It's time to review Seton Hall

The home for Big East hoops

Postby OmahaGuy » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:19 pm

SHU showed some signs of promise this year under new head coach Shaheen Holloway but MAN that ending to the season was very ugly. Anyway, let's review!

OUT:
*Jamir Harris
*KC Ndefo
*Tray Jackson (portal to Michigan)
*Tyrese Samuel (portal to Florida)
*Femi Odukale (portal to New Mexico State)
*Alexis Yetna (portal to Fairfield)
*Tae Davis (portal to Notre Dame)

STAY:
*Al-Amir Dawes
*Kadary Richmond
*Dre Davis

IN:
*Dylan Addae-Wusu (Transfer from St John's)
*Elijah Hutchins-Everett (Transfer from Austin Peay)
*Jaden Bediako (Transfer from Santa Clara)
*Sada NgaNga (Transfer from Boise State)
*David Tubek
*Isaiah Coleman

My 0.02:
A very roller coaster year for the Pirates. They finish just above .500 at 17-16 and exactly at .500 at 10-10 in league play. Had some nice wins this year vs Memphis, Rutgers, UConn and a blowout win over Providence to end the regular season. But like I said above, they went out with a whimper with agonizing close losses to DePaul at the BET and to Colorado in the first round of the NIT. It'll be interesting to see who Holloway brings to SHU through the portal. Most of the guys this year are Kevin Willard leftovers. We'll see who stays and who leaves. What say you, Pirate folk? Do you trust Sha to steer the ship right eventually?

POST-DEADLINE UPDATE:
The Pirates have had a rather quiet offseason so far. Other than the addition of Dylan Addae-Wusu from St John's, the Pirates haven't really made any major splash IMO. I will say Hutchins-Everett is a decent get. He was a very good player in the Atlantic Sun at Austin Peay. He will need to prove he can be a good player in the Big East though. Same could be said for Bediako who was a solid player in the WCC and Santa Clara. Bediako can also provide veteran leadership as he'll be a 5th year senior, having spent 4 years at Santa Clara. Al-Amir Dawes and Kadary Richmond will also be key veteran leaders for this Pirate squad going into '23-24. Shaheen Holloway doesn't strike me as a great recruiter. We'll see if he can develop these guys!
Last edited by OmahaGuy on Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:44 am, edited 19 times in total.
OmahaGuy

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: It's time to review Seton Hall

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:25 am

Yetna was out injured all year. It's a shame, because his presence would have completely changed the team's dynamic. As it was, they had no true 5 which forced both Samuel and Jackson to play there instead of their native 4. While Samuel in particular gave an admirable effort, it was clear that he was playing out of position and it really showed against teams with a dominant big man.

The other main issues for Seton Hall were shooting (3s and the free throw line) and late game fatigue.

I expect the latter to be addressed as Holloway looks to add significant depth to the roster for next season. He pushes his players hard and wants to play a style that makes it tough to play 30+ minutes a night, but he simply didn't get the reserves to get the players he trusted enough rest and I believe that was directly related to the many second half meltdowns we saw this season.

I do think Holloway will get it right, but it's tough to say if that will be reflected in Ws and Ls as this league just got a lot stronger.

The top 4 aren't losing much of anything for next year.
Georgetown and St. John's are going to be much improved
Villanova won't stay down for long.

This league is going to be brutal.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby kayako » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:33 am

Hall2012 wrote:The top 4 aren't losing much of anything for next year.
Georgetown and St. John's are going to be much improved
Villanova won't stay down for long.

This league is going to be brutal.

Villanova is on the same boat as you guys. 10 conference wins should carry a lot more weight next season, but those 10 wins will be much harder to come by with Ewing and Anderson gone.
supernova
kayako

Postby OmahaGuy » Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:06 am

Tyrese Samuel is in the portal
OmahaGuy

Postby OmahaGuy » Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:28 pm

OmahaGuy wrote:Tyrese Samuel is in the portal

And he will become a Florida Gator
OmahaGuy

Postby kayako » Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:53 am

Richmond + Wusu is an interesting guard tandem.
supernova
kayako

Postby OmahaGuy » Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:04 am

Pirates land a local kid. Elijah Hutchins-Everett. Transfer from Austin Peay. Pirate fans, what do you know about this dude?
OmahaGuy

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:45 am

OmahaGuy wrote:Pirates land a local kid. Elijah Hutchins-Everett. Transfer from Austin Peay. Pirate fans, what do you know about this dude?

Hall fans have probably already read this Jerry Carlino story, but it's a good update for the rest of us:

https://www.app.com/story/sports/college/2023/04/28/seton-hall-basketball-adds-transfer-elijah-hutchins-everett/70162275007/
Wizard of Westroads

Postby OmahaGuy » Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:32 pm

POST-DEADLINE UPDATE:
The Pirates have had a rather quiet offseason so far. Other than the addition of Dylan Addae-Wusu from St John's, the Pirates haven't really made any major splash IMO. I will say Hutchins-Everett is a decent get. He was a very good player in the Atlantic Sun at Austin Peay. He will need to prove he can be a good player in the Big East though. Same could be said for Bediako who was a solid player in the WCC and Santa Clara. Bediako can also provide veteran leadership as he'll be a 5th year senior, having spent 4 years at Santa Clara. Al-Amir Dawes and Kadary Richmond will also be key veteran leaders for this Pirate squad going into '23-24. Shaheen Holloway doesn't strike me as a great recruiter. We'll see if he can develop these guys!
OmahaGuy

Postby OmahaGuy » Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:45 am

Took a long time for him to find a destination but Alexis Yetna has finally landed at Fairfield
OmahaGuy

Return to Big East basketball message board