It's time to review Georgetown

The home for Big East hoops

Re: It's time to review Georgetown

Postby EMT » Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:58 am

DeadHeadHoya wrote:I’ve seen some truly disgusting things from PC fans online (mostly Twitter)

I get being mad at Cooley but I personally think it’s a low blow to throw the man’s family under the bus for making a business decision

Sorry …I like PC . ALWAYS have . Respect the fanbase and program and the overall city of Providence

I hope english gets the friars rolling like they were under cooley

Sorry for the last comment

My last comment on this subject because the KE era is upon us.

Cooley did not make a business decision, he made a personal decision.

Watch this: https://www.abc6.com/one-on-one-with-former-pc-friars-coach-ed-cooley/

Cooley slips up and says "my daughter lives down here, my family was moving down here." His wife was leaving Rhode Island, with him or without him.
EMT

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DeadHeadHoya » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:05 am

Taking a new job sounds like a business decision…but whatever
DeadHeadHoya

Postby DudeAnon » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:19 am

Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Nukem2 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:45 am

DudeAnon wrote:Cooley interview with Fanta

https://twitter.com/John_Fanta/status/1 ... 2767129600

Excellent interview.
Nukem2

Postby Jasper67 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:35 pm

“I thought long and hard about this.” But the decision was made in 72 hours???
Jasper67

Postby DeadHeadHoya » Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:46 am

Ewing was going to get fired at the end of the year everyone knew this. Cooley was georgetowns number 1 pick . It was in the media for a while. Why is everyone so surprised ?

If I was English I’d be pissed your AD is still wasting his time arguing about something being “unfair”. Georgetowns job is look out for Georgetown and make the hire that makes them the best version they can be . Not to look out for PC, a team that has BEAT GEORGETOWNS ASS for the better part of 8 years

New days are ahead . Go Hoyas
DeadHeadHoya

Postby EMT » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:35 am

DeadHeadHoya wrote:Ewing was going to get fired at the end of the year everyone knew this. Cooley was georgetowns number 1 pick . It was in the media for a while. Why is everyone so surprised ?

If I was English I’d be pissed your AD is still wasting his time arguing about something being “unfair”. Georgetowns job is look out for Georgetown and make the hire that makes them the best version they can be . Not to look out for PC, a team that has BEAT GEORGETOWNS ASS for the better part of 8 years

New days are ahead . Go Hoyas

He answered a direct media question honestly. It won't be addressed going forward.

Everyone knows that PC directly approached Cooley about the GT rumors throughout March and he consistently waved them off as hearsay.
EMT

Postby billyjack » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:06 am

This will be my last comment too, and these are repeat thoughts discussed basically 50,000 times and teams like X, Marquette, etc, are probably soooo sick of hearing this, but i will torture you with this just to put it out there one final time...

Friar fans who are my age (54) or older hold these thoughts (i realize that they may sound insane to non-PC fans, but much of the additional anger originates from here):

1. We are old enough to remember when Georgetown was an upstart program. Post WW2 the program stunk. (And by contrast, PC was the only National Power in New England from like 1958 onward).

2. John Thompson is a *Friar* alum as we know cuz it's been repeated a million times. So a Friar built the Hoyas.

3. The Hoyas didn't win an NCAA game in the 70's (0-3). First two losses were outside the northeast. One they were sent out to Tempe to play Arizona.

4. Gavitt, i would guess, because of his influence (selected as boycotted 1980 Olympic coach) placed Georgetown in Providence in NCAA's of 79 (loss to Rutgers) and again in 80 (win vs Iona), undoubtedly to help the Hoyas playing in front of a super friendly Friar crowd. You're welcome.

5. Creation of Big East, blah blah, Gavitt made sure that Thompson was included, yadd yadda. Looked out for eastern indies who were being stalked by psycho ACC and power conferences (they were reducing amount of indy bids, etc, blah blah).

6. Membership in BE allowed Hoyas to get Ewing from way up north in Boston. Without BE and Gavitt, chances of Ewing to GU were much lower.

7. The 6 items above give Friar fans the sense that PC went way way above and beyond, using our enormous clout via our National Program and HOF coach, to benefit Georgetown tremendously... and to put our own program at a disadvantage.

continued thoughts... many of these repeated a thousand times...

8. The BE, again, was built by PC... our guy designed it, built it, and had to convince the other main 3 schools to go along with it... to the point where it wouldn' have happened unless Gavitt stepped down as coach to become the commissioner... i mean, geez, we lose our HOF coach in order to get this insanely great BE idea to go forward... geez... like, we saved a bunch of schools that didn't understand the threat that was enveloping all of us, and we lost our coach in order to save them.

9. Our former coach took care of all 7 and 8 original members... like he made sure that each school each year was featured on the Monday BE game of the week. He couldve pumped up PC over the top, but he put us all together as equals. Again the Friars being fair to all.

10. Gavitt placing himself on the selection committee to make sure BE schools wouldn't get hosed (after 81 BET winner Syracuse was snubbed).

So again, i realize this may seem like ancient history. But to a 54 year old, this seems like yesterday.

And so again, for Georgetown to screw with PC this year-- older Friars see the Hoyas as ingrates (DeGoia: "Duhhh, Hoyas gotta look out faw Georgetown, not PC, duuhhh"), who, without Providence, would have been toiling in a Colonial-type conference for the last 44 years with James Madison, American U, and William & Mary.

Finally, again, i understand if our anger and these points above sound insane, but they are part of the Friar psyche. The Hoyas could at least not f-ck with us, you know, don't be assholes.

