(3) Wednesday Big East Games 1/24/24

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (3) Wednesday Big East Games 1/24/24

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:40 am

Ticket Gaines was a great pickup for PC. Also might be the best name in the BE.
Wizard of Westroads

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:07 am

Wizard of Westroads wrote:Ticket Gaines was a great pickup for PC. Also might be the best name in the BE.

if Georgetown was going better Supreme Cook would be right up there I think.
stever20

Postby sju88grad » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:26 am

kayako wrote:Hiring Neptune was an arrogant decision and I am willing to die on that hill.

I was at the game last night and the one thing that jumped out at me is to see unforced errors and sloppy play by Nova. They’ve been so fundamentally sound for years that I was always so envious of. I really hope they get back on track. I think they are a tourney team and could do some damage….if things don’t improve, I wonder how long Neptune will last?
sju88grad

Postby stever20 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:41 am

sju88grad wrote:
kayako wrote:Hiring Neptune was an arrogant decision and I am willing to die on that hill.

I was at the game last night and the one thing that jumped out at me is to see unforced errors and sloppy play by Nova. They’ve been so fundamentally sound for years that I was always so envious of. I really hope they get back on track. I think they are a tourney team and could do some damage….if things don’t improve, I wonder how long Neptune will last?

I think it's going to be really tight for them to make the tourney. They're 11-8 with 12 to go. Of the 12, 7 are Q1 games, 3 are Q2 games, and then home and home with Georgetown. You figure need 7 wins to get to magic number of 18. The 3 Q2 and 2 Georgetown games gets them to 16 if they can win all 5. Need to win 2 of the 7 Q1 games at that point. Could they do it? Sure.

If they get in, they're gonna be the kind of team that if you're a 1 or 2 seed you do not want to see them in the 7-10 range as a tough 2nd round opponent.
stever20

Postby hoops22 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:42 am

Supposedly a big factor in hiring Neptune was he was the lead recruiter for Whitmore and Armstrong, and Nova didn't want to lose those guys after Jay retired, especially Whitmore. I'm not sure if he was also the guy that recruited Hausen, but either way Neptune was able to convince all three to keep their commitment to Nova. I've also heard the rumors that Jay's first choice was Dunleavy, but who knows if that's true. I agree with Stever, that they have a tough road to make the tournament this year. However, I disagree that they're going to be scaring anyone that draws them in the tournament, if they do make it. I just don't think they're that good. Neptune, while a likable and good guy, has not convinced anyone he's the right fit for the job. However, the optics are not going to be good if Nova lets him go after two seasons. Nova's in a tough spot. And finally, people can believe this or not, but it's not a particularly cohesive locker room in there. Lots of bitching and moaning behind the scenes.
hoops22

Postby stever20 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:05 pm

hoops22 wrote:Supposedly a big factor in hiring Neptune was he was the lead recruiter for Whitmore and Armstrong, and Nova didn't want to lose those guys after Jay retired, especially Whitmore. I'm not sure if he was also the guy that recruited Hausen, but either way Neptune was able to convince all three to keep their commitment to Nova. I've also heard the rumors that Jay's first choice was Dunleavy, but who knows if that's true. I agree with Stever, that they have a tough road to make the tournament this year. However, I disagree that they're going to be scaring anyone that draws them in the tournament, if they do make it. I just don't think they're that good. Neptune, while a likable and good guy, has not convinced anyone he's the right fit for the job. However, the optics are not going to be good if Nova lets him go after two seasons. Nova's in a tough spot. And finally, people can believe this or not, but it's not a particularly cohesive locker room in there. Lots of bitching and moaning behind the scenes.

Maybe you're right on their ceiling. Just think with all their experience in a 1 game situation, Nova would be down the list of teams I'd want to see.

Nova might be example #100000000 of wanting to be the guy replacing the guy replacing the legend.
stever20

Postby hoops22 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:12 pm

I'm rooting for Nova. I just think Dixon is the only guy playing up to, or exceeding expectations, and he can't do it alone.
hoops22

Postby EMT » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:20 pm

Wizard of Westroads wrote:Ticket Gaines was a great pickup for PC. Also might be the best name in the BE.

His name is actually Davante Ticket "Hollywood" Gaines

https://twitter.com/TheRealTick3t
EMT

Postby kayako » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:41 pm

Xuperman wrote:Wasn't that a Jay Wright decision? I don't recall seeing anyone else interviewed. Your situation is turning into what X had with Steele. Hopefully it turns out differently for you guys.

BTW, can someone give us some detailed info on Justin Moore.

Nobody knows who Jay wanted, or how much authority he had in the hiring process. We know it was rushed, as Kyle found out he's a candidate mere days before being announced as Villanova's 9th HC.

I don't know if I can reveal something you don't already know about Justin Moore. Pre-injury Moore was a great off guard. Didn't have great vision, but did a bit of everything and was a great shotmaker as long as Gillespie was controlling the offense. This is why I never bought into "wait till Justin Moore comes back" wishful thinking dating back to last year. He wasn't going to solve Neptune's inept offense. Was a stout defender. Understandably he's nowhere near the player he used to be. Even if he's fully healthy, Moore's still rusty and looks frustrated with himself & the team.
supernova
kayako

Postby kayako » Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:52 pm

hoops22 wrote:I disagree that they're going to be scaring anyone that draws them in the tournament, if they do make it. I just don't think they're that good. .

I agree that Nova isn't very good, but we might actually be kinda dangerous in tourney environment where teams don't know us very well. It's how we managed to beat UNC...
supernova
kayako

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board