Georgetown Ewing

The home for Big East hoops

Georgetown Ewing

Postby stever20 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:15 pm

So just saw this tweet-
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status ... 1394065408

NEWS: Georgetown rewarded Patrick Ewing with a contract extension following last season's run to the Big East Tournament title and the NCAA Tournament, according to multiple sources.

not sure if this had been known before.

Would make it seem like it'd be much harder to see Ewing gone after this year.
stever20

Georgetown Ewing

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Georgetown Ewing

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:31 pm

Without knowing terms, it'd be premature to predict whether or not Georgetown *could* terminate Ewing.

Last year, many MU fans were adamant and dismissive about whether we could fire Wojo. Eventually, donors didn't care about Wojo's contract. The school determined it was losing more money keeping Wojo than it would have to fire and replace him.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Husky_U » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:37 pm

Oof.
Husky_U

Postby XUFan09 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:39 pm

This is why in the debate between the tournament championship and the regular season championship, I take the position that the tournament championship is the real Big East championship...but there are a lot of circumstances where I'd prefer the regular season championship for my team. I'm sure Hoyas fans would have preferred to be coming off a regular season championship rather than a tournament championship last year. An extension would have made a lot more sense then.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby zebrapoodle23 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:43 pm

Saw this comment in a related reddit thread. Sort of a funny thought process

https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketb ... &context=3
zebrapoodle23

Postby ecasadoSBU » Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:44 pm

XUFan09 wrote:This is why in the debate between the tournament championship and the regular season championship, I take the position that the tournament championship is the real Big East championship...but there are a lot of circumstances where I'd prefer the regular season championship for my team. I'm sure Hoyas fans would have preferred to be coming off a regular season championship rather than a tournament championship last year. An extension would have made a lot more sense then.

It has nothing to do with regular season vs BET championship. the problem for GU isn't last year. Its what happened after the season ended that has been problematic: (1) inability to keep your players, (2) grossly under-performing by Georgetown standards, or any standard really other than probably DePaul this season.

When give a choice between BE regular season vs BET championship... most of us will choose Big East Tournament - it means more for the fans. We just love MSG and winning in a big time atmosphere like that. There is nothing like it in the NCAA

Keeping Ewing after this terrible seasin signals to the world that Georgetown is content with losing. That they no longer aspire to be a powerhouse program (like Villanova, UConn)
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby MackNova » Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:54 pm

If it were Patrick Smith instead of Patrick Ewing, and he hadn't signed an extension last year, he would be gone in a heartbeat.

However, given his status with the school, and given his contract, it's hard to know what they will do.
MackNova

Postby Jet915 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:20 pm

MackNova wrote:If it were Patrick Smith instead of Patrick Ewing, and he hadn't signed an extension last year, he would be gone in a heartbeat.

However, given his status with the school, and given his contract, it's hard to know what they will do.

Hopefully Ewing does the right thing and steps down like Mullin.
Jet915

Postby Django » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:30 pm

Jet915 wrote:
MackNova wrote:If it were Patrick Smith instead of Patrick Ewing, and he hadn't signed an extension last year, he would be gone in a heartbeat.

Good point forgot he did that. I could see Ewing doing that but the problem is the same as StJohns... nobody wants to go there now.
Django

Postby Jet915 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:47 pm

Django wrote:
Jet915 wrote:

Good point forgot he did that. I could see Ewing doing that but the problem is the same as StJohns... nobody wants to go there now.

I doubt Georgetown would do it but if they hired Pitino they would be a top 10 team by year 2.
Jet915

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board