ESPN Headed Towards Full Streaming?

The home for Big East hoops

Postby Xudash » Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:48 pm

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/disneys-espn-streaming-transition-to-be-massive-extra-disruptive-event-163725086.html

"Sports stands very tall in the media landscape for its ability to convene millions of people all at once," Iger said earlier this month, reiterating his bullish stance on ESPN and confirming plans to take the network fully over-the-top as a direct-to-consumer (DTC) platform.

Get your popcorn ready.
XAVIER
Xudash

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: ESPN Headed Towards Full Streaming?

Postby Omaha1 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 4:45 pm

I rarely watch ESPN anymore as I don’t really care much about football and the college hoops that I want to watch is broadcast elsewhere. If everyone unbundled and ESPN had to fend for itself, I think their revenue would be in big trouble which would have to trickle down to the rights fees that they are paying college conferences.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby butlerguy03 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:38 pm

ESPN has been the single most instigator of conference TV agreement inflation and school movement. Going toward full streaming, at least in 2023, is not a desirable move for any network.

While much more niche, IndyCar rating on NBC are in the 1.2M range, on USA in the 700k range, and on Peacock in the 100k range. Stream-only is not a wise move right now.
Butler University '03
butlerguy03

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:03 pm

For the first time ever, FS1 beat ESPN in total subscribers for July 2023.

ESPN is very much in long-term trouble (as conferences/pro leagues continue to move content over to their own networks or multiple providers).
GoldenWarrior11

Postby marquette » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:43 am

I have my doubts that the a la carte streaming model lasts much longer, at least as we know it now. As streaming services get more expensive and ads get added to all but premium tier services I think we see a move away. Probably not back to the cable model, but definitely away from the current streaming model.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Return to Big East basketball message board