It's time to review Villanova

The home for Big East hoops

Re: It's time to review Villanova

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Wed May 31, 2023 12:42 pm

Well we certainly brought in some firepower. Bamba, Burton and Hart all big and interchangeable guards / wings. Add them with Moore and all of those guys are grown men.

The 3 big questions...
1. Can Neptune coach them all up and get that talent to gel?
2. Can Moore and Armstrong handle the PG responsibilities and be that lead guard?
3. Can Dixon still defend on switches and hit the 3 with increased usage? We need to pull those giants--Kalk and Clingan--out of the lane and allow the others open space to drive to the hoop.

I'm getting excited... Gonna be a lot of fun again (hopefully).
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby OmahaGuy » Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:39 pm

POST-DEADLINE UPDATE:
Kyle and the Cats have had a good offseason. Really like their transfer portal additions in Burton, Hart, Bamba and Ware. Burton was very highly-touted when he hit the portal and was a very good player at Richmond. He'll need to get adjusted to playing in the Big East though. Hart and Bamba were key players on power conference teams at Maryland and Washington State, respectively. Ware didn't play much at Kentucky. But if Calipari wanted you at one point, you've gotta be pretty damn good. Not to mention Neptune got great players like Moore and Dixon to stick around. Armstrong also had a good freshman season. Future is looking good for the Wildcats. Now, the real question is, can Neptune coach them up and get them to mesh. Last year wasn't very encouraging, but he certainly could turn it around!
OmahaGuy

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:41 am

OmahaGuy wrote:Now, the real question is, can Neptune coach them up and get them to mesh. Last year wasn't very encouraging, but he certainly could turn it around!

With a 60% Moore he went into X and won and also beat your Jays. I agree that it is a prove it year for him but it’s not like he was a complete disaster last year.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:05 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
OmahaGuy wrote:Now, the real question is, can Neptune coach them up and get them to mesh. Last year wasn't very encouraging, but he certainly could turn it around!

With a 60% Moore he went into X and won and also beat your Jays. I agree that it is a prove it year for him but it’s not like he was a complete disaster last year.

I'm not down on Neptune at all. His team looked well coached, typical Nova team. The injuries hurt obviously, and I thought he gave too much leash to Whitmore. He was obviously the most talented player on the team, but I think Jay would have reined him in on shot selection and defensive breakdowns. Seemed like maybe Neptune lacked the confidence as an HC to do that to a lottery pick.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:21 pm

Wizard of Westroads wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:

I'm not down on Neptune at all. His team looked well coached, typical Nova team. The injuries hurt obviously, and I thought he gave too much leash to Whitmore. He was obviously the most talented player on the team, but I think Jay would have reined him in on shot selection and defensive breakdowns. Seemed like maybe Neptune lacked the confidence as an HC to do that to a lottery pick.

WoW, I agree. Good insight. Whit’s gonna be a stud in the pros but he was just a kid last year (18; young for his grade). He played like a kid used to using his athleticism to dominate instead of a good / fundamental BB player.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board