Sagarin or Ken Pom

The home for Big East hoops

Sagarin or Ken Pom

Postby xusandy » Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:50 am

There are dozens of computer ranking systems out there, but the only ones I ever look at are the Sagarins and the Ken Poms. I actually look at the Sagarins more often, just because the features that let me compare conference strengths and look simultaneously at all teams within any given conference are FREE there. But I have no clue as to which system is more accurate. Do any of you know if there's good data out there showing which computer models have done better in the past? Is there a lesser known model which is a better predictor?

FWIW, the Sagarins for this season indicate that the B12 and B10 are roughly equal as the top conferences overall, with the SEC and BEAST about equal but a significant step behind, and the PAC12 and ACC another step behind. In the case of the ACC, the problem seems to be that several teams (Louisville, FSU, and maybe BC despite their 5-5 record) truly suck this year. With OOC play about to wrap up, conference rankings won't change much for the rest of this season. Per current Sagarins, the BEAST has only one top 20 team (UConn), but 8 other teams with a legit shot at making the big dance. For me, the bottom line here is that in what I thought might be an off year for our conference, we're still a top 3-4 entity!!

Finally, I opposed adding UConn due to lousy "fit" (public vs. private schools, D1 football considerations, no religion/ethics focus, etc.) on this board for several years, but now I gotta say that adding back UConn has worked well for us -- at least so far! So should we consider adding 1 more, if for no other reason than to create 2 divisions with a "balanced" schedule and more OOC games for all? I love the various conference vs. conference challenges, though the B10 slaughtered us this year, and a 12 team BEAST would enable us to create a challenge against ANY conference.
xusandy

Sagarin or Ken Pom

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Sagarin or Ken Pom

Postby Husky_U » Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:24 am

Husky_U

Return to Big East basketball message board