George Mason to join Atlantic 10

The home for Big East hoops

Postby jkc_dawgs » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:00 pm

Atlantic 10 is expected to add George Mason tomorrow sometime.
"I'm not coming out" -Rotnei Clarke

Go Dawgs
jkc_dawgs

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Atlantic 10

Postby admin » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:01 pm

jkc_dawgs wrote:Atlantic 10 is expected to add George Mason tomorrow sometime.

Was just going to post that and you beat me to it.
admin
Site Admin

Re: George Mason to join Atlantic 10

Postby Eight Legger » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:10 pm

It's a reasonable addition. Relatively good program, good facility, close to GW, UR, VCU. Gives the league rivalries in Richmond, Philly and DC Metro now, which should drum up some more exposure in those key markets. If Davidson comes next, that replaces Charlotte. It will be interesting to see if there is another addition coming in time for net season or not, and if so, whether it is another eastern school or a midwestern one. That could be telling as it relates to the new Big East, in terms of whether the league assumes SLU and Dayton are gone or not.
University of Richmond, Class of '98
Eight Legger

Postby jkc_dawgs » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:18 pm

Anybody think Davidson is a possible addition? The A10 is getting raided (Butler, Xavier, Temple, UMass?, Charlotte?)
"I'm not coming out" -Rotnei Clarke

Go Dawgs
jkc_dawgs

Postby Dew » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:21 pm

You might think I'm crazy, but the A10 should look at Bradley. Good hoops history and resources. Strong crowds and an opportunity to raid the MVC.
Dew

Postby Flyer11 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:23 pm

jkc_dawgs wrote:Anybody think Davidson is a possible addition? The A10 is getting raided (Butler, Xavier, Temple, UMass?, Charlotte?)

Yeah, I think they are potential - along with Siena and Charleston (I am probably missing others as well - maybe Belmont?). It would suck for Dayton for be stuck in Dayton with the conference focusing on the East Coast.

Flyer11
Flyer11

Postby Dew » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:28 pm

Flyer11 wrote:
jkc_dawgs wrote:Anybody think Davidson is a possible addition? The A10 is getting raided (Butler, Xavier, Temple, UMass?, Charlotte?)

Yeah, I think they are potential - along with Siena and Charleston (I am probably missing others as well - maybe Belmont?). It would suck for Dayton for be stuck in Dayton with the conference focusing on the East Coast.

Flyer11

If there's any chance to keep SLU and Dayton happy if they don't join the Big East, adding a couple schools nearer them might be a good idea.
Dew

Postby MixingBowlSpider » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:04 am

Yet adding Bradley would not be enough to keep SLU and Dayton from leaving for Big East.

So A-10 would be left with Bradley as a lonely outpost with Duquesne in PIttsburgh being the closest program. I don't think that would work out well for Bradley or the A-10.
MixingBowlSpider

Postby Edrick » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:59 am

Dayton isnt going to get an invite but Saint Louis probably will at some point. Getting someone else in the west may not be the worst idea. Detroit/Valpo are probably better ideas though
Edrick

Postby BillEsq » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:15 pm

Interesting... the A-10 was rumored to be staying at 12. Adding Mason would leave one to think that at least one more of their schools is leaving... SLU, Dayton, Richmond, Mass, VCU. If they add another school i would say its probably the BE expanding to 12. If they just add one i'd say its the American 12 adding Mass.

Bradley will not go A-10. Not a good fit especially if Slu ends of leaving. All rumors have Bradley and Drake going Horizon if anywhere.
BillEsq

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board