Big Games This Weekend

The home for Big East hoops

Big Games This Weekend

Postby Jasper67 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:15 pm

Friday - Creighton @ Marguette

Can Creighton end its 5 game losing streak on the road? Can Marquette, winners of 5 of their last 6, use home court advantage to continue its rise? This game has big implications for 2 contenders
Jasper67

Big Games This Weekend

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Big Games This Weekend

Postby stever20 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:22 pm

yeah definitely think some big ones for sure. the one you mention. UConn/Butler. Seton Hall/Providence feels like a huge game for both teams early on.

And a sleeper big game is the St John's game with Florida St. FSU struggled early but beat Louisville and now got 2nd win. Leonard Hamilton I think is a really good coach. That could be a really tricky game for St John's.
stever20

Re: Big Games This Weekend

Postby Jasper67 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:28 pm

stever20 wrote:yeah definitely think some big ones for sure. the one you mention. UConn/Butler. Seton Hall/Providence feels like a huge game for both teams early on.

And a sleeper big game is the St John's game with Florida St. FSU struggled early but beat Louisville and now got 2nd win. Leonard Hamilton I think is a really good coach. That could be a really tricky game for St John's.

Any game involving UConn will be a big game in the BE this year, so this is an opportunity game for Butler. BU shoots the ball really well, so if they can turn this into a shootout, they have a chance. The problem for them is that they’re not very deep. All of their starters play more than 30 minutes per game and only 2 others play more than 10 minutes per game. Compare this to UConn where only 3 starters play as many as 25 minutes per game and 10 players see more than 15 minutes per game. In a game which promises the kind of intensity that this one is sure to have, it’s hard not to see Butler wearing down over a full minutes.

SH and PC are both in the outer fringes of the list of BE tournament bound teams, so I agree that this is a big game for both. It feels like an elimination game if this is even possible in December, but the winner will certainly have a leg up on the other.I think that both teams are still trying to find the right chemistry with their different pieces. The game is being played in Newark, which gives SH an edge, but if they turn the ball over and don’t hit their FTs, this could be the Friars game to steal.

I like Leonard Hamilton, but Florida State just isn’t off to a good start. The Louisville win doesn’t mean much because they too suck this year. One more weak opponent for the Red Storm so far. A win here won’t prove anything but a loss could be damaging. For the sake of the league, I hope that St. John’s wins big.
Jasper67

Return to Big East basketball message board