UCONN, The Big East and realignment

The home for Big East hoops

Re: UCONN, The Big East and realignment

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:43 pm

Interesting discussion and takes. Who is hoops22? A nova/temple guy? lol

Thanks GW11 - the voice of reason in the wilderness. Loving your calm, logical, feedback.

Fellas, fellas, fellas...there is no such thing as an "Airtight", "lock tight", or "jail" GoR. Any Gor can be broken. It merely depends on who/which Univ. wants out bad enough to break it. UConn broke one, SDSU was willing to break one. UT/OU broke one. The PAC12 schools didn't need to break theirs, as it ended/ends this year or next.

All it takes is for a school to really want out. The dollar figures are fantasy money as it is yet to materialize in a bank account...$100, 200, 600, 800 Million...mere numbers as the money has yet to be made/earned. Monopoly money.

Seven schools are known to want out of the ACC. UNC, UVA, Clemson, FSU, NCST, Miami, & VT. I don't know what their quorum is: 8, 9, more?

Shits n Grins example: Let's say a decision quorum is eight teams. The Golden Domers join the G7 (Group of Seven ACC desenters) to make a quorum. The decision is made to dissolve the ACC. The seven schools go their merry way to whomever want them (B1G/SEC/B12). The Touchdown Jesus' stay independent in Football and send their other sports to the Big East. The Pac-12 example is a preview... as ND, Duke, S'cuse, others scramble to find a new home. ND, Duke, and Syracuse come to the BEast, the rest die.

The leftover 7 then attempt to poach from 'lesser' conferences to rebuild. The problem is that many of the teams that would supplant those leaving have already been poached by the B12 and (soon to be by the P12). Sooo AAC, Patriot, A10, CUSA, BE, others would be “on the clock”. The big issue as pointed out by GW11, is that the ACC's contract would be null & void...no more $23-30 Mill/per team/per year. With the football powers vacating – that contract, IF still in force, would drop to MWC or AAC levels. Nothing to write home about, and hardly a strong calling card for new accessions. ;)

“US college sports’ Mountain West Conference has announced new six-year media rights deals with commercial broadcaster CBS and pay-television network Fox Sports worth a combined US$270 million.
The deals, which run from the 2020/21 season through the 2025/26 campaign, will see the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) conference’s members receive around US$4 million each year, a considerable increase on the annual US$1.1 million they get under the current contract.”
https://www.sportspromedia.com/broadcas ... 20contract.

From my seat up here in the nosebleed section - They (ACC G7) need to git to work and break that damn agreement...NOW. I don't want any loose ends mucking up the works for our new negotiations come July 2024 & into 2025. A defunct ACC clears the deck for a highly prosperous negotiations for the Big East come negotiations time. I still say that the BE (14-team config) will pick up 3 ACC 'leftover' teams once the implosion occurs and go about our business. If we want to go to 16 (without going left coast) add Pitt and one of St Bonnies, LaSalle, Carlton, Holy Cross - and call it a day. If UConn leaves...add L'ville or Temple.

git
Last edited by gtmoBlue on Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Django » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:02 pm

gtmoBlue wrote: The big issue as pointed out by GW11, is that the ACC's contract would be null & void...no more $23-30 Mill/per team/per year. With the football powers vacating – that contract, IF still in force, would drop to MWC or AAC levels. Nothing to write home about, and hardly a strong calling card for new accessions.

git

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^

UCONN will join them in the ACCCCCK Part 2 and they can all go bankrupt AND get their heads taken off for a measely $1 mil buy game with their shit football teams.
Django

Postby Xudash » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:20 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Interesting discussion and takes. Who is hoops22? A nova/temple guy? lol

Thanks GW11 - the voice of reason in the wilderness. Loving your calm, logical, feedback.

Fellas, fellas, fellas...there is no such thing as an "Airtight", "lock tight", or "jail" GoR. Any Gor can be broken. It merely depends on who/which Univ. wants out bad enough to break it. UConn broke one, SDSU was willing to break one. UT/OU broke one. The PAC12 schools didn't need to break theirs, as it ended/ends this year or next.

All it takes is for a school to really want out. The dollar figures are fantasy money as it is yet to materialize in a bank account...$100, 200, 600, 800 Million...mere numbers as the money has yet to be made/earned. Monopoly money.

Seven schools are known to want out of the ACC. UNC, UVA, Clemson, FSU, NCST, Miami, & VT. I don't know what their quorum is: 8, 9, more?

Shits n Grins example: Let's say a decision quorum is eight teams. The Golden Domers join the G7 (Group of Seven ACC desenters) to make a quorum. The decision is made to dissolve the ACC. The seven schools go their merry way to whomever want them (B1G/SEC/B12). The Touchdown Jesus' stay independent in Football and send their other sports to the Big East. The Pac-12 example is a preview... as ND, Duke, S'cuse, others scramble to find a new home. ND, Duke, and Syracuse come to the BEast, the rest die.

