It's hard to believe but...

The home for Big East hoops

Postby hoops22 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:40 pm

Back in 1985 there was a game that featured the No 1 and No. 2 teams in the country. And if you've been watching the BE all season, you might find it hard to believe that it was No. 2 DePaul vs No 1 Georgetown. Wow, how the mighty have fallen. I've posted the game for Hoya and Blue Demon fans as a reminder things haven't always been the way they are now, and hopefully won't be forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTvCiQg9qQA
hoops22

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: It's hard to believe but...

Postby Omaha1 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:18 pm

I had to really work to convince my son that DePaul used to be good.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby gtmoBlue » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:04 pm

Ohhh Yaasssss.

Back in the day - as they say - when the hate was still sorta fresh!

Yep from the mid 70s to approx 1990 DePaul was a team to be reckoned with...perinneally ranked, tough, with the great one
Coach Ray Meyer at the helm.

"Those were da days my friend, we thought they'd never end. We'd sing and dance forever and a day.
We'd live the life we choose, we'd fight n never lose. Those were the days - oh yes, those were the days!
"lide, lide, lide, lideee-lide-lide, lide lide, lideee-lide-lide, those were the days - oh yes those were the days!."

Down in da 'Big O', those days (DePaul/Marquette)- some great games; were generally nightmares...with an occasional win. Glad as hell those days are over.
AND dear ol' Gtwn Hangin Sax players...Would not stoop so low as to play lil Cr8n - even with a Papal decree, no less! F'in Hoya Saxas. Da SoBs DESERVE every loss they've taken over the last several years. Here's to another 25 years of losing basketball records for 'Dear Old Georgetown", baby! ;) :D :D

PS: Does UConn have a msg board. I want to go and talk shit...asap. Gonna hang another "L" on those sobs, come Saturday.
Last edited by gtmoBlue on Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby MUBoxer » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:44 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Down in da 'Big O', those days (DePaul/Marquette)- some great games; were generally nightmares...with an occasional win. Glad as hell those days are over.
AND dear ol' Gtwn Hangin Sax players...Would not stoop so low as to play lil Cr8n - even with a Papal decree, no less! F'in Hoya Saxas. Da SoBs DESERVE every loss they've taken over the last several years. Here's to another 25 years of loosing basketball records for 'Dear Old Georgetown", baby! ;) :D :D

PS: Does UConn have a msg board. I want to go and talk shit...asap. Gonna hang another "L" on those sobs, come Saturday.

Can't speak for DePaul but your record was 1-16 against us between 1968 & 1985 (admittedly went farther than the mid 70s time frame)

UConn's forum is called the boneyard
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby MUPanther » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:49 pm

Wow. Gary Bender and Billy Packer on CBS for the game.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Return to Big East basketball message board