It's 2023. What have we learned?

The home for Big East hoops

Postby Xuperman » Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:48 am

UConn, CU, XU, PC clearly have the horses! MU and Nova will definitely challenge, but either clearing those 4 is a tall task.

Does it come down to coaching? I think it does. If that is the case, Dan Hurley should become a frequent point of discussion here. Regardless of the outcome, and correct me if I'm wrong, but how does this "whinny bitch" routine positively benefit the Huskies in any way? The refs have to be seriously annoyed, plus do y'all think his players are on board with these ridiculous antics?

When compared to McD, Coach Cool, Miller and Smart it's somewhat embarrassing IMO. Not only that, the even disposition of the aforementioned would tend to yield a more positive result, no?

This thing looks like an epic slugfest at the top is happening man, and X is certainly a going to wallow in the sweat, snot and blood that factors into the outcome. Coaching will be the difference....COY Sean Miller gets X another banner.
Wisdom is what you get 5 seconds after you needed it.
Xuperman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: It's 2023. What have we learned?

Postby MUBoxer » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:45 am

I'm not sure there's any applied logic here. You listed 6 teams,

currently MU is 2-1 against said group with the 1 being in 2x OT @PC.

Putting CU in that top tier means that you value wins against SHU, Butler and Depaul enough to say "they're back" but they haven't beaten anybody yet to prove it.

With XU you have a legit argument, they beat UConn but that's the only upper echelon game they've played thus far.

Nova right now is on the outside looking in and we assume will challenge because of Moore but they've lost to MU and UConn in their only challenging BE games thus far so what proof do you have to put them up there other than assumptions? Kyle Neptune is still new and fairly unproven, does Moore bring enough to really boost a .500 team to the next level? Whitmore didn't.

PC is also a legitimate argument, they've wins over MU (again in 2x OT @home) and against UConn, how do they fair though away from home when the whistle isn't friendly? IN both of those they had insane free throw disparities. Do they draw these friendly whistles away from the former dunk? I'd say the jury is still out.

Honestly this post reads like fanboy stuff rather than analysis. I think XU is the team to beat but everything else the jury is still out on.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby anXUfan » Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:47 pm

Have to consider Marquette in the top tier thus far.
anXUfan

Postby Jasper67 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:02 pm

Agree with your analysis Xuperman. Also agree with the others that Marquette belongs In the top tier of those who will battle each other for the conference championship. I believe that Seton Hall in addition to Nova has the talent to make some noise. Both of these 2 have new young coaches, so it will be interesting to see how they adapt to the league.

One thing I’ve learned this week after UConn’s two losses, is that this thing is wide open this year.
Jasper67

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:16 am

Things I know:
1. Never doubt Big Ed
2. Miller and Motta were fantastic hires for X and Butler.
3. Shaka was a fantastic hire last year.

Things I suspect:
1. Hurley is never going to be an elite coach.
2. Mike Anderson is never going to win enough to make Johnnies fans happy.
3. Stubbs will keep DePaul competitive this year, in spite of injuries.
4. Patrick will be gone by Valentine's Day.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby Xuperman » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:21 am

MUBoxer wrote:I'm not sure there's any applied logic here. You listed 6 teams,

Putting CU in that top tier means that you value wins against SHU, Butler and Depaul enough to say "they're back" but they haven't beaten anybody yet to prove it.

With XU you have a legit argument, they beat UConn but that's the only upper echelon game they've played thus far.

Nova right now is on the outside looking in and we assume will challenge because of Moore but they've lost to MU and UConn in their only challenging BE games thus far so what proof do you have to put them up there other than assumptions? Kyle Neptune is still new and fairly unproven, does Moore bring enough to really boost a .500 team to the next level? Whitmore didn't.

PC is also a legitimate argument, they've wins over MU (again in 2x OT @home) and against UConn, how do they fair though away from home when the whistle isn't friendly? IN both of those they had insane free throw disparities. Do they draw these friendly whistles away from the former dunk? I'd say the jury is still out.

Honestly this post reads like fanboy stuff rather than analysis. I think XU is the team to beat but everything else the jury is still out on.

That's a bit weird Boxer. "Applied logic"? Have you been asleep for the last few days? Your Creighton comment is just ignorant. "Logically" a healthy Kalkbrenner moves the needle JUST A TAD and apparently Cam Whitmore doesn't impress you.

Now using the word "fanboy" in response to my post gives me a sense you're agitated. That would more accurately describe you if you're thinking Marquette will end up on top of this thing. Logical odds would be around 10-1.

Look, my intent was to focus on the coaching dynamics and the fact that with the roster talent at the top in close parity, coaching will decide this thing IMO.

No "Logic"...just fact. WIth GQJ gone, Sean Miller is the most accomplished and effective HC, by any metric, in this league and that could play.out in a big way.
Sincerely,
Fanboy Xup.
Xuperman

Postby Xuperman » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:43 am

Jasper67 wrote:Agree with your analysis Xuperman. Also agree with the others that Marquette belongs In the top tier of those who will battle each other for the conference championship. I believe that Seton Hall in addition to Nova has the talent to make some noise. Both of these 2 have new young coaches, so it will be interesting to see how they adapt to the league.

One thing I’ve learned this week after UConn’s two losses, is that this thing is wide open this year.

Here's the thing Jasper, the Huskies got a big time wake up call in 6 days. I have NO DOUBT that this is is going to benefit them beyond measure on the road going forward....the 11th will speak volumes.

