Word is the billikens....

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Word is the billikens....

Postby BillEsq » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:08 pm

one more article, this one speaking directly about the uconn mess... as you can see SLU is well above the 900 barrier

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... 13-tourney

So... no Uconn mess at Slu,

X - congrats on getting into the Big East and lets just focus on making it 12 now... :roll:
BillEsq

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby X- Marks the Top » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:22 am

Yes exactly what I saw on tru tv during the game last night. Kinda worded it a bit harshly I guess. My apologies. Just was wondering if any SLU fans had any inside knowledge. Not trolling , just figured this is where I could come find out what was up.
X-fan since birth!!!!!
X- Marks the Top

Postby X- Marks the Top » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:27 am

Agreed on the 12. Would like to see the bills and vcu added. I just don't know if VCU fits the mold of the big east by what I heard at the press conference this morning. But basketball wise makes plenty of sense. SLU, nice city to tap into, with St. Louis we would have some of the biggest markets in the Midwest. If not vcu I know plenty of people would like to see dayton. But to me It would be a toss up between dayton and Richmond. I just don't see the point of dayton with X just 50 mikes south in the same state. Vcu or Richmond would be my pick.
X-fan since birth!!!!!
X- Marks the Top

Postby TRN » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:33 am

The irony is that Kevin Lisch (09) and Brian Conklin (12) were both academic All-Americans while being the team leading scorers and all-conference their senior seasons. Plus, Dwayne Evans likely will get the same honors this year and/or next.

So, it not a result of SLU taking on scholarship players that are terrible students or them going pro early. But, it's a flawed metric set up by the NCAA to punish schools that don't take the student portion of student-athlete serious. It's pretty absurd that schools like Kentucky with the one and dones are not on be list. Further proof that the system can be cheated.
TRN

Postby Muskie » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:55 pm

I'm more concerned that Jim Crews may be rewarded for this season and given a long term contract at SLU. That would be the dagger to SLU's chances, in my opinion, going forward. He can't coach Majerus' guys forever.

I can't help but wonder if Majerus would have been against SLU in the Big East. He railed against the travel schedule of the A-10.
Muskie

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:59 pm

@Muskie

Is there a reason your so down on Jim Crews?
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Muskie » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:17 pm

DudeAnon wrote:@Muskie

He's never really won anywhere with his own players. He was a below .500 coach before adding in this 27-6 Season with SLU. All i'm saying is SLU has built an incredible arena and has some momentum going. They should avoid doing what Indiana did with Mike Davis.
Muskie

Postby BillEsq » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:18 pm

Muskie wrote:I'm more concerned that Jim Crews may be rewarded for this season and given a long term contract at SLU. That would be the dagger to SLU's chances, in my opinion, going forward. He can't coach Majerus' guys forever.

I can't help but wonder if Majerus would have been against SLU in the Big East. He railed against the travel schedule of the A-10.

Serious are you trying to gloat. Crews will be fine. He has already recruited a strong shooting guard for next year and it looks like we will have a few more system players lined up for the future. And while its always tough to predict 2 years down the road it looks like we will have a strong class in two years as well. Crews has an AD that supports him and most people consider him a high basketball IQ guy.

I don't know why people keep bringing up the whole Majerus thing. That comment has now been so taken out of context and blown out of proportion its silly. If you really think Majerus would have been against Slu being in the Big East you should have your head checked.

Seriously shouldn't you X fans be out celebrating as opposed to talking trash to other teams.
BillEsq

Postby BillEsq » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:21 pm

Muskie wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:@Muskie

He's never really won anywhere with his own players. He was a below .500 coach before adding in this 27-6 Season with SLU. All i'm saying is SLU has built an incredible arena and has some momentum going. They should avoid doing what Indiana did with Mike Davis.

The guy coached at Army for 7 years. If we take out this season do we get to selectively take out that one as well. Look Crews did well at Evansville and most Evansville fans still speak fondly of him. Seriously, go find something else to do your giving X fans a bad name.
Last edited by BillEsq on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BillEsq

Postby Muskie » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:22 pm

I wasn't talking trash, just throwing it out there that Jim Crews might not be the long term answer. Enjoy your tournament game. Sorry I offended you apparently.
Muskie

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board