Is Georgetown the new DePaul?

The home for Big East hoops

Postby DudeAnon » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:51 am

Question speaks for itself. Georgetown has been reliably futile for almost the entirety of the NBE. DePaul is at least trying with a new AD and Coach. Who has the better decade?
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Is Georgetown the new DePaul?

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:24 am

It will be 22 seasons since DePaul last won an NCAAT game. They have yet to appear in the NCAAT as a member of the Big East, and they certainly have not appeared in either the semifinals or finals of the BET. DePaul is in its own category, as most programs are.

For Georgetown, their struggles remain self-inflicted - caused by the continued to desire to seek a connection to the past with John Thompson. It's what led them to hire JTIII and Patrick Ewing. If you limit the scope for the direction of your program, you will have limited success in creating sustainable success. Ewing and the Hoyas wowed everyone last Spring with their miraculous BET run and championship. Nothing can be taken away from that. However, the lack of collegiate coaching and recruiting experience from Ewing has continued to be abundantly clear since his hire. On the other board, I shared that coaches like Chris Mullin, Penny Hardaway and Patrick Ewing are three head coaches all cut from the same cloth; they never had a day of experience as a collegiate assistant coach. They were big NBA stars that are alums of their current schools. Not having any coaching experience, they lack awareness and understanding in attracting players that play together in a system and actually building a program (rather than just recruiting the best available players every year, to varying results). They come in with great fan fare and star-power, but do not have any understanding of actually coaching a college basketball team. At least Ewing was an NBA assistant coach for many years; Penny and Mullin did not even coach before being named head coaches (and to the Memphis fans, no, being an AAU head coach does not count as experienced...).

Georgetown can easily turn things around in one year. The dilemma for them is if/when they decide to move on from Ewing, they will officially be cutting ties to the Thompson era. Thompson has since passed. JTIII is many years removed. Ewing is a beloved alum, and pushing him out will no doubt be a messy separation. I'd imagine Lee Reed, their AD, has a longer leash with Ewing. Unless the bottom completely falls out, I have a hard time envisioning Ewing getting axed after winning the BET last season. I could see, however, Ewing voluntarily stepping down to return being an NBA assistant coach. He would easily have his choice of picks, if he wanted. Ewing's contract, I believe, runs through next season; there needs to be a commitment or separation after this season, as no coach can operate under a one-year deal for recruiting purposes. We should know by the Spring.

For Georgetown, they need not look further than what St. John's and DePaul (and even Marquette) were able to accomplish when they made difficult head coaching changes. You can turn it around quickly with a proven staff in place. It's funny, but if Marquette didn't get a grand slam in hiring Shaka, I would have thought he would have been perfect for Georgetown. Tommy Amaker was a hot-name the last time there was a search, perhaps he comes up again. With Maryland already opening, they have the upper hand in selecting a new coach, if the Hoyas/Ewing made the decision to separate after the season.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Xuperman » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:35 am

Thanks Dude for starting this thread....a nice place to carry on the interesting debate from yesterday's game thread.

As far as your thread title.....NO, it is not even close. GTown was top half good when the NBE started. DePaul has not been relevant in recent memory. Even though both programs are in throws of total rebuilds, The Hoyas pulled a rabbit out of their ass in MSG nine months ago.

The conversation here should focus on whether GU and DU can somehow not be room mates in the musty Big East basement apartment.
Wisdom is what you get 5 seconds after you needed it.
Xuperman

Postby ArmyVet » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:53 am

Lead article on espn.com

Why Georgetown's return to glory has failed to launch under Patrick Ewing
ON JAN. 7, Patrick Ewing walked to the dais at Capital One Arena in Washington for a postgame media conference. Georgetown had just lost its Big East opener at home to Marquette, and he was not happy with the 28-point defeat.

"As a player who helped build this program, I am disappointed in my team's performance," said Ewing of the 92-64 result, adding, "everybody is on notice."

"This is not what Georgetown basketball is about."

Ewing's sharp words for his team were those of a frustrated coach. But his next statement suggested that both he, and the idling program he leads, have reached a boiling point: "Big John is rolling over in his grave for the performance that we showed tonight."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... rick-ewing
ArmyVet

Postby DeadHeadHoya » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:35 pm

Worse . They are one of the worst teams in the history of the Big East: un fuckkng real it got this bad
DeadHeadHoya

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:58 pm

DeadHeadHoya wrote:Worse . They are one of the worst teams in the history of the Big East: un fuckkng real it got this bad

Its wild, I remember when X was joining the Big East I immediately thought "hell yea, we get to play Marquette and Georgetown twice a year" when in reality I should've been excited about Providence and Seton Hall.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby ArmyVet » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:06 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
DeadHeadHoya wrote:Worse . They are one of the worst teams in the history of the Big East: un fuckkng real it got this bad

Its wild, I remember when X was joining the Big East I immediately thought "hell yea, we get to play Marquette and Georgetown twice a year" when in reality I should've been excited about Providence and Seton Hall.

