Georgetown Review 2024

The home for Big East hoops

Georgetown Review 2024

Postby OmahaGuy » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:59 pm

Ed Cooley’s first year in the swamp comes to an end. Let’s review the Georgetown Hoyas!

OUT
*Jay Heath (out of eligibility)
*Ismael Massoud (out of eligibility)
*Wayne Bristol (transferring to Hampton)
*Rowan Brumbaugh
*Dontrez Styles
*Supreme Cook

BACK
*Jayden Epps
*Drew Fielder

IN
*Micah Peavy (transfer from TCU)
*Malik Mack (transfer from Harvard)
*Curtis Williams (transfer from Louisville)
*Drew McKenna
*Caleb Williams
*Kayvaun Mulready
*Thomas Sorber

My 0.02:
Another rough season ended. Ed Cooley was bound to struggle in year 1 but man I’m not if Georgetown folks were expecting it to get this bad. Hoyas end the year 9-23 and 2-18 in league play. Did they just not mesh well? What exactly were the problems with the team this year? One thing I do know is that the defense was practically nonexistent. Can’t win in this league without playing good D! On the plus side, if Cooley can retain guys like Epps, Brumbaugh, Styles and Cook and keep that recruiting class intact, better days will be ahead. A few hits in the portal would help too. Should be an interesting off-season on the hilltop!
UPDATE: Brumbaugh hit the portal. But if they can keep Epps, Styles and Cook, there’s something there to work with. Added a very good building block in Peavy from TCU
UPDATE II: Styles is now in the portal. Cook and Epps are still around. Styles likely left because the Hoyas nabbed Peavy
Last edited by OmahaGuy on Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:16 pm, edited 10 times in total.
OmahaGuy

Georgetown Review 2024

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Georgetown Review 2024

Postby billyjack » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:50 pm

True story: Years ago my younger son tried out for his middle school basketball team. He's a great all around athlete but somehow got cut. I knew the coach was a weird dude and kind of a d-bag. And i was ripped, maybe cuz i'm Italian-American.

So, anyway, i rooted for the team to suck.

First game they lost 68-16. Next game they lost like 58-22. Then the wheels came off... scores like 74-8. Every loss was by 50+. They finished 0-14.

After the season it felt kinda weird. I wasn't like all happy or anything at all, and i felt sorry for the situation overall, but some karma was involved.

Plus my son had a ton of free time to get his homework done, and i took him to the batting cage a bunch of times which helped with his baseball. And i haven't really thought about this story much ever again.

I have no idea why i'm sharing this story on this thread.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:24 am

billyjack wrote:I have no idea why i'm sharing this story on this thread.

Because it reflects positively on Cooley? :lol:

Georgetown should have some talent coming back and in, but the lack of defense and toughness this season is concerning. Honestly, it was like watching one of Ewing's teams.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:30 pm

Wayne Bristol Jr. in the portal.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby Burrito » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:31 am

Rowan Brumbaugh plans to enter portal.
Burrito

Postby stever20 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:44 am

Georgetown losing Associate Head Coach Ivan Thomas along with special asst to Cooley Greg Fahey to Hampton as Head Coach/Associate Head Coach.
stever20

Postby ArmyVet » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:01 pm

Burrito wrote:Rowan Brumbaugh plans to enter portal.

I liked his game. Thought he had a promising future.
ArmyVet

Postby SoFla Steve » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:04 pm

Burrito wrote:Rowan Brumbaugh plans to enter portal.

I'm reading speculation that he was being nudged out of Georgetown. Could that be true? If so, why would Cooley do that?!
SoFla Steve

Postby DanofXav76 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:48 am

billyjack wrote:True story: Years ago my younger son tried out for his middle school basketball team. He's a great all around athlete but somehow got cut. I knew the coach was a weird dude and kind of a d-bag. And i was ripped, maybe cuz i'm Italian-American.

So, anyway, i rooted for the team to suck.

First game they lost 68-16. Next game they lost like 58-22. Then the wheels came off... scores like 74-8. Every loss was by 50+. They finished 0-14.

After the season it felt kinda weird. I wasn't like all happy or anything at all, and i felt sorry for the situation overall, but some karma was involved.

Plus my son had a ton of free time to get his homework done, and i took him to the batting cage a bunch of times which helped with his baseball. And i haven't really thought about this story much ever again.

I have no idea why i'm sharing this story on this thread.

I think it's all about that mystical Karma thing Billy! I'm sure after Cooley pulled his Benedict Arnold act, him and his Hoyas can't lose enough for you and the Friar Faithful. Just desserts?
DanofXav76

Postby kayako » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:53 pm

Not sure how much it would've affected Georgetown, but Wizards/Capitals has agreed to stay in DC and Capital One Arena will get a huge upgrade. This just leaves Villanova's situation kind of unknown as the 76ers seem poised to build a new arena in center city.
supernova
kayako

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board