23-24 NET Ratings

The home for Big East hoops

Re: 23-24 NET Ratings

Postby kayako » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:10 pm

stever20 wrote:
kayako wrote:Losing to Notre Dame by 22 is not.. good. UVA was 31, ND 237 before the game.

It's great for Georgetown!

lol we'll see about Georgetown and Marquette

FGCU over Florida Atlantic was even bigger NET spread (6 vs. 288) so lets see tomorrow.
supernova
kayako

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby kayako » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:37 pm

UVA: 31 to 54
Notre Dame: 237 to 187
Marquette: 12 to 10
Georgetown: 202 to 203
Florida Atlantic: 6 to 18
supernova
kayako

Postby sju88grad » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:45 am

I know it's still relatively early in the season but the whole NET thing confuses the hell out of me.....I was looking at the NCAA website and found that Iowa State is ranked 6th in the NET. They have a record of 11-2 which breaks down by Quads as follows:

Quad 1 - 0-1
Quad 2 - 2-1
Quad 3 - 1-0
Quad 4 - 8-0

I thought the purpose of the NET was to keep teams from piling up wins against crappy opponents.....
sju88grad

Postby stever20 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:47 am

sju88grad wrote:I know it's still relatively early in the season but the whole NET thing confuses the hell out of me.....I was looking at the NCAA website and found that Iowa State is ranked 6th in the NET. They have a record of 11-2 which breaks down by Quads as follows:

Quad 1 - 0-1
Quad 2 - 2-1
Quad 3 - 1-0
Quad 4 - 8-0

I thought the purpose of the NET was to keep teams from piling up wins against crappy opponents.....

It was partly done by the Gonzaga head coach. That should tell you something. Crappy opponents don't hurt you anywhere near as much if you blow them out. Where the NET kills you with crappy opponents is if you have close calls with them.
stever20

Postby sju88grad » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:51 am

stever20 wrote:
sju88grad wrote:I know it's still relatively early in the season but the whole NET thing confuses the hell out of me.....I was looking at the NCAA website and found that Iowa State is ranked 6th in the NET. They have a record of 11-2 which breaks down by Quads as follows:

Quad 1 - 0-1
Quad 2 - 2-1
Quad 3 - 1-0
Quad 4 - 8-0

It was partly done by the Gonzaga head coach. That should tell you something. Crappy opponents don't hurt you anywhere near as much if you blow them out. Where the NET kills you with crappy opponents is if you have close calls with them.

Thanks Stever!
sju88grad

Postby kayako » Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:04 am

ecasadoSBU wrote:I think you have to have more than 4 games at the same venue for a game there to be automatically considered a "HOME GAME" for NCAA purposes, no?

EDIT: The reason the game is a neutral site is because the game was part of the new Big-5 Classic format - a single day triple-header between the Big-5 (6 with the addition of Drexel) teams at the same venue. So technically it's a neutral game for everyone. Now, if you play more than 4 home games at the venue it may be treated as a home game anyway for NET purposes

Home venue rule is to somewhat prevent home court advantage in the NCAAT. Nova typically likes to play weekend games at the WFC (5 this season), but only limits itself to 3 games in seasons that WFC hosts NCAAT games, in hopes to be placed there. They tried this in 2022, but it backfired as Nova got sent to the south region. There is no rule I am aware of that automatically assigns home designation for net purposes. AFAIK all Big5 classic tickets were sold as 3 game package and revenue split 6 ways, so yeah Nova would never agree to be the "host" team.

On a slightly related note, signs are pointing to the Sixers building their own arena in center city within 6-7 years. It would surprise me if Nova doesn't follow them out of WFC, but it's nice to have options.
supernova
kayako

Postby stever20 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:47 am

kayako wrote:
ecasadoSBU wrote:I think you have to have more than 4 games at the same venue for a game there to be automatically considered a "HOME GAME" for NCAA purposes, no?

EDIT: The reason the game is a neutral site is because the game was part of the new Big-5 Classic format - a single day triple-header between the Big-5 (6 with the addition of Drexel) teams at the same venue. So technically it's a neutral game for everyone. Now, if you play more than 4 home games at the venue it may be treated as a home game anyway for NET purposes

Home venue rule is to somewhat prevent home court advantage in the NCAAT. Nova typically likes to play weekend games at the WFC (5 this season), but only limits itself to 3 games in seasons that WFC hosts NCAAT games, in hopes to be placed there. They tried this in 2022, but it backfired as Nova got sent to the south region. There is no rule I am aware of that automatically assigns home designation for net purposes. AFAIK all Big5 classic tickets were sold as 3 game package and revenue split 6 ways, so yeah Nova would never agree to be the "host" team.

On a slightly related note, signs are pointing to the Sixers building their own arena in center city within 6-7 years. It would surprise me if Nova doesn't follow them out of WFC, but it's nice to have options.

I know the BET always counts as home games for St John's in the NET. I thought the rule was any game in a home arena for a team is designated as a home game. Not sure really what the difference would be there.
stever20

Postby kayako » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:25 am

stever20 wrote:I know the BET always counts as home games for St John's in the NET.

Is there confirmation for this?
supernova
kayako

Postby stever20 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:45 am

kayako wrote:
stever20 wrote:I know the BET always counts as home games for St John's in the NET.

Is there confirmation for this?

I looked last year at Marquette who played St John's in the BET. Was listed as a road game for them. (same with Butler)
stever20

Postby kayako » Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:08 am

stever20 wrote:I looked last year at Marquette who played St John's in the BET. Was listed as a road game for them. (same with Butler)

That's weird. I'll be sure to check NCAA's NET rankings page for this oddity when the time comes.
supernova
kayako

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board