Gavitt Games

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Gavitt Games

Postby admin » Thu May 04, 2023 6:16 am

Husky_U wrote:Hmmm... Feels like we're gonna get paired with Purdue or Michigan State if this happens. That would make our OOC so far...

Gavitt Game
vs 2 of Texas/Indiana/Louisville (Empire Classic)
at Kansas (BE/B12 Challenge)
vs UNC (Jimmy V Classic)

Shaping up to be our best ever OOC schedule.

I saw a headline that said UConn was likely not going to participate in the Gavitt Games this year. Can anyone confirm that?
admin
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby kayako » Thu May 04, 2023 7:03 am

admin wrote:
Husky_U wrote:Hmmm... Feels like we're gonna get paired with Purdue or Michigan State if this happens. That would make our OOC so far...

Gavitt Game
vs 2 of Texas/Indiana/Louisville (Empire Classic)
at Kansas (BE/B12 Challenge)
vs UNC (Jimmy V Classic)

Shaping up to be our best ever OOC schedule.

I saw a headline that said UConn was likely not going to participate in the Gavitt Games this year. Can anyone confirm that?

https://www.ctinsider.com/sports/uconn-mens-basketball/article/sources-uconn-men-unlikely-play-year-s-gavitt-18075680.php#photo-21520393
supernova
kayako

Postby Vill » Sat May 06, 2023 10:36 am

So UConn isn't in this just because they haven't been in it? Or do we think that was a part of their bid/acceptance back into the Big East, that none of the original 10 would lose Gavitt Games opportunities by adding UConn back in? I could see that to be honest.
Vill

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Mon May 08, 2023 1:07 pm

I still hope the Gavitt Games get extended. However, with USCLA soon joining the Big Ten, I wonder if there is less or more of a need on the B1G's part to want that.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby adoraz » Tue May 09, 2023 8:54 am

Michigan @ Johnnies, MSG. Quite the upgrade over Nebraska in CA last year.

https://twitter.com/RoccoMiller8/status ... pcirA&s=19
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby sju88grad » Tue May 09, 2023 10:44 am

adoraz wrote:Michigan @ Johnnies, MSG. Quite the upgrade over Nebraska in CA last year.

https://twitter.com/RoccoMiller8/status ... pcirA&s=19

Another example of the Pitino effect…..
sju88grad

Postby stever20 » Mon May 22, 2023 2:31 pm

the matchups:
Xavier at Purdue
Marquette at Illinois
Michigan at St. John's
Maryland at Villanova
Butler at Michigan St
Iowa at Creighton
Wisconsin at Providence
Georgetown at Rutgers
stever20

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Mon May 22, 2023 8:45 pm

stever20 wrote:the matchups:
Xavier at Purdue
Marquette at Illinois
Michigan at St. John's
Maryland at Villanova
Butler at Michigan St
Iowa at Creighton
Wisconsin at Providence
Georgetown at Rutgers

Solid matchups. Unfortunate to see Butler in there at MSU, but rest appear good.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby adoraz » Mon May 22, 2023 11:53 pm

Given there was talk a couple months about this being extended and expanded to 11 teams for this year, I'm thinking the Big East may not sign with Fox exclusively. Pretty uninspired matchups without UConn, Butler @ MSU, etc. Big 12 challenge is far more interesting this year with a matchup of the past 2 national champs, Texas @ Marquette (Shaka connection) and it taking place during one week.

(for the record I don't think they should sign with Fox exclusively but rather split the package, so I see this as a good thing, but I guess it's possible the Big Ten simply doesn't want to extend this regardless)
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby stever20 » Tue May 23, 2023 8:42 am

adoraz wrote:Given there was talk a couple months about this being extended and expanded to 11 teams for this year, I'm thinking the Big East may not sign with Fox exclusively. Pretty uninspired matchups without UConn, Butler @ MSU, etc. Big 12 challenge is far more interesting this year with a matchup of the past 2 national champs, Texas @ Marquette (Shaka connection) and it taking place during one week.

(for the record I don't think they should sign with Fox exclusively but rather split the package, so I see this as a good thing, but I guess it's possible the Big Ten simply doesn't want to extend this regardless)

I wonder how much of that is how screwed up the Big Ten is right now with their TV deals. You talk about a complete clusterf***.
stever20

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board