Let's review Marquette... & Wojo Replacement Discussion...

The home for Big East hoops

Postby OmahaGuy » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:23 pm

We continue our reviews with the Golden Eagles of Marquette!

OUT
*Dexter Akanno (transferring)
*Theo John (transferring to Duke)
*Koby McEwen (transferring to Weber State)
*Jamal Cain (transferring to Oakland)
*Symir Torrence (transferring to Syracuse)
*DJ Carton (going pro)

BACK
*Jose Perez
*Greg Elliot
*Justin Lewis
*Dawson Garcia

IN
*Kameron Jones
*Stevie Mitchell
*Emarion Ellis
*Keeyan Itejere
*David Joplin
*Tyler Kolek (transfer from George Mason)
*Olivier-Maxence Prosper (transfer from Clemson)

My 0.02:
The first season of the post-Markus Howard era for Marquette has concluded and it wasn't fun. Finishing 9th in the league and posting a 13-14 overall record. I'll give Wojo one more year but it'll be his do-or-die year. In 7 years, no conference titles, 2 dance appearances but no wins. He's recruited well including recruiting 2 McDonalds All-Americans (Ellenson and Garcia) as well as a once-in-a-generation talent in Howard but even with him for 4 years, not much happened. As for next season, Marquette should have a very good nucleus back in Carton, Garcia, Elliot and I like Lewis too. Recruiting class looks decent. Wojo better make something happen next season, or he'll likely be out of a job.

UPDATE: Wojo is already out. It shall be interesting to see who they hire! The next coach will have good talent to work with and I hope he can recruit! Wojo could recruit but just couldn't mesh them together
UPDATE 2: Marquette hires Shaka Smart! I personally have mixed feelings about the hire. Certainly was a good recruiter at Texas but the Longhorns seemed to underachieve on his watch and the Texas fanbase doesn't really mind seeing him leave Austin. On the other hand, maybe a fresh change of scenery is all he needs! McDermott didn't do well at Iowa State but now has Creighton regularly competing for conference titles and appearing in the dance and now (finally) in the Sweet 16. Dana Altman didn't do great at Kansas State but built Creighton into an MVC power and now has built Oregon into one of the premier programs not only in the Pac 12 but all of the country. Some places you fit well, other places...not so much

Anyway, what say you Marquette fans?
Last edited by OmahaGuy on Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:49 am, edited 16 times in total.
OmahaGuy

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Let's review Marquette

Postby MUBoxer » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:21 pm

Fact based analysis on why Wojo has to go.

http://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2021/03 ... i.html?m=1

Also there's a truck with a fire Wojo billboard on campus today
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby hoyahooligan » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:01 pm

Will be interesting to see if Wojo stays.

Has 3 nice pieces in Garcia, Carton, and Lewis to build around and another solid recruiting class.
hoyahooligan

Postby eye of the jay » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:05 pm

Georgetown just did what a lot of people around the Big East thought Marquette might be able to do going into NYC - win 4 games in 4 days to reach the tourney. Instead, they came out with absolutely no fire and got their doors blown off. I think all the goodwill that Wojo may have accrued after the UNC game went away there.

I do think with the talent level of his returnees and the recruiting class he has coming in, the administration is going to wait until this next year. However, outside of a BE tourney or regular season title or a NCAAT win, I don't see him coming back after that. I'm also not sure what his buyout clause would be, and I'm sure athletic departments around the country are really hurting financially right now.

My .02 is if he doesn't exceed expectations next year with a top-half BE finish and tournament win, send him packing.
eye of the jay

Postby MUPanther » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:30 pm

I saw the truck in person today. Very funny!
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:25 pm

I personally would like to see a new coach, a new voice and new energy for MUBB. Seven years is a long time for so little postseason success and/accolades, not to mention two losing seasons and average, at best, conference play.

Not sure it happens, but the voices are getting louder. It's not in anyone's best interest for Wojo to stay next year. Fans will be on him for every loss, and with so little incoming impact players, expecting a different result would be foolish.

Lots of strong available coaches right now. Let someone else try their hand.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby SJUBBALL » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:41 pm

Wojo out
SJUBBALL

Postby OmahaGuy » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:43 pm

Holy crap!! I didn't see that coming. At least, not this year. It shall be interesting to see who they hire? Who do you want Marquette fans?
OmahaGuy

Postby aughnanure » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:50 pm

OmahaGuy wrote:Holy crap!! I didn't see that coming. At least, not this year. It shall be interesting to see who they hire? Who do you want Marquette fans?

No idea. Didn't believe this was actually going to happen this year. More just happy to finally move on.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes to make it possible”
aughnanure

Postby Angry Dan » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:58 pm

WOJO

is gone
Angry Dan

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board