Stubblefield out…..

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Stubblefield out…..

Postby kayako » Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:06 pm

hoops22 wrote:They travel as well as anybody in the country. And they do all this on A10 exposure and money. So I'll ask the question again that will get plenty of people here foaming at the mouth angry at me. Why the hell aren't they in the Big East?

https://www.thehour.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/article/big-east-val-ackerman-huskies-18601397.php

"Nothing on the horizon at this point. A number of schools have approached us about being part of the Big East. Our presidents, at this point, have not wanted to add schools. So, we stay at 11. It's really as simple as that."

"It would take the right school to add," Ackerman added. "And you want it to be for all the right reasons, including what they add from a basketball standpoint, is their school mission in line with our other schools? How does the financial piece of it work out? So, for now, the decision our board has made has been to stay at 11."

12 > 11, but it sounds like the presidents aren't very high on any of the options available right now. It doesn't make much sense to add a non-elite program that we have no history with in a small market near Xavier anyway.
Last edited by kayako on Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
supernova
kayako

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Demon22 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:08 pm

From DeWayne Peevy's interview earlier today with WSCR:

* Peevy described trying to raise funds for NIL during a 3-15 season as "impossible". Said most donors were in "wait and see" mode. He felt like there's momentum in terms of overall fundraising for the athletic department, and said he couldn't put that momentum at risk.

* Said he has a goal of having "everything in place" (Increased budget, coach's salary, NIL funds) by March 1st so he can approach candidates and describe what's already in place versus having to make promises about what's coming at some point in the future. "Three years ago, I was selling a dream. I hadn't even met most of my Board of Trustees in person. Now, I'm talking about reality. I can talk about facts. I can talk about the budget in place now. It exists."

* He spent a good amount of time talking about wiping out DePaul's NIL issues for the long-term. "The NIL piece - in these two short months, what it gives me - that will be in hand. The money will be in the collective... When I have those serious conversations with high-level coaches that are already successful where they are, they need to know that's not something that could be, they need to know that money's already there."

* Peevy said there were successful coaches who were interested in the job three years ago that the school couldn't afford to buy out, and he believes they're still interested.
Demon22

Postby Demon22 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:01 am

https://twitter.com/trillydonovan/statu ... 5884486876

For what it's worth, the four names that Trilly is referring to in connection with the DePaul job:

Bobby Hurley, Arizona State
Josh Schertz, Indiana State
Porter Moser, Oklahoma
Bryce Drew, Grand Canyon

If true, this would reinforce the idea DeWayne Peevy is working with a much larger budget this time around than he was in 2020.
Demon22

Postby Xavier4036 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:18 am

hoops22 wrote:
Xuperman wrote:Anthony Grant would be a home run hire.....and that would put the Dayton Cryers fan base in total meltdown.
:shock:

I doubt Grant is going anywhere. Archie Miller returned to UD this past weekend and after getting stomped by 30, was a stark reminder that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Dayton is projected as a 4 or 5 seed in most brackets as of today. They would have been a 1 seed in the Covid year had the tourney not been canceled. Their entire home schedule this year is a sellout of 14,000 plus at every game. They travel as well as anybody in the country. And they do all this on A10 exposure and money. So I'll ask the question again that will get plenty of people here foaming at the mouth angry at me. Why the hell aren't they in the Big East?

"They do all this".... what exactly is "all this"?

Dayton has won six - SIX - NCAA tournament games since .... 1990! For comparison, Xavier has won that many since 2017. Hell, Dayton has not made the NCAA tournament since 2017. I'll remind you, Anthony Grant was on the hot seat last year and most did not expect him to return in 2023-24 but rather move to an administrative role. Lord, have mercy, hoops22.
Xavier4036

Postby hoops22 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:25 pm

Xavier4036 wrote:
hoops22 wrote:
Xuperman wrote:Anthony Grant would be a home run hire.....and that would put the Dayton Cryers fan base in total meltdown.
:shock:

I doubt Grant is going anywhere. Archie Miller returned to UD this past weekend and after getting stomped by 30, was a stark reminder that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Dayton is projected as a 4 or 5 seed in most brackets as of today. They would have been a 1 seed in the Covid year had the tourney not been canceled. Their entire home schedule this year is a sellout of 14,000 plus at every game. They travel as well as anybody in the country. And they do all this on A10 exposure and money. So I'll ask the question again that will get plenty of people here foaming at the mouth angry at me. Why the hell aren't they in the Big East?

"They do all this".... what exactly is "all this"?

Dayton has won six - SIX - NCAA tournament games since .... 1990! For comparison, Xavier has won that many since 2017. Hell, Dayton has not made the NCAA tournament since 2017. I'll remind you, Anthony Grant was on the hot seat last year and most did not expect him to return in 2023-24 but rather move to an administrative role. Lord, have mercy, hoops22.

Dude, first off nobody was downplaying what Xavier has accomplished in the BE, it's been impressive to say the least. Since the reorganization of the BE ten years ago Dayton has won five tournament games, more than most members of the league. That doesn't take into account they would have been a one seed in 2020 and had a draw where they would have been heavy favorites in at least two games, if not more. The fact Covid took away the tournament after the regular season ended, doesn't diminish their accomplishments that year. So if not for that freak event, they likely would have added two or three more wins to that number.

