(5) Weekend Big East Games 1/12 thru 1/14/24

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (5) Weekend Big East Games 1/12 thru 1/14/24

Postby kmacker69 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:13 pm

Butler vs SH was another tough loss for the Dawgs. Could whine about not getting a home whistle, but we didn't hit a shot for the last few mins and SH hit tough shots to end the game. That was the real difference of the game. :mrgreen: I'm happy to not have a bunch of guys that fold when things aren't going there way and keep fighting again. (Still a year off I think to make a big splash and be really back, but we're way tougher.)

Officials in college basketball are not great any more and are getting older with worse to none coming up behind them. We have the best we're going to get and it's only getting worse going forward unless they figure out how to train/incentivize talent into the profession.
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby sju88grad » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:27 pm

Omaha1 wrote:Regarding the officiating, here’s a post from Dauster:

“You can't show officials up, I get it, but T'ing a dude up for reacting to a blatant missed called in a competitive game sucks. That ref cost Creighton three points as a result. Brutal.”

I think the biggest surprise for me this game is what a paper tiger Kalkbrenner is…. ;)
sju88grad

Postby mel ott » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:50 pm

sju88grad wrote:
Omaha1 wrote:Regarding the officiating, here’s a post from Dauster:

“You can't show officials up, I get it, but T'ing a dude up for reacting to a blatant missed called in a competitive game sucks. That ref cost Creighton three points as a result. Brutal.”

I think the biggest surprise for me this game is what a paper tiger Kalkbrenner is…. ;)

Good to use humor in a loss(or a win for that matter). Johnnies are tough. Great coaching in the Big East.
mel ott

Postby kayako » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:51 pm

If Xavier starts winning... I don't think it's ideal to have 9 teams in the conference cannibalize each other, not with our mediocre OOC performance. It's more fun this way, but hopefully we see clear separation between top 6 or 7 teams and the rest.
supernova
kayako

Postby kayako » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:05 pm

Gotta love Rick Pitino's answer when asked about the non-call. I think he's trying to get in Hurley's head lately.
supernova
kayako

Postby stever20 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:10 pm

kayako wrote:If Xavier starts winning... I don't think it's ideal to have 9 teams in the conference cannibalize each other, not with our mediocre OOC performance. It's more fun this way, but hopefully we see clear separation between top 6 or 7 teams and the rest.

I think Providence is dropping like a rock. If Butler had fouled on purpose late they'd be on a 5 game losing streak right now. The injury was just such a killer.
stever20

Postby mel ott » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:51 pm

I know it's tough to lose on a last play. But to blame the refs is always the easy call. Creighton is the lowest fouling team in the entire country and St John's is the most fouling team in the Big East. Not a surprise there is a difference in fouls. To pick a couple of plays- how about 1)Baylor getting a T for saying he got fouled on a shot ( which he did) and it cost us 2 pts on free throws and then St John's got the ball, and 2)a couple minutes later St John's takes the ball out of bounds and their guy runs through Miller and no whistle. The announcers say that should be an offensive foul. There are always bad calls on both sides. The key is don't be in a position to make one bad call be the difference. Creighton surely played poorly enough that it shouldn't have come down to a last play. St. John's is a tough team. They will be in the tournament and I will be cheering for them.
mel ott

Postby redmen9194 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:34 am

mel ott wrote:I know it's tough to lose on a last play. But to blame the refs is always the easy call. Creighton is the lowest fouling team in the entire country and St John's is the most fouling team in the Big East. Not a surprise there is a difference in fouls. To pick a couple of plays- how about 1)Baylor getting a T for saying he got fouled on a shot ( which he did) and it cost us 2 pts on free throws and then St John's got the ball, and 2)a couple minutes later St John's takes the ball out of bounds and their guy runs through Miller and no whistle. The announcers say that should be an offensive foul. There are always bad calls on both sides. The key is don't be in a position to make one bad call be the difference. Creighton surely played poorly enough that it shouldn't have come down to a last play. St. John's is a tough team. They will be in the tournament and I will be cheering for them.

I’m not blaming the refs for losing the game, SJU made a number of mistakes that should have put the game away. But that call simply has to be made as does the tackle of Jenkins a few ticks earlier. The Jays cannot complain about the refs in this game. The disparity in calls was stark - which I’m overall ok with. It’s part of the game. All I’m saying is there is no swallowing the whistle at the end of the game when a player is undercut like Dingle was. You want to no call simple contact on the last play, I’m fine with that. This was different. This is not a case of “refs always miss calls”.
redmen9194

Postby DeadHeadHoya » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:15 am

Go Hoyas
DeadHeadHoya

Postby Omaha1 » Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:22 am

Jays aren’t deep and Pitino was smart enough to play a lot of guys and full court press the entire game. CU missed a ton of FTs in the second half which I attribute to tired legs.

Mac got lucky yesterday because he was out coached by Pitino. Hopefully we shoot the ball better the next time.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board