It's time to review Georgetown

The home for Big East hoops

Postby OmahaGuy » Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:33 pm

Yikes. Georgetown just completely gave up in these last 3 games. A 20 point loss to Providence. A 40 (yes, FORTY) point loss to Creighton. Then a 32 point loss to Villanova. A fitting end to another sad season in DC. Now let's review

OUT:
*Bryson Mozone
*Jordan Riley (portal to Temple)
*Primo Spears (portal to Florida State)
*Brandon Murray (portal to Ole Miss)
*Bradley Ezewiro (portal to St Louis)
*Qudus Wahab (portal to Penn State)
*Akok Akok (portal to West Virginia)

STAY:
*Jay Heath
*Wayne Bristol

IN:
*Drew Fielder
*Drew McKenna
*Jayden Epps (Transfer from Illinois)
*Dontrez Styles (Transfer from UNC)
*Rowan Brumbaugh (Transfer from Texas)
*Isamel Massoud (Transfer from Kansas State)
*Supreme Cook (Transfer from Fairfield)

My 0.02:
*Like I said, it was another sad season for the Hoyas. 7-25 overall and 2-18 in the league (better than no league wins I guess). Assuming that's the end of the Patrick Ewing era, expect a lot of updates to what's above as several of them could be hitting the portal. It'll be interesting to see who Georgetown hires!
UPDATE: Georgetown has made it official that they have relieved Ewing of duty. My early guess is they go after Mike Brey. He's from the DC area and could use a change of scenery to get his career back on the right track after leaving Notre Dame
UPDATE II: I was very wrong about who they'd hire. I'm mixed about it. I think Ed Cooley is a very good coach and Georgetown made a good hire but making an in-league coaching move like this is.....pardon my language but it's dickish to me. You seriously couldn't hire someone else from outside the league? Hard for me to be totally happy about this hire.

POST-DEADLINE UPDATE:
Georgetown's offseason got off to a good (I'd say a weird) start because they hired a coach from within the league. But Ed Cooley is an excellent coach and he's done a very good job at retooling the Hoyas roster. He got some talented players in the portal such as Epps, Styles and Brumbaugh. The latter redshirted at Texas but was highly touted out of HS. Styles didn't play much at UNC but if UNC wanted you at one point, you've gotta be pretty damn good. Fielder and McKenna are both great additions from the HS ranks. Will the best name in the Big East (Supreme Cook!) be serviceable? He was very good at Fairfield but the Big East is a big upgrade. Ed Cooley turned around PC, no reason to think he can't do the same in DC
Last edited by OmahaGuy on Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:42 am, edited 25 times in total.
OmahaGuy

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: It's time to review Georgetown

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:32 am

Has there ever been a more disappointing development story that Q. Wahab? As a Frosh and Soph he looked like he was going to be the next in a long line of great G'town big men. Had Ewing as his mentor/coach, had the length and developing skills to be a star. As a Soph he averaged roughly 13/8 shooting about 60% from the floor. Now he splits time with other underwhelming talent and doesn't seem to possess any of the talents he displayed 2 years ago. I know he left to Maryland for a year, but this is indicative of Ewing's personal failure at his Alma Mater. The game has changed but Patrick hasn't and even moulding a talented big into his own style of BB has been a failure.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:58 am

Ewing should be relieved in the coming days, IMO. I'd expect an announcement by Monday. Sounds like that is the way the wind is blowing.

Georgetown can return relatively quick IMO with the right hire. Marquette did it with Smart. Xavier did it with Miller. They just need to cut direct ties to the Thompson legacy and cease making the basketball program a family business (not unlike what the DePaul athletic department had been doing several years ago).
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Husky_U » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:11 am

Hire Pitino the second Iona is eliminated from post-season play.
Husky_U

Postby XUBison » Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:12 pm

Husky_U wrote:Hire Pitino the second Iona is eliminated from post-season play.

On that campus, in that city? I can just see the protests on campus now, and the negative press…No way that’s happening. He’s a better fit at St. John’s.
XUBison

Postby stever20 » Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:54 pm

Per Rothstein Hoyas have parted ways with Ewing.
stever20

Postby Jasper67 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:01 am

It won’t be as easy to turn Georgetown around as people think. Academics while always good at Georgetown, have gone off the charts at Georgetown. The only school with comparable academics to maintain its athletic success has been Duke. And that was with a very special coach who established himself there decades ago.
Jasper67

Postby MullinMayhem » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:27 am

GTown & Pitino were linked for a long time. However, the rumor is that Pitino isn't only in it for $$$ at this point and would prefer not to uproot the family which is all in the NYC metro area. He loves the Winged Foot Golf Club just North of the city and he would still be able to get there easily from St. John's. He was born in NYC, raised on LI. The guy loves New York...the culture, the food, and this is where his roots and family are. I heard he only wanted NYC area or possibly somewhere in Florida. At this point it seems like it's down to SJ and UCF for Pitino. Praying he chooses us. Again, UCF can prob offer tons of money, but we are the only program that can give him a lot (even if we can't match GT/UCF) while also staying home & he already has property in the area so he wouldn't have to move.

As for GT the program, I hope they make a comeback at least be relevant every few years at the top 25 ish level. Think of what a ranked SJ and ranked GT matchup could do ratings wise on FOX and for MSG. I think it's more important for SJ to get Pitino than GT at this stage. GT is easier to fix with any good coach. We need a GREAT coach due to awful facilities and being asleep most of past 20-25 yrs. GT has been much more relevant much more recently than us.
MullinMayhem

Postby Burrito » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:35 pm

A couple of freshmen have already put their names in the Portal (Anglin and Bass).
Burrito

Postby stever20 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:36 pm

from Betonline odds on next Hoya's coach.....
Pitino 1/2
Brey 5/1
Schrewsberry 6/1
Cooley 8/1
Keatts 8/1
English 14/1
Boynton 14/1
Pitino Jr 16/1
Underwood 18/1
McCasland 20/1
Langel 20/1
Jones 20/1