Rick Pitino

The home for Big East hoops

Rick Pitino

Postby stever20 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:28 am

So this is kind of interesting- local station in DC reporting that Maryland is heavily pursuing Rick Pitino.

Terps get him would make the Georgetown situation that much more dire.
stever20

Rick Pitino

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Rick Pitino

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:48 am

Pitino's way of doing business combined with Under Armour's $ would make MD a formidable player. That is without a doubt one of the most fertile recruiting areas in the country. I know Nova has feasted on recruiting in NOVA/DC/MD: Hart, Bey, Ochefu, Jenkins, Moore, Whitmore, etc., etc. Duke (Roach, Keels) and UConn (Hawkins) have had a lot of success there recently as well. I mean look no further than Auburn as what is possible with a coach who knows how balance the thin line between charismatic and unscrupulous.

I have little doubt that he would have some short term success but I'm not sure I would want Ricky P. in the BE fraternity of coaches. Let MD have him.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby stever20 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:53 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Pitino's way of doing business combined with Under Armour's $ would make MD a formidable player. That is without a doubt one of the most fertile recruiting areas in the country. I know Nova has feasted on recruiting in NOVA/DC/MD: Hart, Bey, Ochefu, Jenkins, Moore, Whitmore, etc., etc. Duke (Roach, Keels) and UConn (Hawkins) have had a lot of success there recently as well. I mean look no further than Auburn as what is possible with a coach who knows how balance the thin line between charismatic and unscrupulous.

I have little doubt that he would have some short term success but I'm not sure I would want Ricky P. in the BE fraternity of coaches. Let MD have him.

He would definitely take all the oxygen in the DMV area for college basketball right now.

Maybe Maryland doing this forces Georgetown to do something with Ewing.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:56 am

One thing that this would mean though for sure is that Kevin Willard wouldn't be going to Maryland.
stever20

Postby Husky_U » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:54 am

Oof. He'll feast on DMV recruits if that happens. Pending an extraordinary hire, Georgetown likely becomes a 'Rutgers in the Big East' kind of program.
Husky_U

Postby Savannah Jay » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:25 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:I mean look no further than Auburn as what is possible with a coach who knows how balance the thin line between charismatic and unscrupulous.

If Pitino or Pearl were coaching the Jays, I'd have to find another hobby or team until they moved on.
Savannah Jay

Postby stever20 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:55 am

Pitino splashed a whole bunch of cold water on the rumor today:
The University of Maryland is one of the premier institutions of higher learning. It's basketball program can be among the nation’s best. I hope they find the next great Gary Williams. I love coaching at Iona, and I’m totally committed to my players. It will not be me.
stever20

Postby kayako » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:00 am

stever20 wrote:Pitino splashed a whole bunch of cold water on the rumor today:
The University of Maryland is one of the premier institutions of higher learning. It's basketball program can be among the nation’s best. I hope they find the next great Gary Williams. I love coaching at Iona, and I’m totally committed to my players. It will not be me.

Based on his previous comments, I think Pitino would bolt for Providence or St. John's. Never thought he'd seriously consider Maryland, which is an overrated job by the likes of Goodman.
supernova
kayako

Return to Big East basketball message board