Conference Realignment: What Next?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Conference Realignment: What Next?

Postby MUPanther » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:27 am

ArmyVet wrote:
stever20 wrote:UMass going to the MAC all sports. Leaving the A10.

Confirms that college football, even if it's bad college football, still drives the bus.

Yep. The MAC is much solid for UMass for than being an indy. i believe a stepdown for hoops.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:31 am

MUPanther wrote:
ArmyVet wrote:

Confirms that college football, even if it's bad college football, still drives the bus.

Yep. The MAC is much solid for UMass for than being an indy. i believe a stepdown for hoops.

maybe, but especially if Dayton were to leave for the Big East, it's not a huge stepdown at all. This isn't the old A10 at all.
stever20

Postby Omaha1 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:01 am

If we end up inviting Dayton, I’ll eat my shoe.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby FenwayFriar » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:16 am

MUPanther wrote:
ArmyVet wrote:

At first it was jarring to hear the news solely based on the history UMass has with the A10, but the more I thought about it the more I think it's the right move even for their basketball team. The way the A10 has trended in recent years, UMass likely would need to win their conference tournament to get a bid regardless of what league they're in. They've only had one NCAA bid since 1998, so it's not like their current situation is working out great. They should have a much easier time dominating a league and getting that auto bid in the MAC than A10. The only issue is being able to keep the recruiting/fan support/NIL at its current level. Northeastern based players/fans won't be getting quite as hyped for a Ball State, Western Michigan, Bowling Green and conference tournament in Cleveland like they would for a URI, St Bonny, St Joes and conference tournament in Brooklyn/DC.
FenwayFriar

Postby stever20 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:19 am

FenwayFriar wrote:At first it was jarring to hear the news solely based on the history UMass has with the A10, but the more I thought about it the more I think it's the right move even for their basketball team. The way the A10 has trended in recent years, UMass likely would need to win their conference tournament to get a bid regardless of what league they're in. They've only had one NCAA bid since 1998, so it's not like their current situation is working out great. They should have a much easier time dominating a league and getting that auto bid in the MAC than A10. The only issue is being able to keep the recruiting/fan support/NIL at its current level. Northeastern based players/fans won't be getting quite as hyped for a Ball State, Western Michigan, Bowling Green and conference tournament in Cleveland like they would for a URI, St Bonny, St Joes and conference tournament in Brooklyn/DC.

problem is they only played like this year URI and St Bonny 2x of those schools. Along with GW and La Salle.
stever20

Postby FenwayFriar » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:40 am

stever20 wrote:
FenwayFriar wrote:At first it was jarring to hear the news solely based on the history UMass has with the A10, but the more I thought about it the more I think it's the right move even for their basketball team. The way the A10 has trended in recent years, UMass likely would need to win their conference tournament to get a bid regardless of what league they're in. They've only had one NCAA bid since 1998, so it's not like their current situation is working out great. They should have a much easier time dominating a league and getting that auto bid in the MAC than A10. The only issue is being able to keep the recruiting/fan support/NIL at its current level. Northeastern based players/fans won't be getting quite as hyped for a Ball State, Western Michigan, Bowling Green and conference tournament in Cleveland like they would for a URI, St Bonny, St Joes and conference tournament in Brooklyn/DC.

problem is they only played like this year URI and St Bonny 2x of those schools. Along with GW and La Salle.

At least they still had those few times they could circle the calendar and actually get excited for some teams they had solid history with. Not that UMass currently draws all that well, but now trying to draw a crowd in Amherst for their in-conference slate is going to be a tough sell. Their Athletic Dept has their work cut out for them. I would assume Buffalo becomes their closest in-conference "rival" solely based on geography. Will be interesting to see if they start to schedule more games in Boston, which I think they should. Get some buses with bathrooms and bus the students out there. And get all those alums living in Boston and the burbs. I would assume both UMass and URI would want to continue a yearly non-con game into perpetuity as that's the best rival UMass has. Overall not a perfect move for UMass by any means but I can see why they did it.
FenwayFriar

Postby Xudash » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:04 pm

If this news doesn't prove that change is constant, I don't know what does. Many of us here recall UMASS and Calipari in the 90's and the success they enjoyed, tainted or otherwise.

Xavier joined the A10 in 1994. It was a major move for X at the time. The A10 at that time had some solid programs in it. Calipari and UMASS came to Cincinnati for the first time when they were ranked #1 in the nation. Xavier was playing in the Cincinnati Gardens at the time. The place was rocking. The game went to overtime. X lost. But I still remember looking up to UMASS and hoping that X could keep building its program.

UMASS joining the Mid American Conference is strange news in certain circles, including mine. At least they should be able to chalk up a W against Travis Steele in Oxford, OH.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby zebrapoodle23 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:57 pm

Xudash wrote: But I still remember looking up to UMASS and hoping that X could keep building its program.

Life has a funny way of working out sometimes
zebrapoodle23

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:12 pm

During the Calipari years, there could have easily been a pathway for UMass to slide into the Big East and, quite possibly, never move to FBS football. Outside of the Calipari-era, you're looking at a men's basketball program with four combined NCAAT appearances. That's the same level of an ECU or Tulane. Calipari, astonishingly, did so much more with less at UMass and turned them into a national title contender.

I know a lot of UMass fans are divided over this one, but this is ultimately the best move for the athletic department moving forward. It can better compete not just in football, but basketball as well. I think UMass could easily be a top-4 team in the MAC in most years, leading to more tournament opportunities.

As an aside, the A-10 regularly has quality teams capable of making the tournament. However, between non-con performances and so many bottom teams (either with wins or with upset losses), it'll be challenging to regularly compete for multiple bids in a given year. Going to 14 can be a good thing for them.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby blunderbuss » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:54 am

Omaha1 wrote:If we end up inviting Dayton, I’ll eat my shoe.

Big East would be stupid not to in my opinion. I think having Dayton in w/ Xavier would be a feature not a bug.
blunderbuss

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board