No Statement From The League Office...??

The home for Big East hoops

Re: No Statement From The League Office...??

Postby billyjack » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:41 am

stever20 wrote:
billyjack wrote:On the ScoutFriars board, someone mentioned that the Committee admitted that they actually downgraded Seton Hall's win over UConn due to Clingan missing the second half. That is unbelievable to me. Wow.

makes me wonder if you guys would have gotten full credit beating Marquette w/o Kolek.

Excellent point.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:04 am

And similarly Villanova the round before.
stever20

Postby LewEE » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:09 am

I'm a big gawker on this board and never post but this really fires me up. Just got home from BET. You can not convince me that there is a higher level basketball league in the country. Couple things. League does need to have our backs. It won't help this year but we need the statement going forward. Also some statements from old guard like Calhoun, maybe Bruce Rasmussen who actually chaired the committee would go a long ways. Fox needs to have our back also. They need to make it a big deal. They also need to promote us as the best league in CBB. As a Creighton fan, this scares the hell out of me because I know how cyclical this league is. Georgetown rise will make us cannibalize each other even more going forward so we need that narrative out there.
LewEE

Postby GreatDaneAttorney » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:01 am

Big East got 7 bids in 2017, and really we weren't far off this year. Creighton lost two key games to the MWC that probably vaulted that league's rankings, and Nova was all over the board. Didn't help that DePaul and Georgetown continued to be historically awful--a competent DePaul by itself probably adds 1-2 bids by itself.
GreatDaneAttorney

Postby ArmyVet » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:02 am

GreatDaneAttorney wrote:Big East got 7 bids in 2017, and really we weren't far off this year. Creighton lost two key games to the MWC that probably vaulted that league's rankings, and Nova was all over the board. Didn't help that DePaul and Georgetown continued to be historically awful--a competent DePaul by itself probably adds 1-2 bids by itself.

What happens if that TCU-Hoyas outcome was reversed and correctly adjudicated?
ArmyVet

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:07 am

GreatDaneAttorney wrote:Big East got 7 bids in 2017, and really we weren't far off this year. Creighton lost two key games to the MWC that probably vaulted that league's rankings, and Nova was all over the board. Didn't help that DePaul and Georgetown continued to be historically awful--a competent DePaul by itself probably adds 1-2 bids by itself.

Especially Colorado St who was literally the last team in. Though the 1st team out supposedly was Oklahoma.
stever20

Postby SJUBBALL » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:25 am

Seton Hall was screwed. Absolutely ridiculous. Committee member is quoted saying they devalued their win against UConn cause Clingan got hurt in it.

Give me a f****g break. As good as clingan is, he’s a big oaf who gets in foul trouble half the time anyway. That is still a massive win over UConn. To hear that guy discredit it is such an unbelievable joke
SJUBBALL

Postby Omaha1 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:53 pm

Well there’s now an unsigned statement which is being widely panned on Twitter.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby billyjack » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:58 pm

Omaha1 wrote:Well there’s now an unsigned statement which is being widely panned on Twitter.

Really? I'm curious to know more about this.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:04 pm

“We are very proud that UConn earned the No. 1 overall seed in this year's NCAA men's basketball tournament following another tremendous season that included both the Big East regular season and tournament titles.

Marquette, a No. 2 seed, and Creighton, a No. 3 seed, give the Big East three of the top 10 overall seeds in the tournament, as many as any other league. We consider each of them legitimate contenders for a Final Four berth and another Big East national crown on April 8th.

These high seeds follow our most successful Big East Tournament to date, which saw five sellouts and our usual impassioned crowds at The World's Most Famous Arena. Our four-year extension with Madison Square Garden, announced on Friday, means that the event, a New York City staple, will celebrate its 50th anniversary at MSG in 2032, a run unmatched in the college basketball world.

We have great respect for the NCAA men's basketball committee and the time and effort that goes into selecting and seeding the teams for the NCAA tournament. It is a very challenging job, and we have been advised that this year’s upsets added to the complexity and contributed to the committee's final bracket selections. Given the high level of play in our league, we are understandably very disappointed that some worthy Big East teams were not selected to participate. We will be working closely with our schools in the coming months to best position the Big East next year and to ensure that we continue to be represented in March Madness in a manner befitting our stature as one of the best conferences in college basketball.”
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board