The leftover 7 then attempt to poach from 'lesser' conferences to rebuild. The problem is that many of the teams that would supplant those leaving have already been poached by the B12 and (soon to be by the P12). Sooo AAC, Patriot, A10, CUSA, BE, others would be “on the clock”. The big issue as pointed out by GW11, is that the ACC's contract would be null & void...no more $23-30 Mill/per team/per year. With the football powers vacating – that contract, IF still in force, would drop to MWC or AAC levels. Nothing to write home about, and hardly a strong calling card for new accessions. ;)

“US college sports’ Mountain West Conference has announced new six-year media rights deals with commercial broadcaster CBS and pay-television network Fox Sports worth a combined US$270 million.
The deals, which run from the 2020/21 season through the 2025/26 campaign, will see the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) conference’s members receive around US$4 million each year, a considerable increase on the annual US$1.1 million they get under the current contract.”
https://www.sportspromedia.com/broadcas ... 20contract.

From my seat up here in the nosebleed section - They (ACC G7) need to git to work and break that damn agreement...NOW. I don't want any loose ends mucking up the works for our new negotiations come July 2024 & into 2025. A defunct ACC clears the deck for a highly prosperous negotiations for the Big East come negotiations time. I still say that the BE will pick up 3 ACC 'leftover' teams once the implosion occurs and go about our business.

git

gtmo, it’s one thing to be able to vote a GOR away, but it is another thing to be able to afford to do that. And I don’t believe it is monopoly money, insofar as operating budgets are operating budgets: the money is going to have to come from somewhere. If you are paying $350 million to get out of the ACC GOR (FSU), then that’s money out the door with no media money coming in behind it for the foreseeable future to fund your athletic department.

Otherwise, given that Notre Dame voted in favor of bringing in Stanford, Cal and a SMU, I don’t believe you are going to get a favorable vote from them to break the ACC up.

I would love to have the outcome you painted. I just think we’re going to have to sit around a little while longer to get there.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby adoraz » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:24 pm

GTMO- I could be wrong, but if a team leaves the ACC wouldn't they need to forfeit 100% of their TV revenue to the ACC until 2036? And further I believe there's a massive exit fee on top of that. That's nothing at all like when UConn left the AAC. I'm not saying it's impossible for team(s) to figure / negotiate a way out, I think they will at some point before 2036, but it's extremely difficult.

Right now UCF is earning more in TV revenue than FSU, so that shows just how binding the GoR is. FSU (and others) would leave in a nanosecond if there were a realistic path out.

Also, I love your optimism and I agree it's possible that some ACC schools may end up back in the Big East, but if/when the ACC implodes there's a very real possibility they'll invite UConn and maybe some basketball schools like Nova/Georgetown/St. John's. Right now might be our best opportunity to negotiate, coming off a national championship and with St. John's and Georgetown coming back from the dead.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby Xudash » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:57 pm

BTW, this US Open final between Medvedev and Djokovic is sick. The Joker just went up 2-0 in sets, but they have been pounding on one another, and many of the points have involved 20+ shots.

We will see who remain standing here!
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby adoraz » Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:08 pm

UConn just lost by 7 to FIU (UConn was favored by 7). They're now 0-3 when Vegas had them going 2-1, and it's extremely unlikely they'll win enough to be bowl eligible.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 1:35 pm

After the additions of Stanford, California and SMU, the ACC now have enough members to sustain numerous raids. Once FSU and Clemson leave, and they will within the next five years, a few others will also jump (likely UNC, Miami and both Virginia/Tech, along with 1-2 other market adds). There is enough left behind between Boston College, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Syracuse and Wake, now with California, SMU and Stanford, to backfill with the likes of USF, UConn, Tulane, Rice, etc.

Now, the money won't be what it is now (will be under $20 million per member annually). But that's still enough to entice UConn and return them to an all-sports conference. The only thing UConn needs to do is not be awful at football, and with an 0-3 start with a loss to FIU, doesn't bode well for rest of season.

If UConn can't get a call-up to a depleted ACC without football powers blocking them, I'm afraid that it would give strong consideration as to whether they should keep football at all (as FCS is a huge money loser with their stadium arrangement).

Long-story short, the likelihood of BC, Pitt, Syracuse or Wake being available for a BE invitation in coming years is much slimmer than it was about six weeks ago.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby adoraz » Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:24 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:Long-story short, the likelihood of BC, Pitt, Syracuse or Wake being available for a BE invitation in coming years is much slimmer than it was about six weeks ago.

The odds were always slim, I'm just happy the Big East remains intact. If UConn is taken by the ACC a few years from now (no guarantee), then that'll give enough time for teams like St. John's and Georgetown to become relevant again. Maybe Marquette or Creighton wins a National Title, who knows. We're in a good spot right now for TV negotiations.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby admin » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:54 am

UCONN led Utah St yesterday 17-0, but lost after having an XP blocked with under a minute to go that would have tied the game.

Huskies are now 0-5.
admin
Site Admin

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:51 am

Dump UConn Now! Forego the exit fees and shitcan them dogs now. This way there's no expected/unexpected departures
up ahead. Val needs to be proactive and not wait for the Huskies inevitable departure.

Back at 10... add 4 now (3 WC-Zags, USF, USD and promote one historic EC school -HC/Bonnies/LaSalle/Temple OR Carlton in Ontario.

OR

Stay at 10 and wait for the ACC implosion and pick up scraps (ND/Duke/S'cuse/Pitt).

**NOTE: I'm in favor of LaSalle. Excellent history and tradition. Last NCAA 2013. AND every one would get the blessed opportunity to
play in the MECCA of College Basketball - The Palestra. (Go pound sand Hinkle...)

If not LaSalle, then go international with Carlton University in Ontario,CAN.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board