Big East should stay at 10 teams

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East should stay at 10 teams

Postby SpiderFan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:53 am

With the way that the A10 is adding at least 2 schools (George Mason already in) you would have to imagine that they expect/think that 2 more of their brethren are leaving for the Big East next year. Those 2 teams aren't known yet but they are definitely coming from that conference.
SpiderFan

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Edrick » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:02 am

augkash wrote:
PMThor wrote:[b,]As long as we keep dayton out of the conference, I don't care if we have 11 or 34 or 17, whatever the higher ups think is best.[/b]

So what's your problem with Dayton? They are gonna get in BC of their RPI ,TV and they get 13500 per game

They aren't going to get in because Xavier will oppose them and you can take to the bank that Butler will support Xavier. Whatever the votes are required to keep Dayton out (they already don't have any love from Marquette, etc), they'll get them
Edrick

Postby BillEsq » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:33 am

xu95 wrote:
augkash wrote:
PMThor wrote:[b,]As long as we keep dayton out of the conference, I don't care if we have 11 or 34 or 17, whatever the higher ups think is best.[/b]

So what's your problem with Dayton? They are gonna get in BC of their RPI ,TV and they get 13500 per game

They sure won't help with bringing in any NCAA credits.

Actually a team like Dayton would help bring in NCAA units... (and yes people they are units not credits) Dayton on a down year pulled a 104 RPI. If you look at their low average RPI's they generally hit about a 50-80 rpi. While maybe not tournament level they add to the quality win totals of other bubble teams pushing them over the edge and into the tournament. I can explain the math but it would take way to long and their are plenty of RPI articles out there. put it this way in a 10 team league of the current BE. Nova would probably have not made the bubble. However add 2 top 100 RPI teams and presto they go to the likely in and therefore add a NCAA unit. Whether you like the RPI or not you have to learn to play the game to get in.

And yes I said a Dayton like team. It does not have to be Dayton but Dayton fits the profile of a school that has a long term history of playing top 100 SOS and finishing in the top 100 RPI. If you don't want Dayton you could just substitute a similar school.

On a side note I really do not understand the bizarre thing you Xavier fans on here have for Dayton. You bash them at all times, I don't even want to count how many threads you guys have destroyed by useless arguments with Dayton fans. This thread is a classic example. What makes it even worse is that in this thread the Dayton fans aren't even responding... its just you guys bashing- in effect you hijacked this thread all by yourselves. I know a lot of Xavier fans personally and have never met anyone close to being as fixated on any school let alone Dayton. I understand that you don't like Dayton, I'm sure everyone on this board understands that you don't like Dayton. Now please stop repeating it in every other thread.
BillEsq

Postby Bob » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:40 am

I am not a Dayton fan at all but I could certainly do without all the Xavier fans gloating and dissing Dayton. That being said, I believe there are better choices out there than the flyers if the big east wanted more schools.
Bob

Postby cm5yz6 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:41 am

BillEsq wrote:
xu95 wrote:

They sure won't help with bringing in any NCAA credits.

Actually a team like Dayton would help bring in NCAA units... (and yes people they are units not credits) Dayton on a down year pulled a 104 RPI. If you look at their low average RPI's they generally hit about a 50-80 rpi. While maybe not tournament level they add to the quality win totals of other bubble teams pushing them over the edge and into the tournament. I can explain the math but it would take way to long and their are plenty of RPI articles out there. put it this way in a 10 team league of the current BE. Nova would probably have not made the bubble. However add 2 top 100 RPI teams and presto they go to the likely in and therefore add a NCAA unit. Whether you like the RPI or not you have to learn to play the game to get in.

And yes I said a Dayton like team. It does not have to be Dayton but Dayton fits the profile of a school that has a long term history of playing top 100 SOS and finishing in the top 100 RPI. If you don't want Dayton you could just substitute a similar school.

On a side note I really do not understand the bizarre thing you Xavier fans on here have for Dayton. You bash them at all times, I don't even want to count how many threads you guys have destroyed by useless arguments with Dayton fans. This thread is a classic example. What makes it even worse is that in this thread the Dayton fans aren't even responding... its just you guys bashing- in effect you hijacked this thread all by yourselves. I know a lot of Xavier fans personally and have never met anyone close to being as fixated on any school let alone Dayton. I understand that you don't like Dayton, I'm sure everyone on this board understands that you don't like Dayton. Now please stop repeating it in every other thread.

I like that you corrected the usage of credits/units, then misused their/there. I am not usually one to call out grammar stuff, but I found that funny.
cm5yz6

Postby BillEsq » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:52 am

lol i'm dyslexic :lol: . its not the grammar an NCAA unit is something totally different than a NCAA credit. A spelling mistake is one thing. calling a cow a chicken is quite another. Sorry it just gets confusing. There are NCAA credits, units, and counters and all have different meanings. Heaven forbid i could care less about the grammar and i expect misspellings and bad grammar but a unit is a unit and a credit is a credit. NCAA units are earned in the tournament a NCAA credit is used in determining a schools APR.
BillEsq

Postby ArmyVet » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:32 am

SLU might be able to add to the NCAA units for the Big East. Not sure if their APR issues would have a bearing on a Big East invite?
ArmyVet

Postby BillEsq » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:50 am

ArmyVet wrote:SLU might be able to add to the NCAA units for the Big East. Not sure if their APR issues would have a bearing on a Big East invite?

Slu is well above the APR cutoff line and i think Slu at its low average is a top 100 rpi team at a top 100 SOS so it will at worst help push other teams over the bubble. Obviously next year we return the same team that has earned two units the past two years. So next year we would be a hot commodity, but i like to look at teams at their low averages to consider whether or not they would fit the conference for the long term.
BillEsq

Postby classof29 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:10 pm

Edrick wrote:
augkash wrote:

They aren't going to get in because Xavier will oppose them and you can take to the bank that Butler will support Xavier. Whatever the votes are required to keep Dayton out (they already don't have any love from Marquette, etc), they'll get them

I don't think anyone will be blocking anyone else, and votes won't matter because when these schools (and their presidents) act it will be in absolute unison and decisions will be unanimous.
Providence College
classof29

Postby PMThor » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:52 pm

marquette wrote:
augkash wrote:

If I had were to venture a guess I would say he is probably a Xavier fan. I don't know the history, beyond the fact that they have a long-standing rivalry, but for some reason Dayton and Xavier seem to really hate one another. To be honest it's the reason I kind of want to pick Dayton up. You can't manufacture that kind of rivalry.

This is true. I am a Xavier fan, but dayton wouldn't bring anything to the Big East. No new tv footprint, haven't done JACK in terms of NCAA success in the last 20 years...but but they fill their arena! If the Big East is looking for a bigger TV footprint, SLU and Richmond are bettter choices, and Hell are just as good if not better in terms of NCAA tourney success.

I don't want them in the league. And I dare say, if most of you have dealt with those fans, they are a delusional bunch, over hyping "accomplishments" that either are 60 years old or are totally irrational. Check out UDpride if you doubt me, there is a thread on there...that actually touts the Atlantic Ten over the New Big East. With many people agreeing. Schmucks.
Always remember that you are unique; just like everyone else
PMThor

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board