(4) Tuesday Big East Games 11/7/23

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (4) Tuesday Big East Games 11/7/23

Postby kayako » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:46 am

stever20 wrote:
kayako wrote:No biggie. Just need DePaul to manage 150ish or better NET OOC.

as I've seen with the AAC, just can't afford to have close games with DePaul for the key teams. If you beat them enough, their NET rating won't matter realistically.

Just gotta hope that we can avoid having last year's Louisville situation. Pretty sure their NET was sub 350 at one point, and probably screwed Clemson's at-large bid. A team that bad would have even bigger impact in 11 team conference with double round-robin schedule.
supernova
kayako

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 11:53 am

kayako wrote:
stever20 wrote:
kayako wrote:No biggie. Just need DePaul to manage 150ish or better NET OOC.

as I've seen with the AAC, just can't afford to have close games with DePaul for the key teams. If you beat them enough, their NET rating won't matter realistically.

Just gotta hope that we can avoid having last year's Louisville situation. Pretty sure their NET was sub 350 at one point, and probably screwed Clemson's at-large bid. A team that bad would have even bigger impact in 11 team conference with double round-robin schedule.

TThe problem for Clemson wasn't Louisville's rating, it was actually losing to Louisville.

The NET isn't like the RPI where there are RPI bombs where you get hurt by playing bad teams. Not if you win by enough.
stever20

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:50 pm

Does anyone know if contraction is actually possible? If there is any school that has warranted it, it has to be DePaul.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby MakScratcher3 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:00 pm

serious question: what the f*&k does DePaul bring to this conference other than Catholicism? What an utter embarrassment they have been for 20 years counting. It needs to be addressed; it is as if they almost don't actually give a shit about their program. Fairly inexcusable in my opinion, when you examine their last 3-4 decades of results.
MakScratcher3

Postby stever20 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:24 pm

DudeAnon wrote:Does anyone know if contraction is actually possible? If there is any school that has warranted it, it has to be DePaul.

would think it'd be possible- see Temple with football about 20 years ago.
stever20

Postby kayako » Wed Nov 08, 2023 1:35 pm

stever20 wrote:
TThe problem for Clemson wasn't Louisville's rating, it was actually losing to Louisville.

Maybe my first post wasn't clear enough and we ended up talking about 2 different things. OOC NET affects the other ten teams, so 150ish is just an arbitrary number I'm hoping DePaul can top.
supernova
kayako

Postby hoops22 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:37 pm

stever20 wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:Does anyone know if contraction is actually possible? If there is any school that has warranted it, it has to be DePaul.

I think the Temple situation was a little different. If I remember correctly, there were attendance benchmarks Temple needed to meet, but never came close to. There may have been other benchmarks as well. And it still took a prolonged legal battle to get them out, once the BE wanted to oust them.
hoops22

Postby Mufan15 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:11 pm

https://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_asse ... Bylaws.pdf

This is ten years old so it’s possible it’s been amended. It appears a 3/4 majority vote (not including the member subject to the vote) can remove a member. It does require a valid cause for a removal vote to occur and lists a couple reasons Sucking at basketball probably would not be a valid cause on its own. Interestingly, a 3/4 majority can also vote to amend the bylaws so perhaps they could just amend the bylaws to add another cause that they could remove DePaul under. That would require an additional school in favor since DePaul would get a vote. So if it’s possible they would likely need 9 votes for it.

I’m not a lawyer so I could be missing something. Regardless, I doubt they could get to 9 schools for removal.
Mufan15

Postby kayako » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:39 am

hoops22 wrote:
stever20 wrote:

I think the Temple situation was a little different. If I remember correctly, there were attendance benchmarks Temple needed to meet, but never came close to. There may have been other benchmarks as well. And it still took a prolonged legal battle to get them out, once the BE wanted to oust them.

I don't think many presidents want to set precedence, because it could be them next. Temple as an associate member was a low hanging fruit.
supernova
kayako

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board