Big East should stay at 10 teams

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East should stay at 10 teams

Postby augkash » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:44 pm

This is true. I am a Xavier fan, but dayton wouldn't bring anything to the Big East. No new tv footprint, haven't done JACK in terms of NCAA success in the last 20 years...but but they fill their arena! If the Big East is looking for a bigger TV footprint, SLU and Richmond are bettter choices, and Hell are just as good if not better in terms of NCAA tourney success.

I don't want them in the league. And I dare say, if most of you have dealt with those fans, they are a delusional bunch, over hyping "accomplishments" that either are 60 years old or are totally irrational. Check out UDpride if you doubt me, there is a thread on there...that actually touts the Atlantic Ten over the New Big East. With many people agreeing. Schmucks.
[/quote]

You keep talking about how bad dayton fans are but I think Xavier's fan have shown their true colors on here you guys have made it really hard for me to come on he re BC all I see is you guys bashing dayton and talking trash. You guys need to grow up. Now let's get back to talking about basketball
augkash

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby anXUfan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:03 pm

My main regret with moving beyond 10 would be loss of the round robin schedule. It's harder to build rivalries when someone only comes to your place every other year. It sucks.
anXUfan

Postby anXUfan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:09 pm

You keep talking about how bad dayton fans are but I think Xavier's fan have shown their true colors on here you guys have made it really hard for me to come on he re BC all I see is you guys bashing dayton and talking trash. You guys need to grow up. Now let's get back to talking about basketball

Don't lump all Xavier fans together. I'm completely meh on Dayton. I'm not sure there's a better addition, but I think any addition at all would negatively affect my enjoyment as a Xavier season ticket holder. I don't want to see Villanova and Georgetown just once every two years.
anXUfan

Postby Muskie » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:49 am

anXUfan wrote:

Don't lump all Xavier fans together. I'm completely meh on Dayton. I'm not sure there's a better addition, but I think any addition at all would negatively affect my enjoyment as a Xavier season ticket holder. I don't want to see Villanova and Georgetown just once every two years.

Agree. If Dayton is in the next round of additions great. If they're not, Great. I as a Xavier fan don't get all riled up for Dayton. There is certainly a segment of the Xavier fanbase that does.
Muskie

Postby dmac80 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:44 am

ArmyVet wrote:I've been debating this a lot lately and I have come to the conclusion that the Big East should stay at ten schools for the foreseeable future. This allows for a round robin regular season which determines a true champion. More importantly there are only 10 schools to divide up media rights and NCAA units between. Adding two more schools without a significant increase in money from FOX wouldn't make sense financially.

In 5 years if the league wants to add schools it is possible that due to other realignment around the nation that better schools might be available then than there are now too.

Am I crazy thinking 10 > 12?

Disagree. I think in the end bigger is better AS LONG AS the programs added are solid and not just filler. The more teams that get in the big dance the better, from a financial and perception perspective, and to get the higher numbers invited you need a larger conference. 10 is too small. 12 is perfect, imo. I do realize more members means more dividing of the money, but Fox should be offering more for more content and again more invites to NCAA, more chances at a member winning it all, and a more exciting conf tourney trumps that definite advantage of RR, imo...
Let's Go FRIARS!
dmac80

Postby PMThor » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:02 pm

I don't really think there is a rush to expand to 12 though. Take a couple of years and evaluate how 10 does. If 12 makes better economic sense and helps IMPROVE the conference, then great, evaluate the programs that fit well in the conference. And to be honest, there are quite a few programs that fit the conference and aren't in conference programs back yards. There is no reason to rush expansion and accept programs into the league that don't meet ALL the standards that the league expects from members.
Always remember that you are unique; just like everyone else
PMThor

Postby sarp » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:32 pm

I think it is wise to wait and see what happens with Maryland and its lawsuit with the ACC. If the ACC implodes, there might be an opportunity to pick up a bigger brand name school. I almost wonder if that is why the Presidents decided to stop at 10, and are playing the wait and see game. The other schools mentioned, SLU, Richmond, Dayton, etc will still be around next year.
Creighton Fan since the 1980's
sarp

Postby cm5yz6 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:03 pm

sarp wrote:I think it is wise to wait and see what happens with Maryland and its lawsuit with the ACC. If the ACC implodes, there might be an opportunity to pick up a bigger brand name school. I almost wonder if that is why the Presidents decided to stop at 10, and are playing the wait and see game. The other schools mentioned, SLU, Richmond, Dayton, etc will still be around next year.

I actually think they are going to announce the other 2 schools before July 1. Who will they be? When will they join? That I am not as positive, but I think we'll get another announcement, which I know contradicts what we heard at the press conference, but I think its going to happen. Just my feeling.
cm5yz6

Postby ljay » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:25 pm

Am I correct in my belief that STL or whoever out of the A10 has to give at least 12 months notice to reduce the exit fee to $1MM? If so, by not doing so now does that make it less likely there will be future expansion? Sure seems like many thought Creighton got in before others due to minimal exit costs but that STL and Dayton or Richmond would get in next. However, that line of thinking requires notice to the A10 now.
ljay

Postby Dew » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:14 pm

ljay wrote:Am I correct in my belief that STL or whoever out of the A10 has to give at least 12 months notice to reduce the exit fee to $1MM? If so, by not doing so now does that make it less likely there will be future expansion? Sure seems like many thought Creighton got in before others due to minimal exit costs but that STL and Dayton or Richmond would get in next. However, that line of thinking requires notice to the A10 now.

Great point. If we are going to 12 teams we should know them before July 1. Since we haven't heard anything I tend to think we stay at 10.
Dew

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board