Ben Howland

The home for Big East hoops

Ben Howland

Postby marquette » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:29 am

So, if Howland is fired from UCLA as is the popular opinion, would anyone here want their school to pick him up? Personally I'd like to see him go to DePaul, mostly for the sake of a better rivalry between us. Could also help the conference if the team in our second biggest market gets on an upswing.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Ben Howland

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Ben Howland

Postby sandw04 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:13 am

marquette wrote:So, if Howland is fired from UCLA as is the popular opinion, would anyone here want their school to pick him up? Personally I'd like to see him go to DePaul, mostly for the sake of a better rivalry between us. Could also help the conference if the team in our second biggest market gets on an upswing.

Purnell still has 4 years left on his contract. DePaul needs some changes, but its not likely anything too drastic will happen in the next 2 years. As a decades-long DePaul fan and alum, I'd love to see more meaning in the Marquette-DePaul rivalry. I had a nice feeling seeing "Al" on the front of the Marquette jersey's in last night's game. Games with Meyer and McGuire were really great shows.
sandw04

Postby TheDon » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:08 pm

VCU is screwed if Shaka leaves.
TheDon

Postby yorost » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:14 pm

I really hope he doesn't, assuming he is happy there. Nice to see a coach stick it out with a program he's building. Even if he leaves, eventually, the longer he stays the easier it will be on their program to transition.
yorost

Postby Burrito » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:09 pm

In 10 years at UCLA, Howland had 3 Final Fours appearances and the Bruins won the PAC12 5 times. Yet he was still fired. Who would want to walk into that? The expectations seem a bit unrealistic.
Burrito

Postby jkc_dawgs » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:17 pm

Burrito wrote:In 10 years at UCLA, Howland had 3 Final Fours appearances and the Bruins won the PAC12 5 times. Yet he was still fired. Who would want to walk into that? The expectations seem a bit unrealistic.

2009: Lost second round
2010: Didn't make tourney
2011: Lost second round
2012: Didn't make tourney
2013: Lost first round
"I'm not coming out" -Rotnei Clarke

Go Dawgs
jkc_dawgs

Postby jkc_dawgs » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:53 pm

Andy Katz ‏@ESPNAndyKatz 1m
UCLA now officially releases that Ben Howland has been relieved of his duties.
"I'm not coming out" -Rotnei Clarke

Go Dawgs
jkc_dawgs

Postby IbleedVCU » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:03 pm

VCU is screwed if Shaka leaves.

VCU has a system in place to hire assistant coaches and turn them into head coaches. Before Shaka, VCU had Anthony Grant. Before Grant, VCU had Capel. Both moved on to "higher" profile jobs and both have struggled after leaving VCU. We aren't one coach and have been winning with different coaches for a long time.
IbleedVCU

Postby yorost » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:37 pm

Yeah, tough to say VCU would be screwed. Coaching changes are just uncertain periods, they can unexpectedly work out for the better, too. You never know, but I don't think this would turn into a positive for VCU. Hopefully he just sits tight.

I do wonder if Buzz would take the UCLA job. He's been getting talked about, too, and unlike with Smart, Stevens, or Wright the talking heads seem to assume he wouldn't even hesitate to jump from Marquette.
yorost

Postby BillikensWin » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:15 pm

We've discussed Howland on the SLU boards. I'd be for it.
Saint Louis University: Proud Members of the Big Atlantic Valley Conference
BillikensWin

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board