(Also, older Friar fans are eternally grateful to Holy Cross, whose alum Joe Mullaney built our program in the late 50's. Again, might sound insane... was a big reason most likely why we extended The Cross an invitation originally, blah blah).

Ok, now off to the Kim English era. At this point i'm tired of talking about Cooley. By the way, how much would you guys pay me for my 2 season tix next year to the Georgetown game?, lol.

P.S. regarding the claim that PC targeted John Thompson in 1987 or something. I *do* remember vague stories about it, but dont remember it having any legs. Our AD was Friar-alum hockey player and future NJ Devils coach and Stanley Cup building GM Lou Lamoriello (the brains behind Hockey East-- you're welcome BC, BU, UNH, Maine, etc)... supposedly he had a locker next to Thompson in 1964 era... not sure how this possible cuz hoops played at Alumni Hall on PC campus, while hockey played on North Main Street at R.I. Auditorium a couple of miles away, but whatever.
Providence
billyjack

Postby DanofXav76 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:01 pm

billyjack wrote:This will be my last comment too, and these are repeat thoughts discussed basically 50,000 times and teams like X, Marquette, etc, are probably soooo sick of hearing this, but i will torture you with this just to put it out there one final time...

Friar fans who are my age (54) or older hold these thoughts (i realize that they may sound insane to non-PC fans, but much of the additional anger originates from here):

1. We are old enough to remember when Georgetown was an upstart program. Post WW2 the program stunk. (And by contrast, PC was the only National Power in New England from like 1958 onward).

2. John Thompson is a *Friar* alum as we know cuz it's been repeated a million times. So a Friar built the Hoyas.

3. The Hoyas didn't win an NCAA game in the 70's (0-3). First two losses were outside the northeast. One they were sent out to Tempe to play Arizona.

4. Gavitt, i would guess, because of his influence (selected as boycotted 1980 Olympic coach) placed Georgetown in Providence in NCAA's of 79 (loss to Rutgers) and again in 80 (win vs Iona), undoubtedly to help the Hoyas playing in front of a super friendly Friar crowd. You're welcome.

5. Creation of Big East, blah blah, Gavitt made sure that Thompson was included, yadd yadda. Looked out for eastern indies who were being stalked by psycho ACC and power conferences (they were reducing amount of indy bids, etc, blah blah).

6. Membership in BE allowed Hoyas to get Ewing from way up north in Boston. Without BE and Gavitt, chances of Ewing to GU were much lower.

7. The 6 items above give Friar fans the sense that PC went way way above and beyond, using our enormous clout via our National Program and HOF coach, to benefit Georgetown tremendously... and to put our own program at a disadvantage.

continued thoughts... many of these repeated a thousand times...

8. The BE, again, was built by PC... our guy designed it, built it, and had to convince the other main 3 schools to go along with it... to the point where it wouldn' have happened unless Gavitt stepped down as coach to become the commissioner... i mean, geez, we lose our HOF coach in order to get this insanely great BE idea to go forward... geez... like, we saved a bunch of schools that didn't understand the threat that was enveloping all of us, and we lost our coach in order to save them.

9. Our former coach took care of all 7 and 8 original members... like he made sure that each school each year was featured on the Monday BE game of the week. He couldve pumped up PC over the top, but he put us all together as equals. Again the Friars being fair to all.

10. Gavitt placing himself on the selection committee to make sure BE schools wouldn't get hosed (after 81 BET winner Syracuse was snubbed).

So again, i realize this may seem like ancient history. But to a 54 year old, this seems like yesterday.

And so again, for Georgetown to screw with PC this year-- older Friars see the Hoyas as ingrates (DeGoia: "Duhhh, Hoyas gotta look out faw Georgetown, not PC, duuhhh"), who, without Providence, would have been toiling in a Colonial-type conference for the last 44 years with James Madison, American U, and William & Mary.

Finally, again, i understand if our anger and these points above sound insane, but they are part of the Friar psyche. The Hoyas could at least not f-ck with us, you know, don't be assholes.

(Also, older Friar fans are eternally grateful to Holy Cross, whose alum Joe Mullaney built our program in the late 50's. Again, might sound insane... was a big reason most likely why we extended The Cross an invitation originally, blah blah).

Ok, now off to the Kim English era. At this point i'm tired of talking about Cooley. By the way, how much would you guys pay me for my 2 season tix next year to the Georgetown game?, lol.

P.S. regarding the claim that PC targeted John Thompson in 1987 or something. I *do* remember vague stories about it, but dont remember it having any legs. Our AD was Friar-alum hockey player and future NJ Devils coach and Stanley Cup building GM Lou Lamoriello (the brains behind Hockey East-- you're welcome BC, BU, UNH, Maine, etc)... supposedly he had a locker next to Thompson in 1964 era... not sure how this possible cuz hoops played at Alumni Hall on PC campus, while hockey played on North Main Street at R.I. Auditorium a couple of miles away, but whatever.

Billy, As a born and bred Xavier midwesterner, so appreciate the history lesson ( just a little of whcih I previosuly knew) and the subsequent Friar state of mind about this whole deal. It sure gives a very interested, but neutral observer, a lot better understanding on what the heck is going on here. Truly hoping the English hire works out for PC and their loyal fanbase.
DanofXav76

Postby billyjack » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:07 pm

Thanks Dan, and good luck tonight!!
I feel like i bore you guys with the same stories, so thanks for the feedback brother.
Providence
billyjack

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board