USA Basketball team

The home for Big East hoops

USA Basketball team

Postby Novachap » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:04 am

Full fan boy admission here. It's been great seeing Brunson, Bridges and to a lesser extent Hart, playing in the FIBA tune up games. Fun team to watch, young, like to run, will be interesting to see how they do when it counts.

Man, reminds me of how freaking good that 2017- 2018 Nova team was. 5 of the 8 that saw time are still in the NBA, 2 more were in the NBA and 2 are still big players abroad. Ah, the good ole days.
Novachap

USA Basketball team

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: USA Basketball team

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:50 am

Novachap wrote:Full fan boy admission here. It's been great seeing Brunson, Bridges and to a lesser extent Hart, playing in the FIBA tune up games. Fun team to watch, young, like to run, will be interesting to see how they do when it counts.

Man, reminds me of how freaking good that 2017- 2018 Nova team was. 5 of the 8 that saw time are still in the NBA, 2 more were in the NBA and 2 are still big players abroad. Ah, the good ole days.

I know this is borderline blasphemy among the Nova fan base but...is the ole' Chicken or the Egg at play here? Should Jay get credit for turning a bunch of 50-100 ranked kids into pros or did we just hit a very fortunate stretch where we found a bunch of diamonds in the rough? Did Jay make them or did they make him? Really only JB and JRE were top 25 players coming out of H.S.

Jalen, Hart, Bridges, Bey, Robinson-Earl, DiVincenzo, Gillespie, Arch, Omari, Paschall--now Samuels signing a 2-way contract. 11 guys all in the program between 2016-2020. Pretty remarkable run.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Omaha1 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:13 pm

I give Jay most of the credit. He took really good players and got them to commit to individual development and team success instead of instant gratification.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Django » Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:53 pm

It’s kind of a chicken or the egg question… all those players were prolly bound for greatness somewhere, but it was Jay who got them and without a doubt honed and amplified their talents, work ethic, drive for greatness, etc…. But for Me Jenkins’ shot was the ultimate best ever moment for me in all my 45 years of following college hoops. Only Creighton winning it all could top that. The Big East was so unified back then I think everyone felt like Nova won it for the entire Big East.
Django

Return to Big East basketball message board