Kyle Neptune Named Nova coach

Postby stever20 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:39 pm

stever20

Kyle Neptune Named Nova coach

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Kyle Neptune Named Nova coach

Postby X Factor » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:28 pm

I don't anything about Kyle Neptune other than he was an assistant for Wright for something like 10 years. He might turn out to be an excellent coach, but there's going to be some bumps in the road. There's no other way to say it, Neptune's about 50 rungs lower than Jay Wright on the coaching ladder.

What is going to happen to their recruiting class with those guys thinking they were coming to play for Jay Wright?
X Factor

Postby stever20 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:00 pm

X Factor wrote:I don't anything about Kyle Neptune other than he was an assistant for Wright for something like 10 years. He might turn out to be an excellent coach, but there's going to be some bumps in the road. There's no other way to say it, Neptune's about 50 rungs lower than Jay Wright on the coaching ladder.

What is going to happen to their recruiting class with those guys thinking they were coming to play for Jay Wright?

Definitely legit questions there. And with some of the losses this year already think if it were anyone but Nova/Wright- we'd be saying they're in for a rebuilding season.
stever20

Postby zebrapoodle23 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:54 am

Anecdotally, this conference has really done an amazing job re minority hires
zebrapoodle23

Postby stever20 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:40 am

zebrapoodle23 wrote:Anecdotally, this conference has really done an amazing job re minority hires

saw somewhere that was mentioned that league now has 7 minority coaches. Think tied with AAC for most in any of the bigger conferences.
stever20

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:50 am

Villanova will be fine.

Neptune's a Mountain Hawk guy...they don't get any smarter. He is also a JW guy...tutled under the Master for
13 years. He's a recruiter as well. The Radnorites will be fine. And I don't think anyone will bolt.

Nice pickup Chesty/Gumby/Novachap/Kayako...continuity and legacy. (Seriously so.) gtmo
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Omaha1 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:17 pm

Neptune brought back some legit dudes this year and finished last in the Big 5. Is Jay Wright available to come back for a few years and right the ship?
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Vill » Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:15 am

Omaha1 wrote:Neptune brought back some legit dudes this year and finished last in the Big 5. Is Jay Wright available to come back for a few years and right the ship?

The jury is still out on Kyle, but I don't think it's fair to dismiss him or even consider doing so at this stage of his tenure.
Vill

Postby kayako » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:06 pm

Omaha1 wrote:Neptune brought back some legit dudes this year and finished last in the Big 5. Is Jay Wright available to come back for a few years and right the ship?

I want to say Neptune should be fired if Nova fails to make the tourney again, but Villanova was probably prepared to let him grow as a HC when they hired him instead of someone more proven. I don't think he's in the hot seat this season. Having said that, if Jay makes a 5 year commitment, you gotta eat Neptune's salary and pull the trigger.
supernova
kayako

Postby hoops22 » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:32 pm

One thing that's a little bit different now, with NIL being such an important component of a teams success, is the donors have more input than they used to. I'm not saying they're dictating anything to an AD, but their voice is heard a little bit louder than before. Nova was on the verge of a wholesale departure after last season, until the donors stepped up in a big, big way. Not only keeping last years guys, but adding a few big pieces as well. If Neptune fails to make the tournament this year, there are going to be a lot of unhappy donors. Should that happens, my prediction is Neptune will be gone. And if that does happen, while there's no telling who will be the next coach for Nova, it's safe to say it won't be Jay Wright.
hoops22

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board