St. Joseph's

The home for Big East hoops

Re: St. Joseph's

Postby DeltaV » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:45 pm

Did a Villanova person push you around or something when you were a kid? You spend more time in this thread, which is supposed to be about St. Joes, complaining about Nova.

Nova doesn't have to 'block' St. Joes, because they're not the same caliber team as the others being considered. Even without considering the desire to expand to include more media and recruiting markets, St. Joes isn't the same caliber team as others being considered. If you think it is, lets hear your reasons, otherwise stop crying about big bad Nova being mean.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby NDGradXUFan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:38 pm

DeltaV wrote:Did a Villanova person push you around or something when you were a kid? You spend more time in this thread, which is supposed to be about St. Joes, complaining about Nova.

No. I grew up in Ohio, and until I moved to D.C., I only knew one person who ever attended Villanova. Irrespective of whether Villanova would actually take active steps to block St. Joe's invitation into the league, the suggestion is always met with flat rejection and one rationale - "Nova, Nova, Nova." In other words, even if Villanova isn't blocking an invitation, they are always cited as the primary reason St. Joe's shouldn't be in the league.

DeltaV wrote:Nova doesn't have to 'block' St. Joes, because they're not the same caliber team as the others being considered. Even without considering the desire to expand to include more media and recruiting markets, St. Joes isn't the same caliber team as others being considered. If you think it is, lets hear your reasons, otherwise stop crying about big bad Nova being mean.

Again, the Nova hubris rears its head. St. Joe's has a respectable program, good history, and intense fan base (even if smaller than Nova's). And if you don't think being in the same league would enhance the rivalry, and potentially elevate St. Joe's to your level, then you're crazy, arrogant, in denial, or some combination thereof.
Last edited by NDGradXUFan on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
NDGradXUFan

Postby DeltaV » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:33 pm

NDGradXUFan wrote:
DeltaV wrote:Did a Villanova person push you around or something when you were a kid? You spend more time in this thread, which is supposed to be about St. Joes, complaining about Nova.

No. I grew up in Ohio, and until I moved to D.C., I only knew one person who ever attended Villanova. Irrespective of whether Villanova would actually take active steps to block St. Joe's invitation into the league, the suggestion is always met rejection and one rationale - "Nova, Nova, Nova." In other words, even if Villanova isn't blocking an invitation, they are always cited as the primary reason St. Joe's shouldn't be in the league.

DeltaV wrote:Nova doesn't have to 'block' St. Joes, because they're not the same caliber team as the others being considered. Even without considering the desire to expand to include more media and recruiting markets, St. Joes isn't the same caliber team as others being considered. If you think it is, lets hear your reasons, otherwise stop crying about big bad Nova being mean.

Again, the Nova hubris rears its head. St. Joe's has a respectable program, good history, and intense fan base (even if smaller than Nova's). And if you don't think being in the same league would enhance the rivalry, and potentially elevate St. Joe's to your level, then you're crazy, arrogant, in denial, or some combination thereof.

"Respectable". Maybe they would rise to the occasion...but again, you are just making my point for me when you say that they would need to rise to be at the level of the rest of the conference, or at least the teams being considered for invitation. Nova's position towards St. Joes is a non-issue if no one else wants them either.

Do you have any basketball argument that St. Joes belongs in the conference?
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby NDGradXUFan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:32 pm

DeltaV wrote: Do you have any basketball argument that St. Joes belongs in the conference?

Yeah, I just made it.
NDGradXUFan

Postby DeltaV » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:39 am

NDGradXUFan wrote:
DeltaV wrote: Do you have any basketball argument that St. Joes belongs in the conference?

Yeah, I just made it.

So your whole arguement is that it is a decent basketball program with a small, Nova hating fanbase? We are trying to build a national conference; at least Dayton can state that they are a separate market than Xavier and has historical rivalries with other Big East teams such as Marquette and DePaul. St Joes doesn't have the success or anything else to bring to the conference besides a rivalry with Nova.

Why do you think St Joes is more deserving than Dayton or Richmond? Because that is what matters, not a precieved slight from Nova.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby classof29 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:54 am

How is this argument still going? It shouldn't have even started in the first place.

I like St. Joes, I am sure most do, but they are not the caliber program that the Big East is looking for. It's that simple. Just throwing out the name of a school and saying "why not" isn't going to change anything.
Providence College
classof29

Postby xu95 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:19 pm

classof29 wrote:How is this argument still going? It shouldn't have even started in the first place.

I like St. Joes, I am sure most do, but they are not the caliber program that the Big East is looking for. It's that simple. Just throwing out the name of a school and saying "why not" isn't going to change anything.

I'm with you. How does a school that has less of a chance of getting an invite to the Big East than Siena does, get seven pages discussing them?
xu95

Postby Muskie » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:38 pm

classof29 wrote:How is this argument still going? It shouldn't have even started in the first place.

Look I like Martelli. He's good for a soundbite and a decent coach. I don't see St. Joe's being the next addition. There are many schools I think should be considered way before St. Joe's.
Muskie

Postby classof29 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:12 pm

Muskie wrote:

Look I like Martelli. He's good for a soundbite and a decent coach. I don't see St. Joe's being the next addition. There are many schools I think should be considered way before St. Joe's.

So your agreeing with me? OK, lets let this thread die.
Providence College
classof29

Postby xnatic03 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:16 am

While St. Joe's has been a great rival to Xavier in the A10, they aren't deserving of an invite to the new league. They have had too many average to down years lately, and their facilities aren't very good, not to mention that Nova is already in the same market. This isn't the Jameer Nelson/Delonte West or even the Pat Calathes version of SJU. They were supposed to be good this year and greatly underachieved. I just don't see the point in adding them when Saint Louis and Richmond could be added (or even another eastern team, for geographical balance). I wouldn't mind seeing X play a home and home with SJU in the future, to keep a bit of the rivalry alive.
xnatic03

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board