Big East vs. Former Big East Schools

The home for Big East hoops

Postby redmen9194 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:58 am

As a supplement to the Big East vs. Football Five, I wanted to see how the Big East has done against schools that were once in the conference but have since left for lesser leagues. As for UConn, I only counted for them games they played in for the last two years against former BE Teams. However, Big East teams that played them while they were in the other league prior to last season were counted.

Creighton: 1-0 1.000
Xavier: 8-1 .889
St. John's: 7-1 .875
Villanova: 6-2 .750
Seton Hall: 11-4 .733
Providence: 5-2 .714
Butler: 2-1 .667
Marquette: 2-1 .667
Georgetown: 5-3 .625
DePaul: 3-3 .500
UConn: 0-1 .000

Total: 50-19 .725

Now some schools had series at one point or another with certain schools that bump up the game numbers. For example St. John's had a four game series with Syracuse and then also played Rutgers twice, and West Virginia and BC once. Seton Hall and Rutgers play every year as does Xavier and Cincy and the Hoyas and 'Cuse. Providence also had a series with BC. UConn played West Virginia this year for their only entry into the fray. But as you can see, the Big East has handled it's former membership quite well. Extremely well in fact. And, we can add to these totals this week as St. John's will be playing Pitt. I'll update after Saturday's game.
redmen9194

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Big East vs. Former Big East Schools

Postby ecasadoSBU » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:06 pm

wow. Thats a dominant record.
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby redmen9194 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:39 pm

Remember, we were sold back in the day that we were the weaker portion of the Big East and that a conference of just the Catholic Schools regardless of who was added would be like a CYO league. These wins come against Syracuse, Louisville, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Notre Dame, etc. Seems like maybe they were off base in the initial assessment?
redmen9194

Postby ecasadoSBU » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:04 pm

redmen9194 wrote:Remember, we were sold back in the day that we were the weaker portion of the Big East and that a conference of just the Catholic Schools regardless of who was added would be like a CYO league. These wins come against Syracuse, Louisville, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Notre Dame, etc. Seems like maybe they were off base in the initial assessment?

People underestimated the strength of the "Big East" brand back then. They still do. I think the Big East brand is very strong among recruits.

I think the ACC has a brand/identity issue where it is heavily known for its elite Duke-UNC teams but everyone else that joins that league struggles to keep up.

Its a trend that its clearly visible because we have seen it over multiple generations of realignment. It started with the fall of Boston College, and it has continued with Pitt, Syracuse. Yes, Syracuse has had some moderate tourney success but overall is down. Louisville has taken a hit also.

Let's see if they can reverse course in this decade
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby stever20 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:29 pm

ecasadoSBU wrote:
redmen9194 wrote:Remember, we were sold back in the day that we were the weaker portion of the Big East and that a conference of just the Catholic Schools regardless of who was added would be like a CYO league. These wins come against Syracuse, Louisville, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Notre Dame, etc. Seems like maybe they were off base in the initial assessment?

People underestimated the strength of the "Big East" brand back then. They still do. I think the Big East brand is very strong among recruits.

I think the ACC has a brand/identity issue where it is heavily known for its elite Duke-UNC teams but everyone else that joins that league struggles to keep up.

Its a trend that its clearly visible because we have seen it over multiple generations of realignment. It started with the fall of Boston College, and it has continued with Pitt, Syracuse. Yes, Syracuse has had some moderate tourney success but overall is down. Louisville has taken a hit also.

Let's see if they can reverse course in this decade

I think the Big East could be poised to do really well in the era of the immediate transfer. Like better than most conferences.
stever20

Postby Savannah Jay » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:49 pm

ecasadoSBU wrote:

To this point, I think some casual sports fans (not message board nerds, but casual fans) would struggle to name more than half the teams in the ACC. It's gotten so big and, outside of those basketball schools and Clemson in football, few of those schools have distinguished themselves on the field/court.

I agree that our brand is strong with recruits...our brand being basketball crazy schools that aren't distracted by or wasting money on "big time" football (and the one that does kinda care about football has 4 really big basketball trophies).
Savannah Jay

Postby kayako » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:52 pm

stever20 wrote:
I think the Big East could be poised to do really well in the era of the immediate transfer. Like better than most conferences.

I would think the BE has a natural advantage when it comes to boomerang transfers.
supernova
kayako

Postby Django » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:12 pm

Isn’t the Big East the only power conference to not allow Inter-conference transfers? I think this is totally stupid. Any rule that puts us at a disadvantage to other conferences is idiotic imho. I know for sure the B12 allows it. How they doin?
Django

Postby stever20 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:16 pm

Django wrote:Isn’t the Big East the only power conference to not allow Inter-conference transfers? I think this is totally stupid. Any rule that puts us at a disadvantage to other conferences is idiotic imho. I know for sure the B12 allows it. How they doin?

The league scrapped that rule this past off-season.
stever20

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:19 pm

Anyone have Syracuse's record against the current Big East since leaving? Asking because I think it would make a lot of people here smile.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board