Bubble Watch 2/29/24

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Bubble Watch 2/29/24

Postby stever20 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:26 pm

kayako wrote:
stever20 wrote:Ehh I think what happened with Nova in the Big 5 thing is a once in a 25 yr period type of thing really. If that often. Freakish type of thing. Just go 1-2 even and looking much better right now.

There's a good reason teams don't play mid-major teams on the road, but I've said enough about this already. My general feeling is that BE teams schedule to prepare for BE season, and it probably blew up in our face this season with subpar ooc record. One thing I want to see implemented is to replace Gavitt games with a pair of conference games for each team.

yeah I don't think going to 22 conference games would help things out. Going to still have the tough MTE tournament. All of a sudden you have middle teams with 11 conference losses, and then if they flop in the MTE, they're at 13 or 14 losses before any other OOC games.
stever20

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby kayako » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:38 pm

stever20 wrote:yeah I don't think going to 22 conference games would help things out. Going to still have the tough MTE tournament. All of a sudden you have middle teams with 11 conference losses, and then if they flop in the MTE, they're at 13 or 14 losses before any other OOC games.

22 is nonsense, and 18 is probably better than 20. The benefits of double round-robin doesn't do much for me. Just beat the damn cupcakes like you're supposed to, see MWC.
supernova
kayako

Postby stever20 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:07 am

Gonzaga in a win and in situation now on Saturday with Saint Mary's. They're gonna be a team a 1 or 2 seed does not want to see in their bracket as a 8-10 seed for sure.
stever20

Postby Redmen23 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:41 am

The whole system is so flawed. How is Gonzaga on the bubble when they have been ranked for most of the year and they play a heavyweight OOC schedule?

Gonzaga and obviously St. Mary's this season should both be locks. It makes no sense that I keep hearing Gonzaga talked about as being on the bubble. The whole thing is a sham.
Redmen23

Postby Redmen23 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:42 am

stever20 wrote:
kayako wrote:BE being in this position despite not taking any bad losses vs. DePaul or Georgetown is crazy. But just as I thought 9 teams cannibalizing each other is bad, especially with uconn not donating many games. MWC will get 6 teams in the tournament despite inferior ooc metrics. What can we do about this? Been saying this forever but BE doesn't schedule well ooc.

some bad losses by the bubble teams. Nova of course. St John's with BC. Xavier w/o their 2 bad OOC losses would be 16-12 and right there with a decent shot still. Then you have Butler who did well OOC be the team to fall apart in conference play. Some of it just is bad luck.

Even worse than BC was the Michigan loss for the Johnnies. Michigan is REALLY bad this year.
Redmen23

Postby stever20 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:05 pm

Redmen23 wrote:The whole system is so flawed. How is Gonzaga on the bubble when they have been ranked for most of the year and they play a heavyweight OOC schedule?

Gonzaga and obviously St. Mary's this season should both be locks. It makes no sense that I keep hearing Gonzaga talked about as being on the bubble. The whole thing is a sham.

Gonzaga had a heavyweight schedule OOC, but until they beat Kentucky, they hadn't beaten any of them. You shouldn't get credit for just scheduling tough teams if you don't beat them.
Purdue loss
UConn loss
San Diego St loss
Washington loss

Also had USC and UCLA- but they aren't good this year.

before Kentucky, their best OOC win was vs Syracuse. Last night was their 2nd Q1 win of the year. Pretty easy to see why they would have been on the bubble before that.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:06 pm

Redmen23 wrote:
stever20 wrote:
kayako wrote:BE being in this position despite not taking any bad losses vs. DePaul or Georgetown is crazy. But just as I thought 9 teams cannibalizing each other is bad, especially with uconn not donating many games. MWC will get 6 teams in the tournament despite inferior ooc metrics. What can we do about this? Been saying this forever but BE doesn't schedule well ooc.

some bad losses by the bubble teams. Nova of course. St John's with BC. Xavier w/o their 2 bad OOC losses would be 16-12 and right there with a decent shot still. Then you have Butler who did well OOC be the team to fall apart in conference play. Some of it just is bad luck.

Even worse than BC was the Michigan loss for the Johnnies. Michigan is REALLY bad this year.

Yup. Totally agree with you there. Howard can't survive this, can he?
stever20

Postby Redmen23 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:23 pm

stever20 wrote:
Redmen23 wrote:The whole system is so flawed. How is Gonzaga on the bubble when they have been ranked for most of the year and they play a heavyweight OOC schedule?

Gonzaga had a heavyweight schedule OOC, but until they beat Kentucky, they hadn't beaten any of them. You shouldn't get credit for just scheduling tough teams if you don't beat them.
Purdue loss
UConn loss
San Diego St loss
Washington loss

Also had USC and UCLA- but they aren't good this year.

before Kentucky, their best OOC win was vs Syracuse. Last night was their 2nd Q1 win of the year. Pretty easy to see why they would have been on the bubble before that.

Fair points.
Redmen23

Postby Redmen23 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:28 pm

Even worse than BC was the Michigan loss for the Johnnies. Michigan is REALLY bad this year.[/quote]
Yup. Totally agree with you there. Howard can't survive this, can he?[/quote][/quote]

I highly doubt it. He seems like he's checked out from everything I've heard and read. And Michigan being Michigan I think they have to bring in a bigger name. I'm not sure if Martelli has slowed down that much but he's had a very accomplished head coaching career if they want to look in-house. Ironically enough their National Championship football team just went in-house with Harbaugh's replacement. All that said I think they go big name hunting.
Redmen23

Postby stever20 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:43 pm

Redmen23 wrote:Even worse than BC was the Michigan loss for the Johnnies. Michigan is REALLY bad this year.

Yup. Totally agree with you there. Howard can't survive this, can he?[/quote][/quote]

I highly doubt it. He seems like he's checked out from everything I've heard and read. And Michigan being Michigan I think they have to bring in a bigger name. I'm not sure if Martelli has slowed down that much but he's had a very accomplished head coaching career if they want to look in-house. Ironically enough their National Championship football team just went in-house with Harbaugh's replacement. All that said I think they go big name hunting.[/quote]
I go back to Howard having Martelli coach that game this year in Philly. That was a great gesture, but don't know many head coaches at all that would do that. Was really strange.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board