Calling Boston Friar

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Calling Boston Friar

Postby Throwbackmuskie » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:30 am

Sounds like from the presser it will be 10 and only 10 for the next 12 years! This would be great news.
Throwbackmuskie

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:37 am

10 and only 10 for 12 years? Where did you hear that?

I have been listening to the presser but am at work and can only give half-attention.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby ArmyVet » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:40 am

DudeAnon wrote:10 and only 10 for 12 years? Where did you hear that?

I have been listening to the presser but am at work and can only give half-attention.

I didn't hear it quite that way. Someone is bound to ask about future additions right?
ArmyVet

Postby podcast411 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:08 am

Here is the letter from UD about the exit of X and Bulter:

From UD: The University of Dayton will continue to aggressively pursue the best interests of the institution, our student-athletes, alumni, supporters and fans. The University is committed to being both a Catholic leader in higher education and fielding highly competitive athletic programs.

As you are aware, Butler University and Xavier University have delivered notice of their intent to withdraw from the Athletic 10 conference. The Atlantic 10 will continue to make decisions to enhance the strength and brand of the conference.

A period of instability has persisted within intercollegiate athletics for the last few years and will continue. Details surrounding conference realignment are highly confidential.

The University will continue to communicate with our alumni, supporters and fans about any significant developments impacting our conference affiliation.

The University of Dayton is committed to competing in a conference that provides a platform for success for all of our sports programs and, specifically, men’s basketball. University and athletics administration continue to make conference affiliation a top priority.

Interesting wording - nothing about being fully committed to the A-10. Which you would expect if we were told no for the future. But there is wording about communicating significant developments impacting our conference affiliation. My guess this letter was vaguely worded to keep as many people as possible from canceling season tickets upon reaction of X jumping to the BE.
podcast411

Postby QueRico » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:17 am

Fr. Shanley stated that recruits were not going to have to worry about "what teams are leaving or what teams are coming in".
Later Adam Zagoria asked him point blank if they were going to expand to 12, and if Dayton & StL were under consideration, and Fr. Shanley tap danced around the question. So I guess nothing has changed there.
QueRico

Postby xu95 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:12 pm

yorost wrote:
xu95 wrote:Don't be shocked if VCU ends up being team #12 with SLU.

While that wouldn't be a surprise, are you just guessing or do you have a solid reason to believe so? I know the VCU folk think the boat has sailed, but it's still just rumors we're basing everything off of. If they had significant support at any point, I doubt it just vanished. Until I hear the 12 teams announced, I have a hard time believing they're not in play, I don't buy the notion of a whole private only thing as a mandate.

Just a rumor I heard yesterday. It sounds like they are picking up steam again.
xu95

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board