NCAA Selection Thread

The home for Big East hoops

Re: NCAA Selection Thread

Postby jfan » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:52 am

In the NIT, we have 2 #1 seeds. If St John's had accepted a bid, they would have probably been a #1 seed. That means the league had 3 of the first five out. (assuming the NIT still uses the committee rankings for selection) If not for all the bid stealing on the last weekend, we could have had 2-3 more team in the Tournament. I realize this is all conjecture, but we were close to having our normal number of teams. For there to be a conspiracy against the BE, 12 people from different backgrounds would have had to join together and agree to screw the BE without anyone talking. Not likely. I also agree that their choices were suspect and strange in many cases, and we should have had more teams in the Tournament. If this happens again, then something is wrong, but this year looks to me to be bad circumstances. I agree that the league should say something so that the Committee knows we are unhappy. Some national writers feel we were slighted in the selections!
CREIGHTON
jfan

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:04 am

jfan wrote:In the NIT, we have 2 #1 seeds. If St John's had accepted a bid, they would have probably been a #1 seed. That means the league had 3 of the first five out. (assuming the NIT still uses the committee rankings for selection) If not for all the bid stealing on the last weekend, we could have had 2-3 more team in the Tournament. I realize this is all conjecture, but we were close to having our normal number of teams. For there to be a conspiracy against the BE, 12 people from different backgrounds would have had to join together and agree to screw the BE without anyone talking. Not likely. I also agree that their choices were suspect and strange in many cases, and we should have had more teams in the Tournament. If this happens again, then something is wrong, but this year looks to me to be bad circumstances!

Well per the committee, the league had 1 of the first 4 out.

First 4 out were:
Oklahoma
Seton Hall
Indiana St
Pittsburgh

Oklahoma and Pittsburgh skipped the NIT. So at best 3 of the first 6 out. And I really do not think Villanova who is one of those 1 seeds was that close realistically.
stever20

Postby dakphonics » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:07 pm

Before the B10 tournament Wisconsin was 3-8 in the last month of the season, with wins only to the bottom feeders in the conference. Then they beat Purdue in the tournament with Zach Edy in foul trouble 30 seconds into the game and now they are a 5 seed.
dakphonics

Postby dakphonics » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:17 pm

I generally agree that it was just historically bad luck. Oregon, Duquesne and others were not going to make it until they did. And Mountain West had an unusually great season. And when you have a Mid-major conference do what Mountain West did that too makes it difficult. It’s also true that having 3 powerhouse teams in the Big East at once hurts everyone else.

But I think there are some teams that got invited that seem dumb to me. I don’t think the double RR hurts us.
dakphonics

Postby dakphonics » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:56 pm

Another thing I’ve noticed is that our conference NET and conference RPI is historically bad. Since 2014 I don’t think I’ve ever seen either of them below 4th. And this year we are 5th in the NET and 6th in the RPI. It absolutely does not help to have DePaul in the 300s for both. They’ve been bad for a long time, but usually for DePaul bad is like 100-150. Normally they are Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, Boston College bad. Not SWAC school bad. It’s embarrassing.
dakphonics

Postby stever20 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:04 pm

dakphonics wrote:I generally agree that it was just historically bad luck. Oregon, Duquesne and others were not going to make it until they did. And Mountain West had an unusually great season. And when you have a Mid-major conference do what Mountain West did that too makes it difficult. It’s also true that having 3 powerhouse teams in the Big East at once hurts everyone else.

But I think there are some teams that got invited that seem dumb to me. I don’t think the double RR hurts us.

the thing I wonder is if we're gonna see this happen more often with the bid thieves. I mean think about it we had 5 this year. And based on what we saw, St John's if they had won would have been #6. Teams with tons of transfers from the portal taking until Feb to get going and then steal a bid in the tourney. I'm not so sure that is a blip.
stever20

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:27 am

Wild that the committee admitted to discrediting our UConn win because Clingan got hurt in the second half while we were already leading, but paid no attention to the fact that Kadary Richmond completely missed several of our losses.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby billyjack » Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:33 am

Hall2012 wrote:Wild that the committee admitted to discrediting our UConn win because Clingan got hurt in the second half while we were already leading, but paid no attention to the fact that Kadary Richmond completely missed several of our losses.

The Big East needs a competent PR arm. It's embarrassing.

No way the brainless Committee knows for example that PC won at Seton Hall without you guys having Richmond. Nor that we lost our K-State game without Pierre and our PG was a freshman in his 3rd game.

However, 2 years ago the Big Ten wouldn't STFU about Wisconsin not having Johnny Davis when they lost to us at the Dunk.

Who is on the Selection Committee? Probably 95% football school reps. Made of a group that reflexively hates New York and the Big East?

They now have a Tourney with one power conference school (UConn) located north of DC and east of Ohio. Duquesne, Vermont, Colgate, Yale, Saint Peter's. And UConn.

If the ACC's goal after 1985 was to kill northeastern hoops to restore the good ole boy network, then looking at this ridiculous field of teams must put them in heaven. One northeastern team seeded higher than 10th or whatever Duquesne is.
Providence
billyjack

Postby SJUBBALL » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:20 pm

Hall2012 wrote:Wild that the committee admitted to discrediting our UConn win because Clingan got hurt in the second half while we were already leading, but paid no attention to the fact that Kadary Richmond completely missed several of our losses.

It is an absolute disgrace. Seton Hall is owed a direct apology from both Val and the Butler AD to be honest
SJUBBALL

Postby stever20 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:28 pm

SJUBBALL wrote:

It is an absolute disgrace. Seton Hall is owed a direct apology from both Val and the Butler AD to be honest

I always felt the person on selection committee angle is very overrated. This year sort of confirms it.

Here was the commttee this year-
CHARLES MCCLELLAND (2024) – SWAC Commissioner (Chairperson)
JAMIE POLLARD (2024) – Iowa State Athletic Director
SCOTT BARNES (2024) – Oregon State Athletic Director
BUBBA CUNNINGHAM (2025) – North Carolina Athletic Director (Vice-Chairperson)
MARK COYLE (2026) – Minnesota Athletic Director
GREG BYRNE (2026) – Alabama Athletic Director
KEITH GILL (2026) – Sun Belt Commissioner
BARRY COLLIER (2026) – Butler Athletic Director
MARTIN NEWTON (2027) – Samford Athletic Director
TOM WISTRCILL (2027) – Big Sky Commissioner
ARTHUR JOHNSON (2028) – Temple Athletic Director
RENEE BAUMGARTNER (2028) – Santa Clara Athletic Director
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board