Add Gonzaga and St Mary's

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Add Gonzaga and St Mary's

Postby hortle » Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:05 pm

Doesn't surprise me we are still talking about the same 3-5 candidate schools that were left behind a decade ago. Our conference is unique enough that new candidates don't really emerge...there are schools that fit the mold and those that don't, and the hope is that those in the mold will elevate themselves to a respectable, consistent top 50-75 program. But it hasn't happened with the school that (most) everyone can agree on -- SLU.

Of course, UCONN was a no-brainer. But there are no other schools that fit their profile...except ND. Surely we'd take them in a heartbeat, but they have other options for now.

My guess is that we make zero additions until the ACC dissolves like the PAC-12...if it even happens. Then we'll have to consider a couple options.
hortle

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby sju88grad » Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:47 pm

billyjack wrote:If the Big East were to expand, and the semi-realistic semi-plausible schools become available, this is my updated list of preferences:

A rating of 90 or higher means i would favor
inviting them now. A rating of say 12% means theyve only achieved about an eighth of the requirements to join us-- still a ton of work for them to do.

This is a highly scientific ratings system that i pulled out of my lower intestine. Actually i think it does provide an idea of my level of enthusiasm and thoughts of potential contributions for these many schools... like, Davidson is not even on my radar, whereas i'd like to keep an eye on Saint Thomas to track their growth (just under 20% accomplished).

This accounts for new footprints... and access to an NBA arena (or a nearby arena capacity of 12k or more) is a big boost... tradition is big boost... fans that give a sh-t is a big boost... big cities provide a big boost... some sort of hook like a fresh up and coming program is a big boost if paired with combo of big city (like FAU gets a boost, while Saint Louis gets downgraded).

And i go into this with absolute disregard for the Hoya clownshow and their feelings.

Please note: this list is unscientific and i just had a gummie 45 minutes ago.

100 - Notre Dame.
100 - Syracuse.
93 - Gonzaga.
- - - cut line - - -
69 - Dayton.
49 - VCU.
35 - Carlton Univ of Ottawa.
19 - San Francisco (Warriors arena).
18 - Florida Atlantic.
10 - Saint Thomas (T-Wolves arena).
7 - Northeastern.
5 - St Bona (must play all in Buffalo)
3 - Vermont (play half in Montreal).
3 - Siena.
3 - St Mary's (play all in Oakland)
3 - Holy Cross.
0.01 - Boston Univ.
0.003 - Detroit Mercy.
0.002 - Univ of Toronto.
0.0007 - Richmond.
- - - 2nd cut line - - -
0 - McGill in Montreal (team sucks).
0 - Saint Louis.
0 - Davidson.
0 - Boston College.
0 - Pitt.
0 - West Virginia.
0 - Wake Forest.
* FAU provides a winter vacation destination for all of us as we freeze in February, along with a boost from transplanted BE retirees in that West Palm to Miami corridor.

** JPSchmack i think is the Bonnies fan. None of us should drive to Olean in January, madonne!

Billyjack, proving again why he’s my favorite poster. Glad you’re a fan of the gummies. Took one earlier. Love ‘em….
sju88grad

Postby Xudash » Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:13 pm

Jay Bilas chimes in with his Top 5 Rivalries list. No surprises with respect to 1 through 4, but he actually went the mid-major route for #5 and put up St. Mary's v Gonzaga for that one:

https://twitter.com/JayBilas/status/1701332206256369767
XAVIER
Xudash

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board