Georgetown attendance and future home court questions

The home for Big East hoops

Postby ArmyVet » Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:38 am

It was announced yesterday that Ted Leonsis who owns the Washington Capitals and Wizards plans to move the teams from their current home location at Capital One Arena in DC to a new arena being planned in Northern Virginia. Georgetown also currently plays at Capital One.

I can't imagine Georgetown has any desire to play outside of DC, so the question becomes where will they play? Last night the attendance was pitiful and Cooley even addressed the lack of support in his post game press conference.

Is there any opportunity for Georgetown to build an on campus arena somewhere or what do you think the administration and fans would best support?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/391 ... s-virginia
ArmyVet

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Georgetown attendance and future home court questions

Postby billyjack » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:51 pm

Is there a more consistently scummy group of humans than owners of pro sports teams? Think of the balls you have to have to squeeze $500 million plus bucks out of a city. It's unbelievable to me.
Providence
billyjack

Postby ArmyVet » Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:37 pm

billyjack wrote:Is there a more consistently scummy group of humans than owners of pro sports teams? Think of the balls you have to have to squeeze $500 million plus bucks out of a city. It's unbelievable to me.

Apparently Leonsis is a Georgetown grad and benefactor. Wonder if he would really pull the rug out from under the Hoyas basketball program completely. If they aren't playing at Capital One, where can Georgetown play that would attract students and fans?
ArmyVet

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:30 pm

Renovate Capital One to a 10-12k facility. I'd think the Northern Virginia location (for Georgetown) is less than ideal.

Long-term, Georgetown should look at an on-campus arena (9k-10k).
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Vill » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:14 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Renovate Capital One to a 10-12k facility. I'd think the Northern Virginia location (for Georgetown) is less than ideal.

Long-term, Georgetown should look at an on-campus arena (9k-10k).

On campus allows the school and athletic department to solely control and benefit. I'm guessing that there isn't a whole lot of available land on or near campus to build something of this size.
Vill

Postby micgoG'town » Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:33 pm

Thompson's Towel has a comprehensive review of Georgetown's arena possibilities. I'm all for the Key Bridge Marriott plan. The University doesn't seem to have any plan unfortunately.
micgoG'town

Postby EMT » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:41 am

billyjack wrote:Is there a more consistently scummy group of humans than owners of pro sports teams? Think of the balls you have to have to squeeze $500 million plus bucks out of a city. It's unbelievable to me.

This is probably why:

Just this past week, Virginia Governor Glenn Youngkin and Monumental Sports and Entertainment owner Ted Leonsis announced at a news conference in Alexandria plans to build a $2 billion sports and entertainment district that will create 30,000 new jobs for the state and be the new home of the Washington Wizards and Capitals, as well as the corporate headquarters for Monumental, set to open in 2028.
EMT

Return to Big East basketball message board