Fox Sports in Negotiations to Hold a New Tourney

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Fox Sports in Negotiations to Hold a New Tourney

Postby Vill » Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:56 am

kayako wrote:Love this. The NIT was becoming a little too mid-major, and with no MSG it's even less desirable.

This ^^^

That said, the national blowback from the talking heads was almost 100% negative toward the possibility of a new tournament. I guess we'll see if this actually materializes.
Vill

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Omaha1 » Sun Oct 29, 2023 12:03 pm

And now the NIT has changed their selection criteria as a result.

NIT Changes:

For the 2024 NIT, conference regular season champions that do not win their conference tournament or are not otherwise selected to the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship will not receive an automatic bid to the NIT.  Instead, the NIT will guarantee two teams (based on the NET rankings) from each of six conferences (Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and Southeastern). The top two teams in the NET rankings not qualifying for the NCAA men’s basketball tournament from each conference, regardless of won-loss record, will be selected.  Additionally, the 12 teams automatically selected will be guaranteed the opportunity to host a game in the first round of the NIT. 

Once the 12 automatic qualifying schools have been selected, the NIT Committee will select the 20 best teams available to complete the tournament’s 32-team field.  Based on the NIT Committee’s evaluation, the best four teams of the 20 at-large teams selected will complete the 16 first round hosts, with deference given to the “first four teams out” of the Division I Men’s Basketball Championship, as determined by the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball.  Additional teams from the six conferences with AQs are eligible to be selected as at-large teams and can be selected as hosts.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Jet915 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:50 am

Omaha1 wrote:And now the NIT has changed their selection criteria as a result.

NIT Changes:

For the 2024 NIT, conference regular season champions that do not win their conference tournament or are not otherwise selected to the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Championship will not receive an automatic bid to the NIT.  Instead, the NIT will guarantee two teams (based on the NET rankings) from each of six conferences (Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and Southeastern). The top two teams in the NET rankings not qualifying for the NCAA men’s basketball tournament from each conference, regardless of won-loss record, will be selected.  Additionally, the 12 teams automatically selected will be guaranteed the opportunity to host a game in the first round of the NIT. 

Once the 12 automatic qualifying schools have been selected, the NIT Committee will select the 20 best teams available to complete the tournament’s 32-team field.  Based on the NIT Committee’s evaluation, the best four teams of the 20 at-large teams selected will complete the 16 first round hosts, with deference given to the “first four teams out” of the Division I Men’s Basketball Championship, as determined by the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball.  Additional teams from the six conferences with AQs are eligible to be selected as at-large teams and can be selected as hosts.

Yeah I dont like this, really sticks it to the mid/low majors. Most major teams don't want to play in the NIT anyways...
Jet915

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board