(5) Weekend Big East Games 1/12 thru 1/14/24

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (5) Weekend Big East Games 1/12 thru 1/14/24

Postby Omaha1 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:32 pm

stever20 wrote:
Johnny23 wrote:It looked pretty clear on replay that Dingle was fouled by Farabello right before the buzzer sounded. Should've been at the line shooting two.

Either way good competitive game. Kudos to Creighton. The Johnnies are really becoming a cohesive unit. Fun to see.

yeah it's the old stupid logic that the refs don't want to decide the game.

When by not calling the foul, they're absolutely deciding the game.

Last time we had a situation like this and the refs blew a questionable whistle, we lost in the Elite 8. Glad it wasn’t a ref deciding it today.

Wasn’t a beautiful game, but it was exciting.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby hoops22 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:43 pm

I get it, that's basketball. Sometimes the calls go your way, sometime they don't. But in the second half the fouls were 18-4 advantage Jays, with a lot of them being ticky tack. With 12 seconds to go, and the Johnnies up one, Creighton misses the shot and Dingle gets tackled when he's about to come up with the loose ball, and the refs swallow the whistle. That foul was as clear as any all day. Beating Creighton at Creighton is no easy task. Today's game was there for the taking, just wish the officiating wasn't as atrocious as it turned out to be.
hoops22

Postby Omaha1 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:00 pm

hoops22 wrote:I get it, that's basketball. Sometimes the calls go your way, sometime they don't. But in the second half the fouls were 18-4 advantage Jays, with a lot of them being ticky tack. With 12 seconds to go, and the Johnnies up one, Creighton misses the shot and Dingle gets tackled when he's about to come up with the loose ball, and the refs swallow the whistle. That foul was as clear as any all day. Beating Creighton at Creighton is no easy task. Today's game was there for the taking, just wish the officiating wasn't as atrocious as it turned out to be.

You mean the play where the ball is loose and Baylor secured it and kicked it out? I didn’t think it was a foul and I rewatched it and the announcers praised his effort without mentioning anything about a foul on the play.
Omaha1

Postby sju88grad » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:01 pm

So glad I’ll be at MSG for the rematch……fun game……
sju88grad

Postby hoops22 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:24 pm

Omaha1 wrote:
hoops22 wrote:I get it, that's basketball. Sometimes the calls go your way, sometime they don't. But in the second half the fouls were 18-4 advantage Jays, with a lot of them being ticky tack. With 12 seconds to go, and the Johnnies up one, Creighton misses the shot and Dingle gets tackled when he's about to come up with the loose ball, and the refs swallow the whistle. That foul was as clear as any all day. Beating Creighton at Creighton is no easy task. Today's game was there for the taking, just wish the officiating wasn't as atrocious as it turned out to be.

You mean the play where the ball is loose and Baylor secured it and kicked it out? I didn’t think it was a foul and I rewatched it and the announcers praised his effort without mentioning anything about a foul on the play.

I meant Jenkins not Dingle, although we might be referring to the same play. Dingle did appear to be fouled on final shot of game, both he and defender wound up on the floor. It's a frustrating loss but the Johnnies had some good looks in the final 70 seconds and couldn't come up with the clutch shot that would have been a dagger. Nothing left to do but take out our frustrations on The Hall in the next game.
hoops22

Postby REDMEN1415 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:44 pm

Seemed like on every possession Creighton went to the line in the 2nd half, but Creighton didn't foul at the end right? Great way to decide the game refs.

Congrats on the win Creighton.
REDMEN1415

Postby Omaha1 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:48 pm

Regarding the officiating, here’s a post from Dauster:

“You can't show officials up, I get it, but T'ing a dude up for reacting to a blatant missed called in a competitive game sucks. That ref cost Creighton three points as a result. Brutal.”
Omaha1

Postby xukeith » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:59 pm

X Providence game.
Close back and forth 1st half.
2nd half X simply poured it on behind frosh Green scoring 23 points in 23 minutes 5 made 3s
xukeith

Postby redmen9194 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:10 pm

I generally don’t blame refs for losses and I won’t here. However, you have to call that foul. Dingle gets undercut while in the air. It’s not a touch foul or just a questionable bump. If it was something like that then whatever. But that was a blatant foul that has to be called regardless of when it occurs. I’ll live with the foul discrepancy during the game - this is the Big East - but the kind of foul against Dingle on that last play requires a whistle. On to Jersey.
redmen9194

Postby stever20 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:38 pm

redmen9194 wrote:I generally don’t blame refs for losses and I won’t here. However, you have to call that foul. Dingle gets undercut while in the air. It’s not a touch foul or just a questionable bump. If it was something like that then whatever. But that was a blatant foul that has to be called regardless of when it occurs. I’ll live with the foul discrepancy during the game - this is the Big East - but the kind of foul against Dingle on that last play requires a whistle. On to Jersey.

Right. Got to protect the airborne shooter. Reminds me of what about 5 years ago in the final 4 game with Virginia/Auburn I believe.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board