jay retired, he saw what was going to happen and said "I don't want to deal with this", took his ball and went home.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:23 am

DeltaV wrote:
EMT wrote:Can some Nova fans add some perspective on these portals?

In my opinion, the portal and this basically free agency is going to kill Jay's style of team building. The trust required between teammates who had played together 2, 3, 4 years, starting as redshirts, progressing to subs and then starters is how that offense worked. You can't get that with a team of mercenaries. Hell, that's usually how the big upsets usually happened in March Madness; you'd get a mid major full of Seniors fired up playing a team of NBA prospects who didn't really give a shit.

Unless you can get a way to convince recruits to stay for a period of time, I'm not sure if we can recreate the success of 2016 (and earlier, really 2009) thru 2020. That's why Jay retired, he saw what was going to happen and said "I don't want to deal with this", took his ball and went home.

Totally agree. I think the programs like Nova, Virginia, I suspect eventually Houston with Sampson- are all going to be really hurt by things.
stever20

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board