Look, the chances of anyone beating them in Storrs is unlikely. If they stumble Saturday into losing 3 straight, things get really confused and Hurley takes more heat. Over/under for them at 15-5.
Xuperman

Postby Jasper67 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:53 am

Xuperman wrote:
Jasper67 wrote:Agree with your analysis Xuperman. Also agree with the others that Marquette belongs In the top tier of those who will battle each other for the conference championship. I believe that Seton Hall in addition to Nova has the talent to make some noise. Both of these 2 have new young coaches, so it will be interesting to see how they adapt to the league.

Here's the thing Jasper, the Huskies got a big time wake up call in 6 days. I have NO DOUBT that this is is going to benefit them beyond measure on the road going forward....the 11th will speak volumes.

Look, the chances of anyone beating them in Storrs is unlikely. If they stumble Saturday into losing 3 straight, things get really confused and Hurley takes more heat. Over/under for them at 15-5.

Hurley has done an excellent job rebuilding the UConn program, but he is a disaster on the bench. His T in their game with Xavier with 2 minutes to go in a 3 point game put his players in a hole they couldn’t climb out of and the decision to hoist up 3’s from then on failed big time. He’s not the guy I want managing a team in a close game. So, if this thing comes down to coaching, UConn’s in trouble.

This is a league of great coaches, so many of whom are doing a superb job this year. A tip of the hat to Shaka who is doing more with less at Marquette.
Jasper67

Postby MUBoxer » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:07 pm

Xuperman wrote:
MUBoxer wrote:I'm not sure there's any applied logic here. You listed 6 teams,

That's a bit weird Boxer. "Applied logic"? Have you been asleep for the last few days? Your Creighton comment is just ignorant. "Logically" a healthy Kalkbrenner moves the needle JUST A TAD and apparently Cam Whitmore doesn't impress you.

Now using the word "fanboy" in response to my post gives me a sense you're agitated. That would more accurately describe you if you're thinking Marquette will end up on top of this thing. Logical odds would be around 10-1.

Look, my intent was to focus on the coaching dynamics and the fact that with the roster talent at the top in close parity, coaching will decide this thing IMO.

No "Logic"...just fact. WIth GQJ gone, Sean Miller is the most accomplished and effective HC, by any metric, in this league and that could play.out in a big way.
Sincerely,
Fanboy Xup.

Yes, I have been getting my 8 hours of sleep a night I appreciate your concern. Yes, if you make sweeping declarations you should have applied logic to defend them and again there's no logic to the tiers you listed other than fanboy idealism.

Blind records of the top 6 you listed against each other (none have slipped against lower teams so irrelevant to discussion):

2-1
0-1
1-2
2-0
0-2
1-0

Rank based on that and compare to your tiers.

As far as Whitmore not impressing, he's a great great player, he was also not enough to get them over the hump against MU or UConn. I'm less impressed by Neptune than anything and don't think Moore coming back changes that.

As far as Kalkbrenner goes right now it's "theoretically" there's zero proof that Creighton can compete with the top tier so they don't belong in that top tier till we see Saturday. Yes, I think they'll be much better but it's also entirely possible that he's lost a crap ton of muscle and endurance and gets worked by the top tier so again it's theoretical not logical that his come back bumps them to the top.

I don't think MU will end up atop this thing, I think we end up 4th in the BE. But given you were basing this off of "what we have learned" well there's no reason to put some of the teams you have ahead of MU.

As far as Miller being the most accomplished by any metric that would be false Matta has a .737 winning percentage to Miller's .725. Matta has more tournament success, 1 more A-10 championship, an equal amount of power conference reg season championships, and 1 more power conference tournament championships. equal amount of A 10 coach of the year, equal amount of power conference coach of the year. So that's an awful lot of metrics disproving your "just fact Sean Miller is the most accomplished and effective HC, by any metric" I'd maybe consider revising that to "of the contenders..." lol

Until this Saturday when we see a lot more of the top tier teams play each other this post was pointless.

BTWs you didn't respond to the Providence point I made and I anxiously await the defence of that because the likelihood of 39-19 and 49-19 free throw disparities away from home is very low.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby pki1998 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:07 pm

It’s a little early for anyone to start pounding their chest right now. I’ve haven’t seen enough of all the teams yet but here are my thoughts

X - Sean Miller is the antidote for the Travis Steele Era. The team is looking good, but there is no depth. A major injury to Boun, Jones, Hunter, Freemantle ot Nudge dooms this team

UConn - Lots of talent and Hurley has done a great job resurection the program. But he needs to concentrate on coaching his players vs arguing with the refs.

Providence - I decided a long time ago to never sleep on an Ed Cooley team. Nothing changes, Providence is one of the teams to beat in the Big East.

Nova - Replacing a legend like Jay is damn near impossible. Neptune is a good coach but I think it’s next year before we see how good he is. Still Nova is still going to be a tough game for everyone. I just hope that Xavier can break through whatever vodoo Nova has had on them.

St. John’s - I don’t get the lake of respect for Anderson I think he’s a good coach and has done a lot for St. John. Don’t think they are a tournament team this year but a solid NiT team

Georgetown - I never thought i see the day that Georgetown was the anchor of the Big East. 25 conference game losing streak for the biggest name in the conference doesn’t seem possible. I realize Patrick is the most popular Georgetown player of all time, but something has to change. I hope he voluntarily steps down, but don’t see that happening. Even if he does it’s going to take a great coach to even get them back to mediocrity.

No disrespect to the teams I didn’t mention just haven’t seen enough of them to really have any comments
Xavier
pki1998

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board