Word is the billikens....

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Word is the billikens....

Postby rove02 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:29 pm

BillEsq wrote:
The guy coached at Army for 7 years. If we take out this season do we get to selectively take out that one as well. Look Crews did well at Evansville and most Evansville fans still speak fondly of him. Seriously, go find something else to do your giving X fans a bad name.

Easy man... what did he say that seemed like he was trying to "gloat"? All he did was question whether Crews was the right choice going forward, something I have heard others bring up, including SLU fans. Making the wrong choice for head coach can set a program back quite a bit. SLU is on a hot streak, but get the wrong coach and all the built up momentum could go to waste.

You come off as a overly sensitive when someone wasn't even taking a shot at your school. A trait that I see a lot in X fans as well. The funny thing is most of your posts that I have read prior to this have seemed completely rational and level headed, so I'm not sure where this came from. If it is stemming from not making the first cut today, I thought it was pretty well accepted that these three schools were going to be the first 3. It's not really a big deal though, I think most see SLU as the favorite when the league goes to 12.
rove02

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BillEsq » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:04 am

LOL sorry it was a touchy day for me Bellarmine lost in the Sweet 16 the night before. That said people in Indiana don't usually think to highly of Davis and Davis is widely lampooned here in Kentucky. It seemed odd that someone would compare Crews who has well over 300 victories and multiple NCAA appearances in a 22 year career to a first time head coach who failed and has since earned a reputation as a multiple program killer.

So, I'm sorry if i took it the wrong way. Just cultural difference, I guess people don't realize that us Kentuckians would consider being a Mike Davis as a grave insult.
BillEsq

Postby Muskie » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:15 am

BillEsq wrote:LOL sorry it was a touchy day for me Bellarmine lost in the Sweet 16 the night before. That said people in Indiana don't usually think to highly of Davis and Davis is widely lampooned here in Kentucky. It seemed odd that someone would compare Crews who has well over 300 victories and multiple NCAA appearances in a 22 year career to a first time head coach who failed and has since earned a reputation as a multiple program killer.

So, I'm sorry if i took it the wrong way. Just cultural difference, I guess people don't realize that us Kentuckians would consider being a Mike Davis as a grave insult.

No worries most of my family is IU (i'm the lone X alum). I've always liked following SLU (almost went there for Law School) so I tend to pay attention (and visit billikens.com). Mike Davis was the first instance I thought of (a guy getting a job because he had one good season). I didn't mean to make it WWIII level insult. I hope you guys do well in the tournament.

My second comment about Majerus and the Big East had to do with seeing several posts over the past 2-3 years that Majerus didn't like the "travel" of the A-10 (which people took to mean he wanted in the MVC). Then there was the whole charter flight thing between him and Biondi. So I do wonder what he would want. Although I think you're correct that the overall prestige of the Big East makes up for travel.
Muskie

Postby BillEsq » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:34 am

It happens to the worst of us. Davis said some pretty inflammatory things about Kentuckians but i guess thats not really first thing to come to the minds of people on here, actually i don't think most biliken fans would have taken it that way.

That whole Majerus travel thing is a hoot. He brought it up every year... in Olean.... Majerus hated Olean and the fact that they had to take the bus there infuriated him. I'm pretty sure he would have preferred the Summit Conference to playing in Olean. There used to be some funny Bonnie cartoons on you tube making fun of Majerus i highly recommend seeing them if they are still out there. That said there is no doubt that Majerus would have wanted the Big East. I think the only thing that would have made him think twice would have been if the Bonnies were brought in as team #12. :lol:
BillEsq

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board