Second, do you even have a clue how stupid you sound, when commenting about Grant being on the 'hot seat" last year? Grant's young daughter tragically committed suicide in 2022. After having been named COY in 2020 and then facing such heartbreaking tragedy right before last seasons start, there was no coach in the country in less danger of being fired than Anthony Grant last year. This year they're top twenty in the NET and will likely have a better seed in the tournament than all but our three best teams. So yeah,throw in the attendance numbers, the traveling fan base, and there's no reason to think they don't merit consideration to join the league. I never get how unhinged Xavier people get at the mere mention of Dayton. Could it be because the all time series between you two is 84-74 Dayton's favor?
hoops22

Postby Xuperman » Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:30 am

hoops22 wrote:There's no reason to think they don't merit consideration to join the league. I never get how unhinged Xavier people get at the mere mention of Dayton. Could it be because the all time series between you two is 84-74 Dayton's favor?

Let me clear this up for you.

The record has nothing to with it. That advantage was much larger.....then came Bob Staak and the last 40 years.

I think a large percentage of Xavier folks would point to the UD fans. I have been to well over 100 games at their place, and there were times where we went "plain clothes"! It was very typical to be brutally heckled during the game, but that is nothing compared to the walk to your car after a night game....especially if X wins.
Wisdom is what you get 5 seconds after you needed it.
Xuperman

Postby Xudash » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:24 pm

Xuperman wrote:
hoops22 wrote:There's no reason to think they don't merit consideration to join the league. I never get how unhinged Xavier people get at the mere mention of Dayton. Could it be because the all time series between you two is 84-74 Dayton's favor?

Let me clear this up for you.

The record has nothing to with it. That advantage was much larger.....then came Bob Staak and the last 40 years.

I think a large percentage of Xavier folks would point to the UD fans. I have been to well over 100 games at their place, and there were times where we went "plain clothes"! It was very typical to be brutally heckled during the game, but that is nothing compared to the walk to your car after a night game....especially if X wins.

This guy thinks Xavier fans get unhinged about the mere mention of Dayton, and then he proceeds to spend all this time getting unhinged, defending Anthony Grant and Dayton.

It doesn't get any better than when he has to resort to the overall record, given what you pointed out about us beating them into little brother submission over the last 4 decades.

If I recall correctly, Anthony Grant is a VD alumnus. He's good for VD. I can't even recall the last time VD was in the NCAAT, but it's been at least 5 or 6 seasons. Now he has them ranked as a result of stumbling their way through a very watered down A10 - I saw where they just lost to VCU. While I'm sure that fanbase wants one of their own to be successful and stay there a long time, I can't imagine they're all happy with a program that should be dominating a weak conference at this point, but has failed to do so.

We don't get unhinged about Dayton. Dayton is in the rear view mirror. We don't want them in the BE mainly because of their annoying fanbase, and because of their proximity to Xavier. It's the same logic a Nova fan would use when it comes to St. Joe's, etc.

Let them be happy with their overall record against X. And let them also remember that the last time we played them we blew them off the floor in Orlando by 29 points.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby MUBoxer » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:09 pm

Dude you can't claim to not be unhinged while referring to them as VD. Either they're a rival and you're treating them as such with disdain (as you are in your post) or they're in the rear view mirror truly in which case you guys wouldn't jump down the throats of every mention of Dayton nor would you use stuff like little brother and VD.

I don't want Dayton either but it's pretty obvious there's still negative feelings from you X fans and pretending to be above that is just ridiculous. Imagine saying to your ex "you suck, I'm doing so much better and dating all these people" then saying "oh and I don't even think about you" well the later is clearly not true.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby Xudash » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:22 pm

MUBoxer wrote:Dude you can't claim to not be unhinged while referring to them as VD. Either they're a rival and you're treating them as such with disdain (as you are in your post) or they're in the rear view mirror truly in which case you guys wouldn't jump down the throats of every mention of Dayton nor would you use stuff like little brother and VD.

I don't want Dayton either but it's pretty obvious there's still negative feelings from you X fans and pretending to be above that is just ridiculous. Imagine saying to your ex "you suck, I'm doing so much better and dating all these people" then saying "oh and I don't even think about you" well the later is clearly not true.

Dude, being able to refer to them as VD was brought about by their choice of logos. It’s funny, at least to me, so I refer to them as Dayton or VD. If that translates to you that I still have deep, negative feelings about Dayton, then so be it. Otherwise, they are in our rear view mirror. That is a fact, going beyond a decade now. Besides, it was partially a response to the earlier unhinged statement from the other fan.

I don’t respond to every post here or in the alignment thread about Dayton. This is the first time I’ve commented on Dayton in a while.

So, if you’re finished pretending to be a psychiatrist, we’ll perhaps agree on Dayton’s chances with the Big East, and this thread can go back to DePaul’s opening.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby MUBoxer » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:17 pm

Xudash wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:Dude you can't claim to not be unhinged while referring to them as VD. Either they're a rival and you're treating them as such with disdain (as you are in your post) or they're in the rear view mirror truly in which case you guys wouldn't jump down the throats of every mention of Dayton nor would you use stuff like little brother and VD.

Dude, being able to refer to them as VD was brought about by their choice of logos. It’s funny, at least to me, so I refer to them as Dayton or VD. If that translates to you that I still have deep, negative feelings about Dayton, then so be it. Otherwise, they are in our rear view mirror. That is a fact, going beyond a decade now. Besides, it was partially a response to the earlier unhinged statement from the other fan.

I don’t respond to every post here or in the alignment thread about Dayton. This is the first time I’ve commented on Dayton in a while.

So, if you’re finished pretending to be a psychiatrist, we’ll perhaps agree on Dayton’s chances with the Big East, and this thread can go back to DePaul’s opening.

lol "I'm so over you, and don't think about you at all but still mock you!"

Also for your info it'd be pretending to be a therapist or psychologist, a psychiatrist would be prescribing stuff for whatever this hyper defensive reaction is...
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board