The home for Big East hoops

Butler Review 2024

Postby OmahaGuy » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:05 pm

A step in the right direction after having awful teams in recent years

OUT
*Jalen Thomas (out of eligibility)
*DJ Davis (transferring to Washington)
*Posh Alexander
*Connor Turnbull (transferring to Evansville)
*Finley Bizjack

STAY
*Jahmyl Telfort
*Pierre Brooks
*Andre Screen
*Landon Moore
*Boden Kapke
*Augusto Cassia

IN
*Patrick McCaffrey (transfer from Iowa)
*Jamie Kaiser (transfer from Maryland)
*Evan Haywood

My 0.02
Butler was actually in the tourney conversation for a good while of the season. Unfortunately, a late season falter would doom them and then lost in the first round of the NIT to Minnesota at home. Lost 8 of the last 11 to end the season including losing 5 straight at one point. Yikes. Still Butler had their moments such as road wins over Creighton and Marquette, beat a good Texas Tech squad at home and taking 2 out of 3 games vs rival Xavier.

Ok is DJ Davis actually in the portal? I’ve seen reports that he is and I’ve also seen statements to the contrary. I’ll put him in the ‘out’ category for now until we get a clear word from him. It would be a tough blow for the Bulldogs if he left. If he stays, they’ve got him, Telfort, Brooks, Bizjack, and Alexander as pieces to work with next season. Thad Matta and the Dawgs should take that next step and get back to the dance. Anything less is unacceptable.
UPDATE: Davis is indeed in the portal. Why? Why on earth would he leave Butler?
UPDATE II: With Davis and Bizjack both in the portal, Butler loses 2 of their top shooters. I still don’t understand why either would leave. Anyway, Alexander, Telfort and Brooks is a good core to build around and they just added Patrick McCaffrey from Iowa. Tough dude. A cancer survivor and someone who’s battled anxiety problems. He’s also a decent player on the court. Hoping it works out for him in Indy.
Last edited by OmahaGuy on Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:21 pm, edited 10 times in total.
OmahaGuy

Butler Review 2024

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Butler Review 2024

Postby kmacker69 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:26 pm

DJ Davis from Butler is not yet in the portal. (There is one from another school. But nothing from him on it.)

John Mikel Mulloy is out and Artemios Gavalas is in the portal.

Just need to keep the core and add in a pace or two and we'll take the next step forward.
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:38 am

I hope Davis, Brooks, Telfort and Posh all return. Dawgs would be a tournament team.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby butlerguy03 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:10 pm

It is official, the other day DJ Davis did enter the transfer portal.

So far, out is: Jalen Thomas (grad), John Michael Mulloy (grad), DJ Davis (transfer 2x), Artemios Gavalas (transfer 2x - walk-on).

In: Evan Haywood

Open:2 scholarships
Butler University '03
butlerguy03

Postby DanofXav76 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:31 am

OmahaGuy wrote:A step in the right direction after having awful teams in recent years

OUT
*Jalen Thomas
*DJ Davis
*Connor Turnbull

STAY
*Posh Alexander
*Jahmyl Telfort
*Pierre Brooks
*Andre Screen
*Landon Moore
*Boden Kapke
*Augusto Cassia
*Finley Bizjack

IN
*Evan Haywood

My 0.02
Butler was actually in the tourney conversation for a good while of the season. Unfortunately, a late season falter would doom them and then lost in the first round of the NIT to Minnesota at home. Lost 8 of the last 11 to end the season including losing 5 straight at one point. Yikes. Still Butler had their moments such as road wins over Creighton and Marquette, beat a good Texas Tech squad at home and taking 2 out of 3 games vs rival Xavier.

Ok is DJ Davis actually in the portal? I’ve seen reports that he is and I’ve also seen statements to the contrary. I’ll put him in the ‘out’ category for now until we get a clear word from him. It would be a tough blow for the Bulldogs if he left. If he stays, they’ve got him, Telfort, Brooks, Bizjack, and Alexander as pieces to work with next season. Thad Matta and the Dawgs should take that next step and get back to the dance. Anything less is unacceptable.
UPDATE: Davis is indeed in the portal. Why? Why on earth would he leave Butler?

Love your individual Season in Review posts Omaha! Gives me a bit of a feel for where things are at, heading into the summer. Not many highlights for us Xavier fans, but we actually did beat our rival Butler 2 out of 3 this year. Double digit win in Cincinnati, close loss at Hinkle, very close win in the BE Tourney.
DanofXav76

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:21 am

Finley Bizjack in the portal.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby OmahaGuy » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:29 am

Why are Davis and Bizjack in the portal? They seemed to be in good situations there and were poised to take another step up next season. Does Butler have weak NIL? What is it? Butler folks, did you see this coming?
OmahaGuy

Postby kmacker69 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:34 pm

Big money in Texas in Biz's ear is the speculation. DJ had someone in his ear also and it was from a red team in the BE is the rumor. :roll:
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby kmacker69 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:42 pm

Biz didn't want to wait another year to start at point guard with Posh coming back is the word. Can't blame him I guess.
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:12 am

Iowa's Patrick McCaffrey to the Dawgs. Solid pickup.
Wizard of Westroads

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board