It would be interesting to somehow quantify the contribution of each of the schools since realignment. Obviously Nova would be #1, but after that I'm not sure. The three new additions would probably all be in the top half while some of the perennial "name" schools would be much lower.
ArmyVet

Postby stever20 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:18 pm

ArmyVet wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:

It would be interesting to somehow quantify the contribution of each of the schools since realignment. Obviously Nova would be #1, but after that I'm not sure. The three new additions would probably all be in the top half while some of the perennial "name" schools would be much lower.

I know since the realignment- Xavier, Creighton, and Butler are 2-4 in NCAA units
Nova 21
Xavier 12
Butler 9
Creighton 7
Providence 6
Seton Hall 5
Georgetown 3
St John's 2
Marquette 2
UConn 1
DePaul 0
stever20

Postby billyjack » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:32 pm

Just tossing a bunch of pre-Ewing Georgetown seasons on this post. I would do Ewing too, but I've run out of energy.

Craig Escherik:
1999 - 15-16 ... 6-12 ... nit. (8-10 under Escherik, 7-6 under JT, Jr.)
2000 - 19-15 ... 6-10 ... nit.
2001 - 25-8 ... 10-6 ... (10-seed) NCAA Sweet-16.
2002 - 19-11 ... 9-7 ...
2003 - 19-15 ... 6-10 ... nit.
2004 - 13-15 ... 4-12 ...

JT3:
2005 - 19-13 ... 8-8 ... nit.
2006 - 23-10 ... 10-6 ... (7) NCAA Sweet-16.
2007 - 30-7 ... 13-3 ... (2) NCAA Final Four.
2008 - 28-6 ... 15-3 ... (2) NCAA round of 32.
2009 - 16-15 ... 7-11 ... nit.
- - - - -
2010 - 23-11 ... 10-8 ... (3) NCAA round of 64.
2011 - 21-11 ... 10-8 ... (6) NCAA round of 64.
2012 - 24-9 ... 12-6 ... (3) NCAA round of 32.
2013 - 25-7 ... 14-4 ... (2) NCAA round of 64.
- - - - -
2014 - 18-15 ... 8-10 ... nit.
2015 - 22-11 ... 12-6 ... (4) NCAA round of 32.
2016 - 15-18 ... 7-11 ...
2017 - 14-18 ... 5-13 ...
NCAA Results:
- - - - -
Escherik:
99 - nit.
00 - nit.
01 - W Arkansas +2 ... W Hampton +19 ... L Maryland -10 ... S-16.
03 - nit.
- - -
JT3:
05 - nit.
06 - W No Iowa +5 ... W Ohio State +18 ... L Florida -4 ... S-16.
07 - W Belmont +25 ... W BC +7 ... W Vandy +1 ... W UNC ot ... L Ohio State-7 ... Final Four ... BET champs.
08 - W UMBC +19 ... L Davidson -4.
09 - nit.
10 - L Ohio U -14.
11 - L VCU -18.
12 - W Belmont +15 ... L NC State -3.
13 - L FGCU -10
14 - nit.
15 - W Eastern Washington +10 ... L Utah -11.
NBA Players:
- - - - -
1999 - Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje.
2000 - Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje.
2001 - Mike Sweetney, Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje.
2002 - Mike Sweetney.
2003 - Mike Sweetney.
2004 ...
-----
2005 - Jeff Green, Roy Hibbert.
2006 - Jeff Green, Roy Hibbert.
2007 - Jeff Green, Roy Hibbert, DaJuan Summers, Pat Ewing, Vernon Macklin.
2008 - Roy Hibbert, DaJuan Summers, Pat Ewing, Vernon Macklin, Chris Wright.
2009 - DaJuan Summers, Greg Monroe, Chris Wright, Henry Sims.
2010 - Greg Monroe, Chris Wright, Hollis Thompson, Henry Sims, Jerrelle Benimon.
2011 - Chris Wright, Hollis Thompson, Henry Sims, Jerrelle Benimon.
2012 - Hollis Thompson, Henry Sims, Otto Porter, Greg Whittington.
2013 - Otto Porter, Greg Whittington.
2014 ...
2015 ...
2016 - Markus Derriickson.
2017 - Markus Derriickson.
Providence
billyjack

Postby MUBoxer » Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:05 pm

DudeAnon wrote:

Yeah I remember thinking that us GTown and nova were going to run the conference... oh to be young and full of dreams
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board