DePaul Future

The home for Big East hoops

DePaul Future

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:43 pm

With DePaul's loss to NIU yesterday, they have now dropped to 1-5 (losses to San Francisco, South Carolina, Long Beach State and Purdue Fort Wayne). Each of their home games thus far are below 3k paid attendance, with less than that in-person attendance. Stubblefield is undoubtedly gone after (if not before) the end of the season, so going into his stats would be pointless. Even though we have yet to begin conference play, DePaul is 96-274 (.282%) in the Big East since joining in 2005. It has had just two winning seasons overall since joining the conference and has yet to make an NCAAT in that timeframe.

Despite a new athletic director (from a Blue Blood basketball program), a new head coach (who supposedly was an outstanding recruiter with Nike connections), a new basketball arena (which was supposed to bring more students and fans to games), a projected new practice facility opening in the next three years, being in a power basketball conference and located in one of the most talent-rich areas for basketball in the country, none of that has assisted DePaul in taking a step forward with its basketball program. An argument can be made that this year's team might very well be worse than any season under Leitao, Purnell or Wainwright.

The Big East doesn't need DePaul to be a national championship contender. However, it certainly can't afford to have one program continue to be a guaranteed anchor year-in and year-out with minimal chance at a winning record (let alone competing for an NCAAT berth). They aren't going anywhere (dropping to A10 or getting booted is not happening), so they need to figure stuff out.

I doubt Peevy is on the hot-seat yet, so he will likely get another HC hire. He really wanted Kenny Payne before Louisville hired him (depending on how the season goes, Payne might become available). He will likely need to hire a proven HC since his assistant hire has been a disaster. I'd like to see them go after Crean. He an elite marketer and promoter, which they desperately need, and has strong Midwest ties (not to mention Chicago connections). His Georgia tenure aside, which wasn't a fit to begin with, he had tremendous success at Indiana and Marquette.
GoldenWarrior11

DePaul Future

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: DePaul Future

Postby DudeAnon » Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:36 pm

Media markets aren't the be all end all, but it really is a shame that NYC, Washington DC and Chicago have been home to our worst programs for a decade now.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Demon22 » Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:44 pm

Meh.

DePaul really needs someone that can get people excited. Tom Crean might be a pretty good coach, but I don't think he'll excite anyone.

And their attendance issues have nothing to do with a lack of marketing, and everything to do with two decades of abject failure. Fans will show up if there's a reason to show up.
Demon22

Postby radiowirez » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:27 am

I actually think Chris Mack would be a good candidate for DePaul - midwest connections, he may be looking for redemption, and back in the Big East and basketball focused schools which he clearly misses. Porter Moser may be another, dont think hes a great fit at Oklahoma.

but yeah they need a homerun hire next time around. I disliked the Stubbs hire at first, then liked it, but yeah he's fallen off and ain't it.
radiowirez

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:40 pm

While DePaul continues in dire straits, I don't think any of the aforementioned coaches have what it takes to turn around a program so mired in quicksaand.
DePaul's administration, Ath Dept administration, etc. are stone age relics. These folks have no idea of what is needed to turn the Hoops program around.
The DePaul hierarchy is primarily concerned about themselves, not the program.

My recommendation for new HC for the Blue Demons is Iona's HC, Tobin Anderson.
Anderson has been a proven winner at all 3 levels: Divs 1, 2, & 3. Has turned around Div 1 programs at FDU & Iona.
He's an Iowa-grown guy, son of a famous coach, is a hardnosed tactician, and a winner. Anderson has the drive, the skills,
the tenacity & determination to revitalize DePaul - to make them relevant again.

Remeber the Name: Tobin Anderson.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Burrito » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:01 am

Swap out Depaul for Dayton.
Burrito

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:09 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:My recommendation for new HC for the Blue Demons is Iona's HC, Tobin Anderson.
Anderson has been a proven winner at all 3 levels: Divs 1, 2, & 3. Has turned around Div 1 programs at FDU & Iona.

He had a .589 winning pct in Division III, did well in D2. FD was 17-14 in the regular season last year, lost in the conference tournament and got an NCAA berth because the champ wasn't eligible. Won an NCAA play-in game against a fellow 16 seed. Then he beat Purdue. Other than that ONE GAME, nothing in that resume speaks of a coach who will turn around DePaul.

Iona is currently 2-5 in his "turnaround" with a noncon schedule ranked 187 on KenPom.

Sorry, Git, but DePaul has to be able to do better than that.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby billyjack » Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:23 pm

I thought we discussed the FAU guy as the solid option for DePaul? He has roots in Peoria, and near Terre Haute, and worked under Bobby Knight.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Demon22 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:19 pm

Burrito wrote:Swap out Depaul for Dayton.

Swap out Virginia Commonwealth for Georgetown.

By the way, DePaul is 7-5 in their last 12 games against the Hoyas.
Demon22

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:48 am

Demon22 wrote:
Burrito wrote:Swap out Depaul for Dayton.

Swap out Virginia Commonwealth for Georgetown.

By the way, DePaul is 7-5 in their last 12 games against the Hoyas.

:lol:
Wizard of Westroads

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board