It's time to review Xavier

The home for Big East hoops

Re: It's time to review Xavier

Postby Nukem2 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:02 am

Jasper67 wrote:
Nukem2 wrote:Would Nunge actually get a 7th season to utilize the covid exception? Would certainly need a waiver and a 7th season would also certainly be new ground for the NCAA. Seems doubtful?

Why not? Just because he’s 47 years old?

Yeah, he sure looks it!
Nukem2

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:05 am

Maybe a positive sign on Nunge that Edwards is in the portal?
Wizard of Westroads

Postby xufan02 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:31 pm

[quote="OmahaGuy"]Helluva first season back at Xavier for Sean Miller and the Musketeers! Let's review

OUT:
*Adam Kunkel
*Souley Boum

STAY:
*Jerome Hunter
*Zach Freemantle
*Jack Nunge
*Colby Jones
*Desmond Claude

IN:
*Kachi Nzeh
*Dailyn Swain
*Reid Ducharme
*Trey Green

My 0.02:
*Loved this season for Xavier. Far from perfect but this program has already made huge strides with Sean Miller back at the helm in Cincinnati. They'll definitely miss Boum but they got an excellent class coming in! Future is bright for the X-Men![/
quote]
You missed Kam Craft who is likely to stay. Word is Nunge and Colby Jones are the final two that will not be returning.
Last edited by xufan02 on Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xufan02

Postby XUFan09 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:57 pm

Wizard of Westroads wrote:Maybe a positive sign on Nunge that Edwards is in the portal?

Edwards just hasn't shown a bit of Big East starter material. If he had come back, I imagine he would have improved some to at least be a better bench player, but "transfer to be named later" will probably be a better option in the starting lineup, even if both Nunge and Freemantle don't come back. Basically, Edwards transferring indicates nothing about Nunge.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby xusandy » Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:40 pm

Huh? The Sporting News "way too early" top 25 predictions for next season include UConn at #1, Marquette at #5, Creighton at #8, and X at #25. I get UConn, Marquette, and maybe Creighton (lotsa fine players returning at those programs), and hey, 3 top 10 teams! But to pick X in the top 25 with very possibly just one guy (Desmond Claude) who got any significant playing time coming back??? Either Coach Miller is viewed as a super genius with a dynamite recruiting class coming in, or this is a "who's left that I haven't picked yet" guess based on every X player who's still eligible coming back.
xusandy

Postby xufan02 » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:50 pm

Xavier is likely returning Zach Freemantle, Jerome Hunter, Desmond Claude and Kam Craft.

They are bring in a top 15 recruiting class, and are rumored to be landing Kerr Kriisa and Graham Ike both top 20 guys within the portal.

Kriisa was a starting pg for a top 5 team the last two seasons and Graham Ike was the preseason Mountain West POY prior to entering the portal.
xufan02

Postby Savannah Jay » Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:50 am

xufan02 wrote:Xavier is likely returning Zach Freemantle, Jerome Hunter, Desmond Claude and Kam Craft.

They are bring in a top 15 recruiting class, and are rumored to be landing Kerr Kriisa and Graham Ike both top 20 guys within the portal.

Kriisa was a starting pg for a top 5 team the last two seasons and Graham Ike was the preseason Mountain West POY prior to entering the portal.

When I saw Kriisa vs Creighton Maui, I saw he had "Kerr" on the back of his jersey and wore Steve Kerr's number and thought maybe it was Arizona's way of honoring Kerr. Apparently, it's the kid honoring Kerr, whom he was named after, so he put his first name on his jersey instead of his last and chose Kerr's number.
Savannah Jay

Postby Jet915 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:16 pm

Jones will forego eligibility and go to NBA draft.
Jet915

Postby Jasper67 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:35 pm

xusandy wrote:Huh? The Sporting News "way too early" top 25 predictions for next season include UConn at #1, Marquette at #5, Creighton at #8, and X at #25. I get UConn, Marquette, and maybe Creighton (lotsa fine players returning at those programs), and hey, 3 top 10 teams! But to pick X in the top 25 with very possibly just one guy (Desmond Claude) who got any significant playing time coming back??? Either Coach Miller is viewed as a super genius with a dynamite recruiting class coming in, or this is a "who's left that I haven't picked yet" guess based on every X player who's still eligible coming back.

I agree, but I also have a hard time understanding UConn at #1. Sanogo and Hawkins are expected to announce for the NBA draft. Those are their top 2 scorers and Sanogo is their best rebounder. Hawkins, in particular, will be almost impossible to replace. Joey Calcaterra, who played 14 mpg and has been the team’s best 3-point shooter (44%), will also be gone as he’s used up his eligibility.

I realize that these are “way too early” predictions and that Sanogo and Hawkins haven’t formally announced yet, but unless something changes radically, this will not be the team to beat next year. In fact, they weren’t even the team to beat in the Big East this year.
Last edited by Jasper67 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper67

Postby OmahaGuy » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:49 pm

xufan02 wrote:
OmahaGuy wrote:Helluva first season back at Xavier for Sean Miller and the Musketeers! Let's review

OUT:
*Adam Kunkel
*Souley Boum

STAY:
*Jerome Hunter
*Zach Freemantle
*Jack Nunge
*Colby Jones
*Desmond Claude

IN:
*Kachi Nzeh
*Dailyn Swain
*Reid Ducharme
*Trey Green

My 0.02:
*Loved this season for Xavier. Far from perfect but this program has already made huge strides with Sean Miller back at the helm in Cincinnati. They'll definitely miss Boum but they got an excellent class coming in! Future is bright for the X-Men![/
quote]
You missed Kam Craft who is likely to stay. Word is Nunge and Colby Jones are the final two that will not be returning.

Craft wasn't really a significant player this year
OmahaGuy

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board