The Dunk Is Now Sponsored By Amica Insurance

The home for Big East hoops

Postby billyjack » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:27 am

The Providence Civic Center, aka "The Dunk" for the past 20 years, will now have its naming rights with Amica Insurance.

Report: Amica to take over naming rights to Dunkin' Donuts Center:

https://pbn.com/report-amica-to-take-ov ... ts-center/

Back as a kid in the 70's, Dunkin Donuts was a solid local donut shop out of Massachusetts, no different than Mr Donut for example, haha.

Amazing to think how it is now nationwide and international. In 2016 we had a family trip which started in Iceland. We arrived in Reykjavik around 7am on a Tuesday, and everything was closed except for a Dunkin Donuts-- thought it was amazing that we arrived in this exotic remote Arctic country, and my first experience was at a place that i couldve visited in 1975 in Attleboro.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: The Dunk Is Now Sponsored By Amica Insurance

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:03 pm

Yep BJ...you're an old guy, lol. Dunkin Donuts is one of my favs down here...a taste of home. Along with Subway, Dominoes, Papa John's (new), Burger King, McD's, Coca-cola, Pepsi (new), and a few others.
Proctor & Gamble, McKesson, Johnson & JOhnson, Kellogg's, Post cereals, Quaker Oats, Dole, and others have also been here for decades. No Zest though.

So now we'll be going to "The Amica". Hmmm, Now that's going to take a while for adjustment...much like going from the Quest to the "Chico".

Progress... lol
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby billyjack » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:13 am

gtmoBlue wrote:Yep BJ...you're an old guy, lol. Dunkin Donuts is one of my favs down here...a taste of home. Along with Subway, Dominoes, Papa John's (new), Burger King, McD's, Coca-cola, Pepsi (new), and a few others.
Proctor & Gamble, McKesson, Johnson & JOhnson, Kellogg's, Post cereals, Quaker Oats, Dole, and others have also been here for decades. No Zest though.

So now we'll be going to "The Amica". Hmmm, Now that's going to take a while for adjustment...much like going from the Quest to the "Chico".

Progress... lol

Nice. I forgot that you're in Panama (i think?).

It is comforting to have familiar things available when you're far from home, even if it's Papa John's, haha, which i've never actually tried.

I don't mind Domino's, i think cuz of its usually thin crust, close to Providence-esque Neopolitan style.

Speaking of Iceland from earlier-- pulling into Reykjavik, the radio was playing "Be Faithful", commonly played during Dunk timeouts. Also, at one point we were very very remote on one of those northwestern peninsulas (my wife kept referring to it as "Snuffleufagus" EDIT: Snaefellsjokull") and nothing was around except grassland, like if our car broke down no one would drive by for weeks, at the end of the earth, and thought it was weird when with choppy reception, Chicago came on the radio with "25 or 6 to 4".

I always found it interesting where two worlds collide that you didnt expect.

Not to ramble, but tying all this together-- the inspiration for our 2016 Iceland trip was when we rented "Walter Mitty" with Ben Stiller and Kirsten Wiig, and he's in Greenland, then Iceland, and he's shocked to come across a Papa John's in a remote town. We actually went to that location, which was really a bakery on the west central coast (town of Borganes or something?)...
Providence
billyjack

Postby TBC Alum » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:46 pm

Every time I see "Amica", I think "Merica".
CU clap clap CU
TBC Alum

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:46 pm

TBC Alum wrote:Every time I see "Amica", I think "Merica".

me too...
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Nicholas Klein (1918)
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby billyjack » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:49 am

Quick update... word is that the official name will be the Amica Mutual Pavilion, and the nickname of the Dunk will now be "The AMP"... so, they'll say let's get amped up, etc.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:02 am

billyjack wrote:Quick update... word is that the official name will be the Amica Mutual Pavilion, and the nickname of the Dunk will now be "The AMP"... so, they'll say let's get amped up, etc.

ok, that's a smidge better I think.

Hope everyone having a great summer. I see the college sports madness 144 countdown is already down to 83 so the season is getting here quickly.
stever20

Return to Big East basketball message board