BPI BigEast Correlation

The home for Big East hoops

BPI BigEast Correlation

Postby Marquette90 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:56 pm

Hi all, new guy here.

A regular writer and bracketologist for Cracked Sidewalks (Marquette) has found this....well, read for yourself.
https://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2022/0 ... heets.html
Marquette90

BPI BigEast Correlation

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: BPI BigEast Correlation

Postby ecasadoSBU » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:26 am

That's pretty wild. Never knew they included the obscure BPI in the official Team Sheets.

That shouldn't be the case. Makes it even worst that is owned by a media company.

But... based on recent moves by the NCAA I don't expect that to be removed. The NCAA has been trending on making the selection process as obscure and nontransparent as possible to fulfill their agenda.

The implementation of the obscure NET away from the transparent and public RPI.... and now I find out they also include the BPI... Great!

The more complex and obscure they make the process the easier it is to manipulate by major stakeholders
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby stever20 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:01 am

I think we'll have a better idea of something like this next weekend when the sweet 16 reveal takes place.

Also should know that for some of the teams in the league- the BPI is very reasonable. Villanova is #3 actually right now so if anything maybe unreasonable the other way.
stever20

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:50 pm

Cracked Sidewalks scores again. Great site. Thanks Marquette 90 for the find.

interesting read.Whether anyone at NCAA notices such a discrepancy however, is debatable.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Marquette90 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:46 pm

The author made a point of @'ing a number of writers and well known names in CBB on Twitter. It might get some attention. I'm hoping Brew finds time to go back a couple more years and see if there's a pattern.
Marquette90

Postby billyjack » Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:54 pm

Good read.

Anything hidden, especially a secret sauce at a predatory outfit like ESPN, will be corrupted.

RPI i was fine with. Occasionally it would get manipulated... so? Those teams still had to win tjeir games against solid opponents. So i can live with it, as long as the formula is out in the open.

Plus RPI made adjustments... home win only 0.6 value, etc...
Providence
billyjack

Postby billyjack » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:01 pm

Also, sports performance often has to do with other wildcard factors...

Should a good team conpletely pulverize a weak opponent? Should we beat Central Connecticut by 72 points in December? Or should we use that 30 point lead as an opportunity to mix lineups and experiment with offenses, etc? Get freshmen some court time? Does that experimentation screw up Ken Pom and BPI ? Yes for Kenpom, but who knows for BPI.

Baseball-- do you leave your ace in with a 12-2 lead? or preserve his arm? Or, does a pitcher pitch differently with a 12-2 lead, emphasizing not walking batters? Yes. Does this screw his nunbers up a bit. Yes. Does PECOTA or WAR factor that in? Actuallu i dont know, but i think it should.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:08 pm

billyjack wrote:Also, sports performance often has to do with other wildcard factors...

Should a good team conpletely pulverize a weak opponent? Should we beat Central Connecticut by 72 points in December? Or should we use that 30 point lead as an opportunity to mix lineups and experiment with offenses, etc? Get freshmen some court time? Does that experimentation screw up Ken Pom and BPI ? Yes for Kenpom, but who knows for BPI.

Baseball-- do you leave your ace in with a 12-2 lead? or preserve his arm? Or, does a pitcher pitch differently with a 12-2 lead, emphasizing not walking batters? Yes. Does this screw his nunbers up a bit. Yes. Does PECOTA or WAR factor that in? Actuallu i dont know, but i think it should.

It's a decent point. Maybe those kind of things need to look at data like halftime scores, scores after 30 minutes at least somewhat and not just at the final score.

And yeah I think what you're saying for baseball does get factored in even when up 12-2.
stever20

Postby billyjack » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:20 pm

stever20 wrote:
billyjack wrote:Also, sports performance often has to do with other wildcard factors...

It's a decent point. Maybe those kind of things need to look at data like halftime scores, scores after 30 minutes at least somewhat and not just at the final score.

And yeah I think what you're saying for baseball does get factored in even when up 12-2.

Side note... Bill James... i like his work in general, finding value in overlooked places... etc...

One thing i never cozied up to was his dismissiveness towards a clutch factor... or a weight towards performance in a pennant race... maybe he's changed it up thru the years?

But he used to value these two things the same, for example:

(a) a 9th inning single by Jerry Remy off Gossage in a 1-run playoff-tiebreaker game with 1-out and a runner on 1st.

(b) a leadoff 7th inning single by Frank Duffy with an 8-0 lead at Fenway vs the Twins in May, in a game where Paul Thormodsgard was bounced in the 2nd inning on a Thursday night.

... from what i remember about Bill James, and i think he was stubborn about this, Duffy's hit is given the same value as Remy's hit. That's what i assume Ken Pom etc does too.
Providence
billyjack

Postby stever20 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 2:26 pm

billyjack wrote:
stever20 wrote:

Side note... Bill James... i like his work in general, finding value in overlooked places... etc...

One thing i never cozied up to was his dismissiveness towards a clutch factor... or a weight towards performance in a pennant race... maybe he's changed it up thru the years?

But he used to value these two things the same, for example:

(a) a 9th inning single by Jerry Remy off Gossage in a 1-run playoff-tiebreaker game with 1-out and a runner on 1st.

(b) a leadoff 7th inning single by Frank Duffy with an 8-0 lead at Fenway vs the Twins in May, in a game where Paul Thormodsgard was bounced in the 2nd inning on a Thursday night.

... from what i remember about Bill James, and i think he was stubborn about this, Duffy's hit is given the same value as Remy's hit. That's what i assume Ken Pom etc does too.

I don't think he's changed at all.
stever20

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board