Providence Review 2024

The home for Big East hoops

Providence Review 2024

Postby OmahaGuy » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:18 pm

An interesting first year of the Kim English era came to an end. Let’s talk about how it went.

OUT
*Garwey Dual (declared for draft and hit the portal)
*Ticket Gaines (out of eligibility)
*Josh Oduro (out of eligibility)
*Devin Carter (going pro)
*Rafael Castro (transferred to George Washington)

STAY
*Bryce Hopkins
*Jayden Pierre
*Corey Floyd
*Rich Barron

IN
*Ryan Mela
*Bensley Joseph (transfer from Miami)
*Christ Essandoko (transfer from St Joes)
*Jabri Abdur-Rahim (transfer from Georgia)
*Wes Cardet (transfer from Chicago State)

My 0.02
I think Providence would’ve not only made the tournament but made a run in the tourney if Hopkins hadn’t gotten hurt. Ugh! What could’ve been! Still though, Kim English had those boys playing hard all season and Carter took his game to a whole new level when Hopkins went down. Dude is an absolute baller. I do however have concerns about Kim’s recruiting. I credit him for taking Gaines and Oduro with him from George Mason to PC and turning them into good players in the Big East but those 2 guys are out of eligibility now and as for essentially everyone on the ‘stay’ list, they were recruited by Cooley. I want to judge a coach with how he does with his own guys instead of his predecessors. HS recruiting class is unimpressive as of now. Hopefully English can get some studs in the portal. He’ll need a good offseason.
UPDATE: Not terribly surprised to see Carter go pro. Still a major loss though. Better hope Hopkins stays
Last edited by OmahaGuy on Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:01 pm, edited 8 times in total.
OmahaGuy

Providence Review 2024

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Providence Review 2024

Postby EMT » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:33 am

Decent job here Omaha.

1. Carter to the NBA is basically confirmed internally and KE is approaching the portal with that in mind.

2. Little used Donovan Santoro to the portal.

3. On Jan 1 Top #25, PC with BHop was #23. IMHO, they would have stayed ranked the rest of the year without the injury. Ticket Gaines was a warrior out of position the rest of the season.

4. Ticket's outside shot after breaking his face against SJU was never the same with the mask. They might have danced if this injury doesn't happen.

5. On recruiting, I get your point. We will wait and see. He did have more 4/5 stars in this year than arguably the entire Cooley era. He needs to now close some. (Mostly 2025 kids) Mu guess is he's gearing to 2025 and using the portal to fortify next year.

6. Top 75-100 transfer from George Mason, Justin Fernandez tore his ACL last summer and will be ready to go. He arguably could have played Feb on this year without the redshirt.

7. Eli DeLaurier skipped his Sr year in HS and was redshirted this year. Jury is out and needs tons of weight room and training table meals but has good pedigree.

8. Ryan Mela is rated low but was 1st Team in NESCAC
EMT

Postby stever20 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:45 am

Carter declares for the NBA Draft and hiring an agent.
stever20

Postby billyjack » Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:40 pm

Also incoming on the Friars roster for 24-25 is a 7-foot transfer from a Jr College in Arizona named Anton Bonke (it says he's from Vanuatu in the South Pacific). And as EMT mentioned above, George Mason transfer Justyn Fernandes is now healthy, at guard. Both will be sophs next season.

Oswin Erhunmwanse is also arriving, another big man.
Providence
billyjack

Postby CoachK » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:34 pm

Is there a way to post tweets here ?

https://twitter.com/TiptonEdits/status/ ... 1399671167
CoachK

Postby Sparky11 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:08 pm

Cardet is a big get.
Sparky11

Return to Big East basketball message board